Somerset County Council

Somerset County Council Employee Reviews in Taunton

Productive and motivational.

Currently learning a whole new aspect of emergency response. It is good working from home but my induction is a little difficult at times as I can't watch and learn.

Pros

Happy place.

Cons

Little too much talking at times. Pay is not reflective.

Highly recommend

A great place to work, supportive team managers who you can approach with ease across all teams. Lots of accessible training with ability to specialise in areas. Full support in progressing your career in the direction you wish. Somerset now has specialised workers based in social work teams including substance misuse, DV and mental health, no more lengthy referrals and families are offered support without delay. Great team spirit with team members working together, sharing knowledge and helping each other out when needed. Job security 5*.

Pros

Supportive team environment, good humor amongst all including management, regular supervision, job security and fabulous accessible training.

Cons

Always cake in the office - no good for waist line!

13 April 2021
Thanks for reviewing Somerset County Council. We're delighted to hear your positive experience working here, and hope you have some good cake recipes to share :)

Safe, enjoyable place to work

Somerset are always looking at ways to improve; training opportunities are available and workers are encouraged to develop. I feel able to have a good work/life balance, and am really pleased with the management team. Caseloads are extremely manageable, the area we work in (Taunton) is lovely, and morale amongst our team is high.

Pros

Training opportunities, good work/life balance, satisfactory pay

13 April 2021
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate your positive feedback.

4 weeks in and my Work/Life balance already feels amazing

4 weeks into working for Somerset county council and the difference in my work/life balance is amazing.The help and support received is top class and everyone is so friendly and willing to listen and help even when extremely busy.Am loving my new job and everyone I have met and worked with so far.

Pros

Work life balance

13 April 2021
Thanks for taking time to leave us a review, we're delighted you are settling in and enjoying your new role.

Supportive Employer

I've worked for SCC for seventeen years and have worked my way up from being an admin assistant to a manager of a very small but efficient team working within adults and health social care finance. In a typical day, we deal with many customer queries as we are quite front facing even though we work within finance. It is fast paced and busy with no two days being the same. It can be challenging but I like that. I have found my senior management team to be very supportive and flexible. There is always opportunities for training and development as well advancing through the company. It is very satisfying to know what my team and I do is making a difference.

Pros

Flexible working, Supportive, Good work and home life balance, Great team mentality but little micro management, Sense of pride in making a difference

Cons

Can be stressful, Crazy busy, Can feel a sense of responsibility as a representative of the council

13 April 2021
Thanks for your positive feedback. We're really pleased you've taken advantage of the progression opportunities available - thank you for all your hard work over the last 17 years!

progressive and innovative place to work!

I have worked at Somerset CC for 5 years in total, with a break of a year in between 2 jobs.I have worked in both Children's Social Care and now work in Mental Health Social Care. I left Children's Social Care to pursue a career more focused around mental health, however soon realised that I missed being a Social Worker in a statutory organisation and came back to Somerset CC and joined the Mental Health Social Care team as a Social Worker. In terms of the speciality I work within, I have learnt huge amounts of new knowledge and continue to do so! What I love about Somerset CC, is that individual progression is very much promoted and tailored to how you wish to develop yourself. I have been lucky to have the opportunities to develop into a management role since joining the council again and this has been a great learning curve for me and gives me more motivation to continue with my onward career goals!It is a demanding job but the support and positive work culture makes it a great place to work. My job is fast paced and this works well for me, it keeps the job exciting and new challenges to tackle!Work life balance is very promoted in my work culture, so it is difficult to specify the 'hardest' parts as there is someone to talk to when needed and supervision is a core part of our practice in Social Care at Somerset CC. A big thing I have learnt over the last few years is that we have the opportunity to make an impact and turn the more difficult situations into something positive and this can boost personal and team morale significantly. Putting that time and effort into -

13 April 2021
Thank you for taking time to write a detailed review of your role and working at Somerset County Council. We're delighted you're enjoying the job and working at Somerset County Council.

I have a really supportive management and work with a team of really friendly and helpful colleagues. The work is varied and ever changing which i really like and we're often trail blazing in comparison to other councils when it comes to transformation and ICT. We are able to work flexibly which is really useful for work/life balance and there are good opportunities to train, learn from others and continuously develop.

Pros

Opportunities to develop and learn, flexible working options, supportive managers, good office environment and tools to work from home

Cons

A large organisation so culture and management can vary in different teams

18 November 2020
Thank you for your positive feedback. We agree, there's been some fantastic trail blazing achievements from our ICT and digital teams recently and more on the way. Thanks for taking time to write your review.

Supportive work environment and colleagues!

I have been at SCC for over 12 years, during that time I have worked with a variety of brilliant teams, each time developing new skills and experience. SCC comprises of a huge number of varied services - every service offers different job roles alongside individual cultures, bringing different challenges and opportunities.SCC has adapted really well to fully remote working during the pandemic, with staff wellbeing being top of the agenda. Technology use has enabled teams to stay connected to each other and carry out their roles with minimum disruption to frontline services.

Pros

Great teams, good pay and pension / staff benefits

Cons

As with every large organisation, experience can vary depending on the role and service you are in!

16 October 2020
Thank you for your positive feedback. It’s fantastic you’ve been able to work with such a variety of teams and develop your skills and experience! And yes, the investment made by SCC in technology and software has really paid off, when lockdown occurred we were in a position to mobilise staff quickly into working from home, aided by brilliant support from our ICT teams. Thanks for taking time to write your review.

Making a positive impact

I love my job as I feel like I indirectly make a positive impact to my community and my manager gives me the freedom to achieve my goals and make positive changes. The flexibility is also great.

Pros

Making a positive difference, work-life balance

Cons

Pay could be improved for some roles

16 October 2020
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on working at Somerset County Council. I’m really glad you are enjoying the positive impact you can make and the flexibility we offer our employees.

Stay away

Never again with such rude managers, no guidance, limited training, culturally not diverse, gossiping under managers, backstabbing, poor induction, limited orientation to new beginners

Pros

Clean working environment

Cons

High staff turn around, fly by night managers

29 September 2020
Thank you for writing your review, we’re sorry to hear you felt that the organisation failed to provide a supportive environment. We are working hard to make sure that managers across the Council are supported and skilled in providing a working environment where teams can thrive and work in an open and constructive way. We recognise that we need to continue to work collectively to improve and develop this. It would be helpful to have some specifics from you so that we can review our internal processes. If you would like to provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk, we will take this forwards with our HR colleagues.

Jobs at Somerset County Council

in Taunton
See more jobs

Nature of the work always stressful but supportive collaborative staff.

The work was high volume, struggling to find answers with limited resources however the staff worked collaboratively to find answers and would go the extra mile to support you.

29 September 2020
Thank you for your review and feedback. We're pleased you enjoyed the supportive and collaborative culture here.

Poor

Great place to work, good benefits, progression and nice staff. Management issues, staff are anxious and stressed, while managers dont know how to communicate and support staff.

Benefits

Cons

Staff can be treated poorly. Parking is almost non existant.

29 September 2020
Thank you for writing your review, we’re pleased you enjoyed the benefits, working with your team and the progression opportunities available. We are working hard to make sure that managers across the Council are supported and skilled in providing a working environment where teams can thrive and work in an open and constructive way. We recognise that we need to continue to work collectively to improve and develop this. It would be helpful to have some specifics from you so that we can review our internal processes. If you would like to provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk, we will take this forwards with our HR colleagues.

Lovely place to work

A great place to work with lots of room to progress, I learnt a lot in my time there and enjoyed the responbility: lots of training provided and your always kept up to date with additional training.

16 December 2019
Thank you for your positive review and I am glad you made the most of the excellent training on offer.

Disorganised and wasteful organisation

Inherent hierarchical inflexible management structure, non collaborative and wasteful of public resources. if the management were running a private business it would be insolvent and bankrupt within six months.too many Chiefs and not enough Indians looking after their own interests.

16 December 2019
Thank you for your review. We're a large and complex organisation with a huge variety of services and we agree we aren’t perfect, however we have seen big improvement and change over the last year. This includes winning a national award for our Public Health Team, a national award for our HR team, and a regional award for our contact centre. Most recently we have been listed in IMPOWER’s report as one of the top 10 most improved councils, up 32 places.We have now turned the corner financially and although we’ve had difficulties and got much more to do, we’re getting colleagues across the organisation and Somerset working together, making it a really exciting time to join us.

Stay away if you develope health issues

Driven to severe anxiety by job, which was made worse by mis-informed management unable to deal with mental health or pre menopause issues. No occupational health reviews just told to return to work. Not a good place

16 December 2019
Thank you for your feedback and I’m sorry to hear you felt unsupported. We are working hard to ensure that managers across the Council are supported and skilled in providing a constructive working environment. We do recognise that we need to continue to work to develop this. It would be helpful to have some further details from you so that we can take this forward with our HR colleagues. If you would like to provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk.As an organisation in the last year we have started a number of initiatives to support women going through the menopause. This includes a Menopause Café and a women’s health support group, we’ve also set up a section on our intranet with links to information and resources. It covers workplace issues and gives guidance for both staff and managers. We also now have an HR guide for managers. In terms of support for Mental Health we have trained Mental Health First Aiders across the organisation to support colleagues and also run a number of sessions around mental health awareness but are always looking at ways to develop and improve this.

Aceitável

Sendo uma Autoridade de Poder Local, a imagem política e social da Entidade sofre de acordo com as filosofias, objectivos e métodos dos indivíduos que assumem cargos de confiança política e praticam a política que os caracteriza

Valued work with good perks, but with low pay and few chances of advancement

My work for SCC is valuable in that I am supporting some incredibly important services and developments at a trying financial time for the organisation. The work can sometimes be demanding but its value, coupled with good benefits such as flexi and annual leave, help to negate this. The organisation is also forward-thinking in terms of ways of working, with good technology, working-from-home benefits, and an understanding management culture (by and large). However, there are two big caveats with working at SCC. The financial difficulties the organisation is facing mean that pay is low and pay rises are hard to come by and relatively small when they are given. Coupled with recruitment freezes and constant restructuring, opportunities for advancement are limited and job security for many is poor.

Pros

Valuable work, perks such as flexi leave, some great managers, good working culture

Cons

Low pay, low job security, little chance for advancement

2 April 2019
Thank you for your review and feedback about working at Somerset County Council. We’re really glad you found the role rewarding and made use of our flexible working arrangements and technology. We do have financial pressures at the moment; but we do continue to recruit to key posts. We have also just agreed a pay award for 2019-20, and for our 5 lowest grades we have agreed increases of up to 5.9% (and 2% for all other grades).

Children's Social Care

Again, i have reviewed this employment in my CV. My Colleagues were great to work with. Please refer to my CV if you wish read about my work at County Hall.

A good place to work

It is a busy ever changing place to work, the willingness to be flexible is important. Staff are mainly friendly, approachable and willing to help. The management team are supportive.

Pros

Good rates of pay and benefits

Cons

Frequent changes

5 March 2019
Thank you for your review and positive feedback about working at Somerset County Council. We’re really glad you found environment friendly and supportive. We do have ongoing change to continually look at how we best serve our community.

Jobsworth

Old fashioned management who like to throw their weight around and stick rigidly to rules - ignoring the people side of managing a team. Very low salary and a feeling of under appreciation for hard work

17 December 2018
Thank you for writing your review, we’re sorry to hear you feel under appreciated. We strive to have an open, forward-thinking culture, but recognise we have to continue to work to actively improve and develop this. If you would like to send more detailed feedback and suggestions to recruitment@somerset.gov.uk we can work with our HR colleagues to take these forward.

An ok stepping stone with some perks

The job I was in I enjoyed, due to financial difficulties I have lost my job through no fault of my own. A lot of people are in the same position as me and it was not communicated well to any of us. People who have been here 30+ years are in the same boat and the council is very top heavy, protecting the higher paid staff and cutting the lower paid ones. I think it is definitely something that needs to be resolved.

Pros

good benefits, flexi time very useful, good colleagues

Cons

Not much progression, waste of money in areas

17 December 2018
Thank you for writing your review, we are glad you benefitted from the flexible working arrangements and great benefits we offer.We’re really sorry to hear you feel you were not properly communicated to. It would be really appreciated if you could provide some more detail on this so we can take forward any improvements, please feel free to email us at recruitment@somerset.gov.uk. Somerset does have big financial pressures at the moment and has some difficult decisions to make; but we do continue to recruit to key posts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Somerset County Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement