Somerset County Council
Happiness score is 71 out of 100

Somerset County Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom123 reviews

scccouncilorganisationcountypensionvariedrolesocial

Very busy but great teamwork

Can't say anything really negative, a few bad management decisions here and there, but overall good management and great teammates within Democratic Services.

Pros

Work from home a lot

Cons

Heavy workload

Great team, progressive and informative manager

Great option to home work, helpful team that also we’re home based during pandemic. Lots of communication and assistance to guide you in the right direction. Strong management

Insights into Somerset County Council

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction

Lovely and accepting work place

Very lovely and helpful to staff if you need reasonable adjustments they will try and get lots of employe assistance programs lovely friendly staff though out

3 May 2022
Thank you for your review - I'm so pleased you are enjoying working at Somerset County Council and finding it a supportive place to work.

Could make improvements for staff work life balance. Management should could be more empathetic towards the experiences of front line workers.

Management roles and responsibilities can be all consuming and distract from the recognition that frontline workers deserve. Working environment varies depending on who is working!

Pros

Local Authority pension

Cons

Inconsistent shift patterns, restrictive holiday requests, salary not so competitive, poorly paid sleepins

3 May 2022
Thank you for your feedback which is really valuable to us. We will work with our HR team to ensure this gets fed back to the team. If you would like to provide any further feedback you can email us at recruitment@somerset.gov.uk

I have never felt such a valued member of a team before!

I have been employed since October 2021, the role is varied, fast paced and sometimes unpredictable - nature of this role! I have never felt so proud to be a part of a wonderful team, everyone is friendly, helpful and genuine. There is some stress to this role, and the staff do really feel it - I believe it’s because they genuinely care and want to do right by the families they work with.Management and senior staff - All highly knowledgable and approachable/friendly. I feel they actually do care! Training and ongoing personal development - the training I had was OUTSTANDING, I was new to this type of work and I found it easy to follow and it was made interesting. There is always training available to book into, personal development is highly supported in this role. After many years in private health care this was the best decision I made!

3 May 2022
We loved reading your review and are so pleased you are enjoying the role and being supported by your team and managers!

Inclusive and determined.

Working here is great - fantastic colleagues and management, as well as a desire to help those who use our services. Improvement of yourself within your field is also highly encouraged.

Pros

Work/life balance, training, structured management.

Cons

Local government pay isn't the greatest!

3 May 2022
Thanks for taking the time to review working for Somerset County Council. We're really happy you are finding it an inclusive place to work with opportunities for development.

Very welcoming and friendly

I've been here a few months so far as a library assistant, but it's been really welcoming and friendly. The customers have been respectful, the staff are great and the management are hugely helpful with their constructive feedback that allows you time to act on it. An extensive training period of six months allows plenty of time for development, with management that are flexible about working overtime that is easy to pickup depending on where you are.

Pros

A work laptop

Cons

N/a

3 May 2022
Thanks for your review, it's great to hear you're enjoying your role and have benefitted from the training we offer.

Supportive working environment

I have worked for Somerset County Council for 3.5 years, and could not imagine working anywhere else. We have been supported and valued throughout the pandemic. I particularly recommend this local authority because of the emphasis placed on reflective supervision. This is embedded within policy. Advancement opportunities are there if you want them and progression is encouraged and supported. Salary and annual leave allowances are very fair.

Pros

Supportive culture, flexible working, excellent IT support

3 May 2022
Thanks for taking the time to share your positive feedback and highlighting our emphasis on reflective supervision.

I could not be happier i joined Somerset County Council!!

Wow without waffling!!Ive been with the council 12 weeks and working with them has changed my life!! benefits include- Friendly team- Supportive management- Great benefits- No bank holidays- Christmas- OFF WORK!!- Career opportunities- Part of projects for the future to shape development- Work life balanceThe list goes on!!

Pros

All of it!!

Cons

None as yet!!

3 May 2022
We're happy that you are happy working for Somerset County Council :) We have some great benefits and I'm really pleased you are able to make use of all these and settling into your role.

Productive and motivational.

Currently learning a whole new aspect of emergency response. It is good working from home but my induction is a little difficult at times as I can't watch and learn.

Pros

Happy place.

Cons

Little too much talking at times. Pay is not reflective.

3 May 2022
Thanks for your review - it's great to hear you are benefitting from learning a whole new area of work. Hopefully now we have moved to hybrid working future inductions and training might be easier.

A fun place to work

Overall enjoyed working for SCC only left as moving to Wales to start a new life.. All my work colleagues were spot on. Would still be there if not moving away......

Pros

Flexible wotking

Cons

None really

20 July 2021
Thanks for your review and good luck with your move to Wales!

Working for SCC is better than I expected

I was apprehensive working for a local authority again after over a decade in the third sector. I was worried progress would be slow and collaboration minimal. I have been so pleased to be so wrong. I've seen so much collaboration, innovation and creativity. A complete focus on the best interests of the families we support. I've been in post 6 months now, some really great training opportunities too.

Pros

Flexibility, collaboration, care

Cons

Usual pressures of the sector - but always looking for solutions which is a plus

13 May 2021
Thank-you for your review. We are delighted that you are enjoying your first 6 months and that working for us has surpassed your expectations!

Highly recommend

A great place to work, supportive team managers who you can approach with ease across all teams. Lots of accessible training with ability to specialise in areas. Full support in progressing your career in the direction you wish. Somerset now has specialised workers based in social work teams including substance misuse, DV and mental health, no more lengthy referrals and families are offered support without delay. Great team spirit with team members working together, sharing knowledge and helping each other out when needed. Job security 5*.

Pros

Supportive team environment, good humor amongst all including management, regular supervision, job security and fabulous accessible training.

Cons

Always cake in the office - no good for waist line!

13 April 2021
Thanks for reviewing Somerset County Council. We're delighted to hear your positive experience working here, and hope you have some good cake recipes to share :)

Supportive work place

I have worked for Somerset County Council for 8 years in a number of roles. No two days are the same and I enjoy the variety.The workplace culture is relaxed and supportive. I have always had good support for both peers and management. The good team ethos is one of the best parts of the job.Progression is a priority within Somerset and workers are supported to take steps to work towards new, advanced roles.

Pros

Great team ethos

Cons

Would like better retention incentives for permanent staff

13 April 2021
Thanks for your positive review of Somerset County Council! We're pleased to hear you are enjoying your time with us.

Wouldn't work anywhere else

Worked for SCC for 5 years; significant positive improvements across the whole service means it is a positive, progressive, and supportive organisation

Pros

Supportive management, career progression, creative working, ongoing improvements, CPD opportunities.

13 April 2021
Thanks for reviewing Somerset County Council. We're delighted to hear you are enjoying your time with us.

A great place to progress yourself

I have worked for SCC for 6 years and in that time they have really invested in my personal development, as a result I started as a newly qualified worker and am now part of the management team. I have really felt part of the SCC journey.

Pros

Investment in your future

Cons

Sometimes lots of pressure but this is fine if you like to rise to a challenge

13 April 2021
Thanks for taking time to write your review. We're really pleased to hear you've been able to take advantage of the progression opportunities available. Thanks for all your hard work!

Safe, enjoyable place to work

Somerset are always looking at ways to improve; training opportunities are available and workers are encouraged to develop. I feel able to have a good work/life balance, and am really pleased with the management team. Caseloads are extremely manageable, the area we work in (Taunton) is lovely, and morale amongst our team is high.

Pros

Training opportunities, good work/life balance, satisfactory pay

13 April 2021
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate your positive feedback.

4 weeks in and my Work/Life balance already feels amazing

4 weeks into working for Somerset county council and the difference in my work/life balance is amazing.The help and support received is top class and everyone is so friendly and willing to listen and help even when extremely busy.Am loving my new job and everyone I have met and worked with so far.

Pros

Work life balance

13 April 2021
Thanks for taking time to leave us a review, we're delighted you are settling in and enjoying your new role.

Supportive Employer

I've worked for SCC for seventeen years and have worked my way up from being an admin assistant to a manager of a very small but efficient team working within adults and health social care finance. In a typical day, we deal with many customer queries as we are quite front facing even though we work within finance. It is fast paced and busy with no two days being the same. It can be challenging but I like that. I have found my senior management team to be very supportive and flexible. There is always opportunities for training and development as well advancing through the company. It is very satisfying to know what my team and I do is making a difference.

Pros

Flexible working, Supportive, Good work and home life balance, Great team mentality but little micro management, Sense of pride in making a difference

Cons

Can be stressful, Crazy busy, Can feel a sense of responsibility as a representative of the council

13 April 2021
Thanks for your positive feedback. We're really pleased you've taken advantage of the progression opportunities available - thank you for all your hard work over the last 17 years!

progressive and innovative place to work!

I have worked at Somerset CC for 5 years in total, with a break of a year in between 2 jobs.I have worked in both Children's Social Care and now work in Mental Health Social Care. I left Children's Social Care to pursue a career more focused around mental health, however soon realised that I missed being a Social Worker in a statutory organisation and came back to Somerset CC and joined the Mental Health Social Care team as a Social Worker. In terms of the speciality I work within, I have learnt huge amounts of new knowledge and continue to do so! What I love about Somerset CC, is that individual progression is very much promoted and tailored to how you wish to develop yourself. I have been lucky to have the opportunities to develop into a management role since joining the council again and this has been a great learning curve for me and gives me more motivation to continue with my onward career goals!It is a demanding job but the support and positive work culture makes it a great place to work. My job is fast paced and this works well for me, it keeps the job exciting and new challenges to tackle!Work life balance is very promoted in my work culture, so it is difficult to specify the 'hardest' parts as there is someone to talk to when needed and supervision is a core part of our practice in Social Care at Somerset CC. A big thing I have learnt over the last few years is that we have the opportunity to make an impact and turn the more difficult situations into something positive and this can boost personal and team morale significantly. Putting that time and effort into -

13 April 2021
Thank you for taking time to write a detailed review of your role and working at Somerset County Council. We're delighted you're enjoying the job and working at Somerset County Council.

I have a really supportive management and work with a team of really friendly and helpful colleagues. The work is varied and ever changing which i really like and we're often trail blazing in comparison to other councils when it comes to transformation and ICT. We are able to work flexibly which is really useful for work/life balance and there are good opportunities to train, learn from others and continuously develop.

Pros

Opportunities to develop and learn, flexible working options, supportive managers, good office environment and tools to work from home

Cons

A large organisation so culture and management can vary in different teams

18 November 2020
Thank you for your positive feedback. We agree, there's been some fantastic trail blazing achievements from our ICT and digital teams recently and more on the way. Thanks for taking time to write your review.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Somerset County Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Somerset County Council with

Learn about Somerset County Council in popular locations

• Somerset County Council
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?