South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust logo
South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Avoid if you can

I didn't even start my job with them, I was in the induction process and the trainers were awful, they were more interested with getting their lunch from the sandwhich van. They were rude and you felt looked down on, when using your initiative you were pulled for it. If you need a job or this is your dream apply but if you have other options I would opt elsewhere. I ended up not returning to the induction due to how they made me feel. Such a shame for a place thats suppose to help.

Pros

Recruitment where lovely

Cons

Everything else

Basically a call centre

One of the worst places I have worked (I'm not in my 20s) if your face fits and you are prepared to brown nose you will do well here! Toilet breaks, leaving your desk to get a drink all comes out of your lunch allowance time, you are constantly hounded if you go a few minutes over you time allowance, your calls are audited and you have to pass or you get put on action plan, constantly hassled by the teenage managers who have no management experience, you cannot be Empathetic to callers, this is not a Healthcare environment, it is a call centre secamb do NOT value staff, they recruit 363 days a year, total waste of NHS money, would be better spent investing in and retaining staff. People constantly leave, shifts are long, morale is low and pay diabolical , Do NOT sacrafice your health for this job, I was there 1.5 yrs

Pros

Uniform

Cons

Too many to list

Very poorly managed

SECAMB is an embarrassment of an Ambulance service being trusted to provide emergency care. There is very little career opportunities for Ambulance Technicians specifically, NO welfare, very little consideration and support. The majority of management are incompetent, lack professionalism, not approachable and utterly clueless with what is required to support staff whether personally or professionally. Its makes no sense to have PARAMEDICS in offices completing admin tasks with the current demands on the service. This has been the case for many years now and has caused a big divide between road crews and OTLs. If there is administration work that needs completing then surely hire an administrator? The computer automated dispatch system needs a complete overhaul! This system along with the 111 service puts patients lives at risk and forces Ambulance crews to attend very low acuity patients, very regularly and subsequently, with current staffing levels, leaves many critically unwell patients waiting hours for a response. Many deaths could have been prevented I believe as personally myself have attended patients that have waited many hours for life-threatening complaints only to be found dead with no viable option for resuscitation. 111 and the CAD system has become a comedy meme and a general subject for road crews as a joke. It would be quite funny too if only it wasn’t people’s lives at risk.Staff are physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted and yet still are asked to work harder and be more efficient. The current sickness levels of staff off sick with stress is devastating. -

Pros

Cons

Very poor management

Mixed job

Loved my job before developing ptsd from a bad job. Great people working there but awful mental health preparation for the role and alot of death. Staff are amazing, but seeing dead people and alot of messed up stuff on a daily basis really requires alot of mental strength

Pros

Great staff

Cons

Mental health

Challenging but rewarding

Secamb were the practice placement provider for most of my clinical hours during my degree. They provided strong and supportive guidance to make sure all graduates became competent clinicians

Poor family friendly work life

Long day/night shifts, working pass your finish time. Poor support for staff who have occurred injuries while working. No support for disability staff, still has a problem with workplace cultures. Must be able to be flexible.

Terrible.

1) No work life balance - you are expected to take over time. Say goodbye to Christmas. And don't expect to fit in. 2) Be prepared for emergency situations you weren't trained to deal with. 3) Every second of your shift is monitored - you can't take a toilet break without someone wondering why you are not on the phone. 4) Abuse from the public. 5) By "career progression" they mean taking on more responsibilities with no extra pay or benefits.

Poorly organised

Poorly organised, target focused. Wellbeing services are excellent and some managers care about their staff. NHS discount and close to home start and finish locations (usually).

A great green family

Such a lovely place to work very supportive and help you to grow in your job I will be sad to leave and I’m only leaving to relocate anyone starting at secamb will not be disappointed

Pros

Frequent breaks

Cons

No cons

Awful Management, Staff always leaving

Working as a 999 call handler may seem like a good job but let me assure you it is not, The management are awful, your team leaders have no idea what they are talking about, You are not allowed to take your time when talking to the patient, you are constantly being rushed and get penalised if you spend longer than 5 minutes on the phone to a patient. This job is stressful (as expected) but you only get a 30 minute break throughout a 12 hour shift. Be prepared to come home crying, stressed and extremely unhappy. Be aware you are also penalised for being sick, the ambulance service do not care about their staff. They are extremely short staffed and you will work a stupid amount of hours, staff are always leaving as they are treated so poor.

Pros

Going home.

Cons

Long hours, Short staffed, Poor management

Jobs at South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

See more jobs

Very productive but very stressful

Looking for a change in direction of career. A very good challenging job, I feel after 18 years I would like a change in my job role. I like a challenge and I am looking forward to starting a new pathway in my career.

Pros

Very satisfying job

Cons

The 111 Call centre is a horrid place to work.

The training hours are completely ridiculous. You get treated like absolute rubbish by the so called mentors, who are mostly silly, immature little girls, who are only in that position because they cannot retain any decent, experienced, hard working people for more than a few months. It’s very clicky. Don’t expect to be spoken to if you’re not in the club and even the centre manager will walk past you without even giving you the time of day. You won’t make any friends. You go in, get hammered on the phone all day (being constantly hassled and monitored) and go home. Very lonely job. If you are a normal, respectable, grown up human being, you will not like this job.

Pros

NHS discounts

Cons

How long have you got?

underfunded

bullying culture , well documented in press terms and conditions gradually eroded. work life balance difficult. very enjoyable dealing with patients and driving around differnt parts of the county

Not what I signed up for..

Long hours, ridiculously understaffed, enormously stressful. Having worked in this role for a long time the past few years have been very sad for me. I have seen the workload and stress on staff increase massively, unfortunately I can't see things improving anytime soon..

Pros

The patients sometimes

Cons

Long shifts, one half hour break in 12 hours, massive delays, abuse of all kinds

Disappointing

I moved to the Trust from another public sector organisation expecting a pretty similar deal but I was wrong. There is no corporate/clerical staff training available and work life balance is not promoted. Decisions made by the Exec team are slow and often not clear with 'goal posts' regularly moving. I hope that this Trust improves with time, especially as it moves out of special measures, although for the time being there is lots of room to grow.

Pros

27 days annual leave

Cons

People which have been in the NHS for too long which have a lack of drive for improvement.

Every day was different

Every day offered up new challenges, the environment was always changing and therefore offered up interesting tasks and opportunities. The management changed in recent years and it became difficult to get the necessary support to get things done.

Poor Management and a lot of duplications

I found the culture to be very poor in comparison to other places where I have been previously. Staff members regularly undermined and there was always a fall guy for institutional errors. The service suffered as a result.

Generally enjoyable

Good support from managers at an EOC level, and colleagues all understanding and everyone works well together. Never know what's going to happen next, and lots of different roles to branch out to within the service. Somethings are poorly managed but overall ok.

Enjoyable and meeting people

You receive your daily work the previous evening and work through the appointments hopefully making the journeys as relaxed as possible. Occasionally the patients illnesses were a bit difficult to deal with.

Awful employer with high turnover of staff

Awful company with so many bad managers Under investigation for fraud and culture of bullying Staff are not valued and treated as numbers only Morale extremely low

Pros

Free uniform

Cons

Long hours, breaks missed, very poor HR

Eye-opening, and informative place to work

Supportive management and great camaraderie within the workplace. I learnt a lot about how the NHS service works in respect of the ambulance and NHS 111 service, and feel I have a greater understanding now because of my time spent there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6