SOUTH DEVON COLLEGE

SOUTH DEVON COLLEGE Reviews

United Kingdom31 reviews

jobgreatworklotgoodcollegetimeteaching

Good place to work, pay could be better

Lovely place to work. Lovely staff and students.Unfortunately they aren't the best at paying a decent wage or even giving pay increases for training which is why I left. Started on minimum wage and finished 4 years later on minimum wage.

Pros

Laid back and friendly

Cons

Not the best pay

Lots of perks, great people, quite chaotic

Most of the people working here are great,the jobs are secure and lots of great perks like the canteen, free training, nursery on site and sports clubs. Lots of opportunity to progress, especially if you want a quick and affordable way into teaching.You will feel like your job makes a real difference to young people from a range of backgrounds too.However you will be busy and at time and it’s can be very chaotic. You will need to be strong on. boundaries to keep you work life balance.Some managers are amazing, higher up they can be a bit out of touch, as is usual.

Insights into SOUTH DEVON COLLEGE

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energising work tasks

Poor management and poor work load not motivational.

Bullied whilst working there. Turned out to be the worst job of my life. Poor work load not challenging enough. Staff form groups which are not welcoming and inclusive.

Pros

Not many hours found a better second job.

Cons

Poor management.

Unprofessional - poor communication.

I have been in the Maritme industry for over 30 years and would not recommend the Yacht Operations Department. Was invited for a interview and offered as job by the head of department - shock hands on the verbal contract and was informed that HR would be in touch. Having chased up by phone and email they finally admitted after many weeks they had filled the post internally and did not have the decency to inform me. Do not trust them they are unprofessional with very poor communication.

Pros

Nice location

Cons

Difficult to get to

Non productive and staff not looked after.

Working for South Devon College was extremely stressful and does not allow much of a work life balance. My line manager would ask for documents to be reviewed and rewritten, he would ask for major changes for safety purposes and throughout my time working there he failed to read any of the updated documents and look at new procedures that I had put in place. Therefore it was extremely hard to get older members of staff cemented in their ways to follow those new procedures because it had not had his backing. He never answered any emails, the only way to get to talk to him would be to book an appointment through his secretary. I feel that my line manager lacked industry experience and was not at all up to date with any current industry standards or requirements. I was promised the opportunity to complete a degree course to further develop my personal attributes, however I was never given this or even allocated the time to do such course. I left a very well paid job on the grounds of this being an exciting and challenging opportunity and upon arrival found that the equipment that I was expected to use for delivery of my course was not up to standard and dangerous for teaching the relevant course material. The equipment available for the students was not looked after and in extremely poor condition due to lack of maintenance, this could have been rectified if they had employed someone to keep on top of the issues. Lecturers could not find the time to do it because of their teaching commitments. They only seem interested in the money that they will receive from students. -

Good college

Welcoming, professional Clean Modern Good facilities Friendly Supportive Inclusive Wide range of courses available and friendly knowledgeable tutors

Team building fun

Working at south devon college was very rewarding and challenging at the same time. Changing peoples lives for the better by passing on my experience and expertise

productive, overall good place to study

productive, overall good place to studyproductive, overall good place to studyproductive,it isnt a place of work for me i sytudied there, just want to get off this box can i please continue and start looking for jobs now

Fast Paced

Very fast paced style of working, huge workload and at times very stressful. Good holiday and quite flexible with dropping from full time to part time

good place to work

this role is good role, working hours Monday to Friday, supportive team, good company benefits, pay is reasonable. Hardest part of the job is travelling.

Great place and rewarding place to work

Great staff, students and management, everyday brings fun and rewarding challenges but overall fantastic place to work. Teaching is very rewarding at SDC and the ability to make a difference in someones life gives great job satisaction

n/a

working at south Devon college did benefit me a lot as a person. working for a year at south Devon college taught me to become confident when speaking to customers, and taught me how to maintain a working life style. i have improved on my computer and technical skills and when speaking to customers face to face and non face to face.

Friendly Workplace

I had to work on the on-site farm during my college course and I loved it. Whether it was cold or raining, I always had fun with the animals. If given the chance, I'd properly work there.

Pros

Looking after the animals.

Cons

Didn't get a lot of time to work on the farm.

A Good place to study

A great place to study! Working in a salon environment with execellent tutors to guide you. Met really nice people and worked in a team environment ...

Pros

Cheap lunch

Great opportunities

South Devon College is a great place to work if you want to inspire others and develop professionally. Progression opportunities are good and the benefits are excellent.

Pros

Holidays, Cpd

Friendly staff and rewarding job role

Teaching and planning lessons across many stages. Facilities are great and teams supportive. Best part of the job is the students, who are lively and wiling to engage. Most difficult part is the expectations of the role, which can be unrealistic at times.

Challenging but rewarding

There is a lot of variety in this job and lots of opportunities to develop your career with free courses relating to your employment. I enjoy working with the learners and have some very good friends. I enjoyed working in the department very much.

South Devon College

A typical day includes teaching or preparing lessons. Lots of opportunities for CPD activities providing relevant to job role. Great satisfaction in developing learners to be able to succeed in the workplace.

Fun Workplace

I got to experience work with different species of animal, while learning how to properly care for them and their surroundings. Predominantly, the team were supportive and fun to work with, along with having mentors I could easily talk to.

Pros

Free Lunch, lovely weather

Cons

Strict Rules

Its great if you are part of the in crowd and are prepared to not want to alter the status quo

It is said that if you want to remove a bad teacher then you promote them. South Devon College do this very well. The people that teach are fantastic and do a great job under a ton of pressure by the people who do not know how to do it. Although the outside view of SDC is fantastic behind the scenes the support from the top down to the departmental managers need a overall. Managers will quite openly threaten tutors to complete childrens work in order to obtain funding and many teachers have been known to work into early hours and weekend in order to keep up with workload.

Cons

Lots of pressure

Great place

SDC gave me so many opportunities. The staff are excellent and really supportive. Learners make great progress and success is celebrated.

Pros

Staff

Cons

Communication

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SOUTH DEVON COLLEGE. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement