Somerset County Council logo
Somerset County Council

Somerset County Council Employee Reviews for Business Support

Professional and hard working environment.

A good place to work if you want to work part time. You have access to ongoing learning if you have the time to do it. Management varied but on the whole was good. Everyone worked very hard and wanted to show that they were good value for money. The hardest part of the job was funding. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that you were doing something worthwhile and helping professionals.

Pros

Working for a large organisation with flexibility.

Official response from Somerset County Council

19 February 2019
Thanks for your review and positive feedback. We’re really glad you found the role rewarding, we agree that a key part in working here, in any role, is knowing that you play a part in improving our communities’ lives. It’s great you made use of our flexible working arrangements and training opportunities. You’re right that we do have financial pressures at the moment, but we do continue to recruit to key posts to support the lives of the most vulnerable in our community.

Stay away

The council are in a right mess avoid this I have just worked in that department and it’s very clicky in the management side of that department they don’t treat people with disabilities in a good manner was given this job then they took it away due to my disabilities which is bang out of order only good thing is they do flexi time.

Pros

Flexi time

Cons

Management & HR not good

Official response from Somerset County Council

17 December 2018
Thank you for writing your review, if you could provide some more detail on this we would really appreciate it, you can get in touch with us at recruitment@somerset.gov.uk.

Thankless & Toxic

Backward, unprogressive work environment where many staff members are unwilling to change practices and protocols for the better. Very little recognition for good work. Most people are overworked and underpaid. Not a friendly work environment for young females as there are too many bitter middle ages women in middle management. Job security is non-existent. Most people get stuck in their jobs as they're not paid enough to risk losing their job but are paid just enough to live on.

Pros

The buildings are restricted access and there is a staff car park

Cons

Unhealthy environment and culture

Good council to work for but staff are over worked and under paid!

Unfortunately with all the government cuts SCC have struggled with recruitment and retaining staff. The staff are hard working, infact worked to the bone with no financial reward and never any over time payment. No cost of living rise in many years has left staff needing to find other jobs but the people that work for SCC are kind, caring and lovely people. Goodwill of staff will soon run out unless SCC Managers at cooperate level recognise how important their staff are and what they are worth!

Pros

Pension and flexi time.

Cons

Work life balance is non existent with front line staff

Currently going through significant changes

Somerset County Council is currently undertaking some dramatic changes to it's workforce. This has greatly impacted upon the morale of staff. Although I am thankful for my time working at SCC, some parts have been very rewarding.

Pros

n/a

Cons

No consistency or loyalty

Not as good latterly as it was

Having worked for the authority for 31 years, I can say that the working experience is largely down to the immediate manager. As a large organisation, those at the top can feel very remote from the business transacted at a day to day level. My experience working for the authority was positive until the end of my career there. There was opportunity to be involved in interesting work and the opportunity to progress. The employer was accommodating to personal circumstances. However, the public sector cuts are biting very hard in the authority and there are so many jobs being cut that morale is very low indeed. New office accommodation is in a smart office, although not all the County Council offices fit this mould yet. While this is bright and airy at present, only time will tell if the environment deteriorates with time. For some, the loss of personal work space will be felt quite hard. I believe you still can have a positive experience working for the authority but there are also areas which are less satisfactory.

Pros

Flexi-time, equalities attitudes, can be interesting and worthwhile work

Cons

Job security very much diminished, car parking mostly not provided and is expensive in the immediate area.

Rewarding Job but limited workload and opportunites

This is a new job for me within the Somerset County Council and I was moved here to support and set up the new Mental Health Social Work team in October 2016. It is a new team and still under development so the workload at present is regrettably a little limited. A usual day would be answering the incoming calls from clients and other professionals, relaying messages and signposting/supporting, typing of letters and reports, keeping data systems (Rio and AIS) up to date, support for the Social workers and team manger as required, monitoring referrals and reviews on a daily basis. My new role has given me the opportunity to work with a new client group (mental health) so I find myself learning new ways of working whilst still keeping a professional and can-do attitude. My new team manager is very supportive and open to new ideas and ways of working. We work extremely well together and produce the desired work to deadlines as necessary. We are a multi-culture organisation and are always working towards a better service for our client group. The hardest part of my job is dealing with one of our clients if they are extremely upset and anxious (which they often are). I try not to take this to heart and often just need to let them off-load, but I find it hard not to take this home with me on some occasions. It is hard to believe that someone's life can be so hard and so difficult to live. The most enjoyable part of this job is the support to the clients and social work team. Many of the social workers are not used to secretarial support at my level of expertise -

Pros

4 days per week - 30 hrs per week

Cons

No flexible working

Jobs at Somerset County Council