Somerset County Council logo

Somerset County Council Employee Reviews for Social Worker

Social Worker11 reviews
United Kingdom11 reviews

Supportive work place

I have worked for Somerset County Council for 8 years in a number of roles. No two days are the same and I enjoy the variety.The workplace culture is relaxed and supportive. I have always had good support for both peers and management. The good team ethos is one of the best parts of the job.Progression is a priority within Somerset and workers are supported to take steps to work towards new, advanced roles.

Pros

Great team ethos

Cons

Would like better retention incentives for permanent staff

13 April 2021
Thanks for your positive review of Somerset County Council! We're pleased to hear you are enjoying your time with us.

Highly recommend

A great place to work, supportive team managers who you can approach with ease across all teams. Lots of accessible training with ability to specialise in areas. Full support in progressing your career in the direction you wish. Somerset now has specialised workers based in social work teams including substance misuse, DV and mental health, no more lengthy referrals and families are offered support without delay. Great team spirit with team members working together, sharing knowledge and helping each other out when needed. Job security 5*.

Pros

Supportive team environment, good humor amongst all including management, regular supervision, job security and fabulous accessible training.

Cons

Always cake in the office - no good for waist line!

13 April 2021
Thanks for reviewing Somerset County Council. We're delighted to hear your positive experience working here, and hope you have some good cake recipes to share :)

A great place to progress yourself

I have worked for SCC for 6 years and in that time they have really invested in my personal development, as a result I started as a newly qualified worker and am now part of the management team. I have really felt part of the SCC journey.

Pros

Investment in your future

Cons

Sometimes lots of pressure but this is fine if you like to rise to a challenge

13 April 2021
Thanks for taking time to write your review. We're really pleased to hear you've been able to take advantage of the progression opportunities available. Thanks for all your hard work!

poor and very bad management

need i say more!!!! poor and bad management!!!! Experienced staff for basic tasks have to jump through managerial hoops all of the time. This leads to feeling undervalued and incompetent.

Pros

Cons

long hours bad management

20 October 2020
Thank you for writing your review. We are working hard to make sure that managers across the Council are supported and skilled in providing a working environment where teams can work in an open and constructive way. It would be helpful to have some specifics from you so that we can follow up where needed. If you would like to provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk, and we will take this forwards with our HR colleagues.

Stay away

Never again with such rude managers, no guidance, limited training, culturally not diverse, gossiping under managers, backstabbing, poor induction, limited orientation to new beginners

Pros

Clean working environment

Cons

High staff turn around, fly by night managers

29 September 2020
Thank you for writing your review, we’re sorry to hear you felt that the organisation failed to provide a supportive environment. We are working hard to make sure that managers across the Council are supported and skilled in providing a working environment where teams can thrive and work in an open and constructive way. We recognise that we need to continue to work collectively to improve and develop this. It would be helpful to have some specifics from you so that we can review our internal processes. If you would like to provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk, we will take this forwards with our HR colleagues.

Poor staff welfare

I became disabled whilst working for this company They offered little support and did not have resolutions for my needs Rather than support they actively sought to ensure my continued employment was impossible

16 December 2019
I’m sorry to hear you felt unsupported while you were working with us. It would be helpful to have some further details from you so that we can take this forward with our HR colleagues. If you would like to provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk.

No staff support

Was run by locums who had no commitment or understanding of rural settings. Worked hard for no recognition. Absolutely no staff care I was treated appalling and was made a scapegoat for management mistakes. If you are rubbish at your job expect to go far but if you are committed to caring for clients rather than playing political games you will not prosper within this organisation. If you value your sanity do not work for Somerset council.

Pros

Cons

Long hours no support poor management

17 December 2018
Thank you for writing your review, we’re sorry to hear you feel you were not valued. We are currently working hard to reduce our use of locums and strive to have an open, forward-thinking culture, but recognise we have to continue to work to actively improve and develop this.If you would be kind enough to share any suggestions and provide further feedback, you can contact us on recruitment@somerset.gov.uk.

An efficient hard working team

There have been many changes in adult social care. We have coped well with these changes and my team has 'pioneered' many of these new ways of working. Having weathered these changes I am now ready to embark on a new challenge and love the thought of working on the Isle of man.

Pros

Flexible trusting work culture

Cons

Skeleton management

Good employer

SCC provides good opportunities for workers and offer flexibly working to meet the needs of their staff. It can be difficult to have a good work/life balance as often staff in SCC are under pressure.

In very challenging times

Social Services is a challenging place to work, due to cut back and staff shortages. Progression is limited unless you wish to take a Social Work Degree. Management appears distant and communication is difficult.

Pros

Government pension scheme.

Cons

Lunch and toilet breaks are not an every day occurance.

Jobs at Somerset County Council