Sonder

Sonder Pay & benefits reviews

Sonder is a wonderful place to work, with great people and tons of fun benefits in the office, such as catered lunch and yoga. They are still learning and changing rapidly, so many things they tried did not work / weren't completely figured out yet. Overall, great company.
I do not recommend. Toxic racially motivated company whose only goal is to grab as much cash as possible before the IPO. My boss was a trump supported who insisted that Covid-19 wasn't real and made us "play along" with corporate social distancing guidelines to appease upper management. It was so gross. My GM only took the job and was vocal that he only kept the job for the health benefits and my Operations Manager openly favored fairer skinned employees. Employees are encouraged to provide bosses with plausible deniability so that shady things can happen in units without oversight (I'm talking poor maintenance work, mold being painted over, roach infested units, quick unproductive cleanings that don't even begin to get the grime out after each stay, you name it). I felt dirty leaving the job every day. Not to mention the insane amounts of money they expect you to shell out just to do the job correctly. I was told on many occasions that I should be "grateful" to have been hired. "Play the part of a happy employed black man because you know it could be worse for you" type of situation. I have a decades worth of hotel management experience and I know a s*%t show when I see one. I wasn't thankful. I felt like I had been duped. They routinely look for applicants with no hotel operations experience because they can then get away with over working them in the name of "Acting like an owner" despite the fact that our stock options aren't fully vested for 3 years. When confronted with standard operation procedures they rebuke them because they are here to "disrupt the system". The owners - more...
Pros
lunch expenses.
Cons
short sighted and a little racist.
the montreal management team and ops + onboarding really sucks and are racist. It's not a bad job but the salary is so small and they always want you to make you work like a dog while they are seated and hang out with each other
Official response from Sonder
4 August 2020
We are saddened to hear about your experience with Sonder and our Montreal team and are deeply concerned to read you felt like this team was racist. Sonder puts strong emphasis on employing a diverse team in all locations. We strive to ensure that our employees are treated with respect and dignity and are provided with opportunities to feel connected and supported. We are ramping up efforts in Diversity, Equality and Inclusion company-wide, and take comments of racism very seriously. Please connect with our People Partners at peoplepartners@sonder.com to share more about your experience and help us be better stewards of inclusion.
Sonder is not the master of their domain, they simply innovated a dying industry with mild technological advancement while neither fully being a tech or hospitality brand. Their scale has scattered the competition, but their new focus on restricting employee benefits to please investors has already undone a lot of the great work they’ve done to build an inclusive & diverse workplace. Treat the people who work for you and your customers with the most care. Investors, budgeting, automation, and middle management stifle creativity.
When I first started working there back in June 2019, the job seemed way too good to be true. Unfortunately, I didn’t fully learn that until I decided to put in my two weeks in. The job culture, meaning the environment, was extremely open. Each employee has an open cubicle with an automatic standing desk (controls to adjust the height) & are sat inches away from another employee. This seems like a cool thought at first, right? Yes and no. Cool thought, but when it comes to pick-up an inbound/outbound call(s), it's SO loud and hard to concentrate. -I had shared my concerns about this with my manager, and was immediately shut-down. I was told that no one else had concerns, so just deal with it. As for management, each one of them is all over the place and continue to blame the company saying the phrase of "well we don't have that put in place or we can't do that since we're a startup company." -Yes they are a startup company; however, they are 5 years old. -It was difficult to understand why things had to be done that way & why we couldn't think of a better way to go about the job. Let's talk about schedules: -I began in June 2019, they offered/promised that we could work any hours, receive overtime everyday if we like, and take either a 30min / 1hr lunch (paid). -The above practice ^ stopped in late July 2019. I'm guessing it's due to hiring over 25-40 people in less than 3 weeks time. -Your schedule seems to be locked into place until 6 months in; at least this is what I was told several times. My schedule was as follows, Friday - Tuesday from 11AM - 7PM. - more...
Position is attractive for millennials. They sugar coat the low salary with catered lunches, dog-friendly environment, ping pong table/games, unlimited snacks and coffee. Although I am a millennial myself, I would rather have a higher salary than these office amenities. They seem like a waste of money that could be put into paying us higher wages. The position started out rigorous, with unlimited work to do everyday. I liked this. It kept me very busy and allowed me to get overtime hours, which they were very ok with allowing. However, they hired so many more agents since I started, that the work load started to dwindle to the point where I was offered to leave early numerous days to save the company money. Most days I just sit at my desk asking managers for more work/waiting around for a guest to call in. Its mind-numbing. I guess they just overshot the amount of new employees they needed to the point where there is little to no work to fill an 8 hour shift. I just hope since the company is still expanding their units globally, that they may temporarily cease their hiring in this department until they see how much more work the new units will actually be for the customer service position.
Never-ending to-do list; expect to work and grind in a fast-paced environment. The employees are all great beings; very positive and fun culture to be involved in. Great office space with another upgrade on the horizon. Tons of great perks/benefits. As long as it's clear what your responsibilities are and you are confident in your ability to manage them, then it's a no-brainer of a place to be. A fast-growing company where you can have a direct impact. Weekly happy hour, monthly department outings; amazing culture!
Hungry start up company with lots of cool perks. Little Management, wish washy expectations, favoritism. Relaxed culture and vibe. Big dreams. My experience was negative because I came in and there was little training. Weekly one on ones with management made me believe I was doing well, but then I was let go out of the blue for poor performance when I had been praised for my performance a few days earlier. Not sure what the purpose of one on ones are with management when you are told lies and provided little help or guidance. Other than that, the job atmosphere was cool.
Pros
Food and beverages provided, dogs allowed in office, casual dress code, generous culture allowance.
Cons
Poor training, poor management, high turnover, poor pay for what the job entails, no job security.
Sonder is a great place, with a fun work culture snacks and relaxed management. If you are on the Guest Experience team it is a bit call center ish. I would have stayed but needed more of an income and did not want to be tied to a computer all day. I miss management and my co-workers daily!
Pros
Catered lunches, company outings
Cons
Tied to your computer, no salary options