South London And Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust

South London And Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom26 reviews

Challenging workplace

Good place to work with challenging day to day requirements. It is a very demanding place to work, but hard and fair, a lot is expected from employees.

Bullying

I think management need to be reigned in more to reflect on their behaviour towards staff. There seem to be a lot of issues that are rolled under the carpet and this can be nerve wracking for employees facing such treatment at work.

Pros

Gained experience

Cons

Bullying

Insights into South London And Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Inclusive work environment

Not enough Admin staff for amounts of work produced by clinical staff.

IT training i.e. Microsoft and digital training, not mandatory for clinical staff, leading to time consuming errors. Outdated administrative procedures necessary due to lack of IT knowledge by clinical staff.Systemic and hierarchical culture. Administration staff not listened to nor valued.

Awful

Restrictive bad practice, poor leadership, bullying culture. Very unsafe staffing levels and an overall, distinct lack of empathy and compassion towards patients.

Great

It was a great experience, and I received amazing training too which allowed me to succeed in my role as a volunteer. The role was also great, and I received support throughout.

You must be able to use common sense

I throughly enjoyed my time with Slam The work culture Also being a Mental hospital there are very in tune with the mental health of their employees, Which I found was a great help in dealing with The Stress full nature of inpatient, and Outpatients clients.

Busy work place

This was an extremely busy role, where I had to take minutes at all MDT meetings for this role I had to cover several different sites and I had to type up allot of clinical letters using audio dictation. I also had scan all documents that came in and I had book all appointments. I enjoyed the variety of the role and the dealing with patients , I found that be very rewarding. I found the hardest part of this role was dealing with conflicting tasks and meeting the deadlines .

ok

my team was great. SMT was not so much not very supportive and too much micro management. loved my team great people and very understanding and supportive

Unsupportive management

The support given to junior staff from the upper management is very poor and staff are generally underappreciated. There are numerous managers with roles that no one really knows what it is they actually do on a daily basis.

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Unsupportive and dismissive management system.

Good

I enjoyed working there and it's have a patient's centred approached in place which guide the staffs as a tool. Amazing site both the Bethlehem Royal Hospital and the maudsley

Challenging but rewarding

Dealing with service users with mental health problems. Learnt a lot about the differences with mental health. Very mismanaged. The workplace sometimes very cold and clinical. Hardest part of the job was dealing with the service users.

Pros

Challenging

Cons

Good training to build your skills

Working in mhoa could be challenging at times but also very rewarding to achieve making a difference to someone's life. Every day could bring different challenges but we all supported one another. When you have good team you can accomplish so much. I've met so many people from all walks of life and found it so interesting to find out patients life stories.

Former employee

After 20 years plus of service i resigned from my post on sickness following frequent and severe assaults. These incidents were compounded by a lack of suitable trained staff on shift and e.g. staff maintaining composure during incidents.Management support was to ask if i wanted counselling and that i should seek police involvement My GP asked if anyone had been in contact with me to enquire about my well being. I replied they had not and in fact never did.I was required to write in twice in order to obtain a response to my resignation. A termination letter was sent to me with a post it note slapped on simply saying Hi name do you want a leaving do on this date ? As to how i was meant to engage with a post it note i do not know. Despite several requests no references were provided for me. Breaks were difficult to take and were disturbed by patient demands, telephone calls, emergency bleeps and alarms. I was finally paid for working shifts after a five month wait with numerous emails and phone calls. Near to leaving i was given a passed on message that i would not in future have any input into my off duty with a new off duty not reflecting any of the requests i had asked for.This was not helpful as i took a relative to frequent hospital appointments and that of assisting in a community group As i was sick i rang an HR individual asking for an exit interview form however they were unclear as to what this was and was sure i could obtain this from the intranet.!!. Had i felt listened to, valued and looked after i would have continued in service.

Pros

i was left to wonder

Cons

please see comments.

A place with many opportunities if you are motivated

This organisation offers lots of opportunity to develop. It is an equal opportunities employer with a multi-cultural workforce. As many Trust in the UK there is nurse shortages but the organisation still strives to offer the best possible care to our client group or service users and carer's. No day is the same and there is enough to challenge and develop you as an individual. If you are intrinsically motivated and passionate about quality care, there are always great developmental opportunities within the organisation, particularly in research and quality improvement. There are things that we can improve but overall it is a good place to work in terms of personal development, equal opportunity and flexibility.

Pros

Childcare Vouchers, NHS Pension, Centrally Located, Bike Scheme, links to the Institute of Psychiatry

Cons

Shortage of nurses

Not a very good place for central administration

Can't talk for the clinical services but the central services are appalling. Senior line management is done by whitewashing mainly. There are people there that do not justify their salary and nastiness is common. The only good thing to say about the place is if you find people with the same outlook as you then they usually become friends for life due to what you have collectively been through.

Pros

Not a lot is expected of you and good salary

Cons

virtually everything else

Adult Mental Health social activities

As a volunteer, my duty is to assist the management to support social activities to patients from Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) service users in Peckham South London.The activities intended to enhance the quality of service users' lives. I participate in activities, promoting events and workshops Interaction of social activities with service users such as playing table tennis, conversing, dominoes, playing cards, theatre trips and organise wakings and serving them with refreshments, drinks and hot meals reduce their social isolation and loneliness experienced by BME. Workplace culture reflects African Caribbean social activities mentioned above and West Indies hot meal cuisines. The hardest part of the job is listening about their moving real stories and the effects of their medical condition while the most enjoyable part is when they are enjoying their home made food, listening reggae music and playing dominoes games. I really enjoy the moment and feel I have contributed to their well-being.

Pros

enhancing their quality of lie by simple social activities

Cons

Service users' Unsuitable hours

very educational

This was my first placement as a social work student, this organisation provided me with the opportunity to develop as a student and learning about integrative working and professional boundary

Pros

provided good social work learning and care

Cons

Lack means of providing leadership role to students

Do not work there

There was a culture of promoting junior staff (not those of colour) instead of senior, experienced and capable staff (of colour) - nurses! The nurses did not feel supported. Many nurses did not stay long in their jobs. If one was not the blue-eyed type, then one could forget moving up in one's career. I do not advise anyone who is a high achiever to work there. It is not what it says on the cover. No diversity in Mnagement/Directors - if there were people of colour there, the establishment found a way to get rid!! Everybody knew this.

Pros

Cons

No support from Management or HR

Innovation

Good place to work, people are friendly and welcoming. The overall direction of IT is one of innovation and the organisation are striving to utilise latest technology to improve healthcare.

Limited Spaces

Lambeth Early Onset,what a place,the receptionists are rude,the care coordinators don't know how to do their jobs and no one cares,no staff return your calls when your distressed,no treatment for client and nil help for families,if your given a doctor to see,your one of the lucky ones.When you look at their website it all sounds so good,words mean nothing,action does.A client would get more help in a third world country

I gained a lot of experience at south London and Maudsley and that experience motivated me to take up my nursing career. However, at times colleagues can be difficult to work with.

Pros

Training Opportunities

Cons

Colleuges can be challenging at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South London And Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare South London And Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust with

South London And Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust Reviews by Location

• South London And Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?