Sonder logo
Sonder

Sonder Employee Reviews

I Enjoyed It

The nature of this job is varied. You have to think with your feet as well as with your head. Numerous buildings are spread across London that you need to take care of; that is: doing maintenance, reporting, checking guests in/out, offering guidance, among others. You're technically like a fake landlord (in a good way of course), meaning that good decision-making and initiative skills are essential. You're in control, in charge and responsible. With this in mind, anything can happen. If an issue arises, you will need to organise yourself to prioritise tasks accordingly and be prepared to meet contractors if needed. Timekeeping is key for that. Management is overall very supportive in comparison to previous jobs. Especially one of the team leads. To be honest, if it was't for her, I wouldn't have probably enjoyed this job as much. Management also guide and facilitate you through your tasks and new staff practices are being placed. However. Working outdoors in all weather conditions, often carrying light/heavy stuff, can get you sick or have an accident. When this happened to me, I would ask for unpaid time off but they kept on putting excuses. Frequently, I had to debate over my wellness, sometimes for hours until they finally accepted my request. On occasions, I wouldn't even tell them just to avoid this situation. I once ended up buying an ankle support for my left foot as normal walking was a pain. Despite this, I would still very much recommend this job to anyone really; it's not hard as long as you're determined. You will learn all the aspects eventually. -

Doing work that was not in my job

They are an airbnb management company trying to get in to hotels. They are not ready for this. Took over a hotel that need a lot of help and was not ready to do so. Also they do have a lot of the site safety systems in place. When the staff on site need help with guest we have to call a call center and the call center call the guest. To much of a middle men for the guest and staff for anything.

PĂ©sima empresa

No sé preocupa por sus empleados, exigen demasiado, no dan la información de forma oportuna, usan todo a su propia conveniencia,

Pros

Ninguna

Cons

Cero estabilidad laboral

Terrible management

Terrible management. Never cared about the employees. Always pretended to listen to our needs, but it would fall onto deaf ears. Work was not bad but sometimes it would become to stressful that management makes you deal with issues they should be handling. Just overall a terrible experience.

It’s not great

It was a ok place to work until the pandemic ..I was a front line worker used until the end and then furloughed and promised a job back but that never happened management denies and never answers calls or text ... THIS PLACE IS THE WORST

Pros

Lunch paid back

Cons

Non responsive bosses

Such a toxic company

I do not recommend. Toxic racially motivated company whose only goal is to grab as much cash as possible before the IPO. My boss was a trump supported who insisted that Covid-19 wasn't real and made us "play along" with corporate social distancing guidelines to appease upper management. It was so gross. My GM only took the job and was vocal that he only kept the job for the health benefits and my Operations Manager openly favored fairer skinned employees. Employees are encouraged to provide bosses with plausible deniability so that shady things can happen in units without oversight (I'm talking poor maintenance work, mold being painted over, roach infested units, quick unproductive cleanings that don't even begin to get the grime out after each stay, you name it). I felt dirty leaving the job every day. Not to mention the insane amounts of money they expect you to shell out just to do the job correctly. I was told on many occasions that I should be "grateful" to have been hired. "Play the part of a happy employed black man because you know it could be worse for you" type of situation. I have a decades worth of hotel management experience and I know a s*%t show when I see one. I wasn't thankful. I felt like I had been duped. They routinely look for applicants with no hotel operations experience because they can then get away with over working them in the name of "Acting like an owner" despite the fact that our stock options aren't fully vested for 3 years. When confronted with standard operation procedures they rebuke them because they are here to "disrupt the system". The owners -

Pros

lunch expenses.

Cons

short sighted and a little racist.

Poor Management

Management is terrible. They all play childish games and talk about agents in slack through DMs. There are so many harassment issues regarding personal relationships throughout the office, as well as badgering between management and agents.They try to act all inclusive with ethnicities but they are all entitled to their white privilege selves. There is not one member of the colored community in a management position. A few agents of color were fired or quit because of the constant act of having to defend themselves for being singled out. Overall there are many other companies to devote your time to whom will actually make you feel inclusive to the environment, and will pay more. Perks are okay but not worth the stupidity this company brings.

Superb talent and a product you can be proud of

Been here more than 2 years and loved it so far. Very much a tech startup feel. Very fast-paced. High, high bar for talent. Fun work environment but can be a poor work/life balance for salaried folks. Has gone from pretty chaotic to more stable over the past 2 years. City markets are operations-heavy places. Could do with more traditional hospitality expertise across the company. Sonder is thriving incredibly well for the covid crisis--seems well-poised to survive.

Pros

Culture, travel perks

Cons

Pay or work/life balance for some roles

Competitiva

Empresa con gran crecimiento a futuro y con personal capacitado para realizar proyectos de ingenierĂ­a ( mantenimiento y automatizaciĂłn)

Pros

Aprendizaje continuo

Cons

Poco crecimiento dentro de empresa ( subir de puesto)

Greatest experience

I worked in Sonder for several months until COVID-19, and my experience was amazing. The work environment was really great and the management was excellent. They also encouraged me to keep learning with access to trainings that were really helpful.

Jobs at Sonder

See more jobs

Great workplace

Sonder was by far the best office experience I had. The atmosphere is relaxed, but very stimulating and team spirit is definitely there if you're an extrovert. Great training provided

Monthly Team outings

Diverse work environment with great attention to detail. Sonder focuses around their clientele with great care. All the while not letting their team members get too caught up in the day to day chaos.

Great Mission Messy Startup issues

The mission is admirable. As with many startup there is a lack of clear priorities, business processes, and success metrics. Good overall culture and some really smart people.

Amazing culture within the company.

Sonder is a wonderful place to work, with great people and tons of fun benefits in the office, such as catered lunch and yoga. They are still learning and changing rapidly, so many things they tried did not work / weren't completely figured out yet. Overall, great company.

Great!

The staff is great. They make you feel extremely involved. The business model is awesome! I loved creating experiences for the guest. I enjoyed the flexibility and awesome mentorship.

poor management

the montreal management team and ops + onboarding really sucks and are racist. It's not a bad job but the salary is so small and they always want you to make you work like a dog while they are seated and hang out with each other

Official response from Sonder

4 August 2020
We are saddened to hear about your experience with Sonder and our Montreal team and are deeply concerned to read you felt like this team was racist. Sonder puts strong emphasis on employing a diverse team in all locations. We strive to ensure that our employees are treated with respect and dignity and are provided with opportunities to feel connected and supported. We are ramping up efforts in Diversity, Equality and Inclusion company-wide, and take comments of racism very seriously. Please connect with our People Partners at peoplepartners@sonder.com to share more about your experience and help us be better stewards of inclusion.

Tech and hospitality need diversity

Sonder is not the master of their domain, they simply innovated a dying industry with mild technological advancement while neither fully being a tech or hospitality brand. Their scale has scattered the competition, but their new focus on restricting employee benefits to please investors has already undone a lot of the great work they’ve done to build an inclusive & diverse workplace. Treat the people who work for you and your customers with the most care. Investors, budgeting, automation, and middle management stifle creativity.

Sonders

This is a great place to work fun and energetic meet new faces daily cleaning condos and studio apartments are sonething brand new for me but its fun we're located downtown savannah so you get to see the main attractions and thats a plus for visitors/ travelers

Pros

Good work

Cons

Not enough hours

High velocity business that has some learning to do

High level of pressure and work hours, not enough people who understand the industry, good people culture but a lot of frustration and burnout. A lot of time feels like you are working a lot of hours without making an impact. Changes happen quickly but aren't well thought out.

Honest Review

When I first started working there back in June 2019, the job seemed way too good to be true. Unfortunately, I didn’t fully learn that until I decided to put in my two weeks in. The job culture, meaning the environment, was extremely open. Each employee has an open cubicle with an automatic standing desk (controls to adjust the height) & are sat inches away from another employee. This seems like a cool thought at first, right? Yes and no. Cool thought, but when it comes to pick-up an inbound/outbound call(s), it's SO loud and hard to concentrate. -I had shared my concerns about this with my manager, and was immediately shut-down. I was told that no one else had concerns, so just deal with it. As for management, each one of them is all over the place and continue to blame the company saying the phrase of "well we don't have that put in place or we can't do that since we're a startup company." -Yes they are a startup company; however, they are 5 years old. -It was difficult to understand why things had to be done that way & why we couldn't think of a better way to go about the job. Let's talk about schedules: -I began in June 2019, they offered/promised that we could work any hours, receive overtime everyday if we like, and take either a 30min / 1hr lunch (paid). -The above practice ^ stopped in late July 2019. I'm guessing it's due to hiring over 25-40 people in less than 3 weeks time. -Your schedule seems to be locked into place until 6 months in; at least this is what I was told several times. My schedule was as follows, Friday - Tuesday from 11AM - 7PM. -

Great for millennial who lives with parents/doesn't have rent.

Position is attractive for millennials. They sugar coat the low salary with catered lunches, dog-friendly environment, ping pong table/games, unlimited snacks and coffee. Although I am a millennial myself, I would rather have a higher salary than these office amenities. They seem like a waste of money that could be put into paying us higher wages. The position started out rigorous, with unlimited work to do everyday. I liked this. It kept me very busy and allowed me to get overtime hours, which they were very ok with allowing. However, they hired so many more agents since I started, that the work load started to dwindle to the point where I was offered to leave early numerous days to save the company money. Most days I just sit at my desk asking managers for more work/waiting around for a guest to call in. Its mind-numbing. I guess they just overshot the amount of new employees they needed to the point where there is little to no work to fill an 8 hour shift. I just hope since the company is still expanding their units globally, that they may temporarily cease their hiring in this department until they see how much more work the new units will actually be for the customer service position.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sonder. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement