Somerset County Council logo
Somerset County Council

Somerset County Council Employee Reviews for Support Worker

Mixed opinions

When I first started to was great I loved my job but when the department merged it went down hill. Lack of communication was the biggest issue for the company

Pros

friendly staff

Cons

lack of communication from managnent

Official response from Somerset County Council

20 July 2020
I’m sorry to hear of your experiences. Please do speak to your line manager or someone in your HR team who can listen to your concerns and look to address them.

Lovely place to work

A great place to work with lots of room to progress, I learnt a lot in my time there and enjoyed the responbility: lots of training provided and your always kept up to date with additional training.

Official response from Somerset County Council

16 December 2019
Thank you for your positive review and I am glad you made the most of the excellent training on offer.

A very rewarding job

i have worked in the care industry for many years and all the positions i have held have been very rewarding empowering customers to grow into independant individuals and growing my own experience and knowledge. the hours are long and not much chance of a break and eating on the job.

Pros

rewarding

Cons

long hours and not being able to take a break

Brilliant untill they sold to private

Good company, Good pay and good training. But no real areas to progress or work towards Diplomas etc. Was a company with high standards untill they sold to Discovery/Dimensions.

Pros

Good training, Good pay

Cons

No real breaks

Great Company but changed due to cuts

I really enjoyed working for this company until taken over by a company. Staff cuts causing changes to terms and conditions making it un affordable to work.

somerset

they are good at making sure all training is up to date and a good salary. they were very good to staff until they sold the company to dimension and sold us out.

Caring

I have learned to support people with complex physical, communication and medical needs within a person centred approach along side a supportive team.

SCC was an amazing secure job.

SCC was an amazing company to work for but then on 1st April we were taken over by Dimensions, a private company, who are now stripping our terms and conditions and cutting our hourly rate regardless of loyalty to the service. One bonus is we get to keep our amazing pension!

Pros

Terms and conditions, pension.

Cons

Privatisation

my experience

this once was a great company to work for, until we have all been sold out to dimensions, who are now offering dedicated staff rubbish pay with no benefits. the individuals whom i support will suffer

New and varied experiences

SCC was a company worth working for once, however now we have been taken over by another provider for the LD services, that any benefits or confidence in the company has been removed. This new social enterprise is a great uncertainty, and do not seem at all interested in the support of our most vulnerable in society.

Pros

Used to be SCC

Cons

Recent take over, uncertainty

Jobs at Somerset County Council

Support Worker positions
See more jobs

enjoyable place

All the individuals were well supported and is genuinely a very enjoyable place to work with a good strong team. Hardest part of the job is the hours but is very rewarding

Pros

Job role

Cons

Confident, Calm Individual wanting to restart a career in a sector I get total job fulfillment.

A typical day at work would involve working within a positive team culture, assessing & planning the days events, allocating role responsibility for those events & to whom each staff member is to support a service user. In doing this ensuring each service user has a say in their day planning & who they would like to support them. Ongoing observations & monitoring of the day to ensure smooth running & positive outcomes for the service user. Each day should be a time to reflect on what is a positive outcome & what should/could have been done to achieve higher quality service. Continual support & advice from line management as well as the co-workers as a team are essential to accomplish consistency throughtout the unit. The hardest part of the job is ensuring that I myself work as a team player & within the team, thus trying to ensure that a smooth working relationship is achieved consistency with each & every member of staff that I work with. As a result of this I strive to create a professional, positive & calm atmosphere around me. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see positive outcomes to planned pieces of work & see a happy service user & to be able to relay positive outcomes to their family members.

Pros

Flexible hours. Instant job satisfaction.

Cons

Poor salary

Pleasant work enviroment

Dispensing of medication, phone calls to social workers, teachers medical staff, and other professional bodies. Every day personal care. Daily, weekly or monthly designated tasks. E g :fire extinguisher checks or vehicle checks. Updating of care plans, risk assessments, monthly summaries etc. During holiday time more time taking young people out on days out. The most important aspect of the job is the safe guarding and personal well being of the young people. Management of the unit in which I work is fair diplomatic and efficient. The team of which I'm a part of is varied and multi skilled. Most enjoyable part of my job is interaction with such a wide variety of people from completely different backgrounds. The red tape now associated with this role, is excessive with duplication many times over.

Pros

Different each shift.

Cons

Can be unrewarding at times.

good place to work

consists of helping adults with learning disabillties get up and help them with personal care and help the to get dressed and to take their tablets and to help them eat.

Cons

no breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Somerset County Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement