South Tyneside Council logo
South Tyneside Council

South Tyneside Council Employee Reviews

Fun place to work

It was a great environment to work in all the staff friendly all staff done there job manager was great and understanding if you had any issues learned lots of new talents and got lots of certificates on my learning the hardest part of the job was to see the clients pass away the best part of the job was seeing the clients happy and safe

Dont waste your time working here

Haven't got a clue what they are doing especially the management you try and get your days work finished while others won't attempt to finish the day's work and management keep you sitting in canteen until 515 like naughty school children

easy chilled out place

enjoyed working here whilst at university, the hours were very flexible and weekends were often available. There was also the option to work at multiple centres ran by the council.

Lunchtime supervisor

From the start of interview process through to interview I have found all staff and representatives to be professional and courteous. additional job obtained through work place

I still work for the council

I work two days a week I love me job I'm now having to adapt to working from home the team I work with are a great team me job can be challenging at times. Me job helps a lot of people with all kinds of learning disabilities from all works of life.

Fluctuating employer, strengths in several areas and progress needed in others to ensure investment in people and focus on communities

Social work is stressfull. The employer is crucial in providing a work experience to support, value, develop and retain staff. Supportive and competent senior leaders and managers are necessary to achieve this. When South Tyneside get this right working for them is great, when they don't there needs more self reflection to avoid disappointing the staff and communities.

Flexible Employer

The Council is a flexible employer. Workloads are varied and allow you to increase your knowledge. There are some opportunities to progress. The holiday allowance is good.

Most enjoyable part of the time was the very flexible working hours policy that they have in place. Can always leave the office if needed and it is often encouraged not to be sat at your desk all day.

i only done work experience

it was very good working with them but i was not fully employed but from the very little time i had at the council i would recommend people to want to work there

Great place to work with friendly colleagues. Feel as if helping the local residents. Staff are always willing to help each other out and also look take the time to help you progress

Jobs at South Tyneside Council

See more jobs

Interesting

Constant reviews of work, training all year around even on courses that had no real bearing on my role, pressure from getting told what we are doing in correctly but not enough positivity on what we were getting right.

Pros

Training courses relevant to our role

Cons

Training courses not relevant to our role.

Relaxed Enviroment And lovely staff plus Workmates

A total of 16 years from 19 was a joyfull place to work then a new Manager came along then very drab and stressfull. Had two very polite plus Experienced Managers where the job was relaxing and a good Rapport then thee Authority drafted a very strict no-nonsense bloke in where post became mireable with nervous enviroment.

N/a

Good company to work for, positive benefits. However not very helpful when an accident at work occurred and management were a little bit difficult to deal with.

No support No compassion and No idea

I loved working with a great staff team and supporting the young people I worked with but the management team expected a service to be delivered on a shoe string

Pros

Staff Team

Cons

No insight from management of day to day challenges

Great times

This was my first job and I really enjoyed it. Working at the local swimming pool and meeting many memebers of the public each day and getting to know the regulars. Some great work colleagues, most of watch I still socialise with, even though it has been many years since we worked together. Great managers too, who I still bump into here and there and get on well with them and now.

Great Training & Job Security

I only left this employment due to the jobcentre pressuring me to work 16 hours. I was only contracted 10 but would've eventually got 16. Great Training, pay slip was always correct... What more could anyone want? I'm still looking on their website for any jobs suitable for me. Would love to work for them again.

Pros

Lots

Cons

None I can think of

Great Work experience

Gaining a weeks worth of work experience as a Sports Development officer with South Tyneside council was a great way to gain more experience in a working environment at a young age. Something that will surely benefit me in my future career choices.

Terrible place to work, labourer thinks he's a manager and staff in general are lazy

Wouldn't recommend this place to anyone due to the negative impact felt day to day, no day goes past without some sort of problem being brushed under the carpet. Workshop staff trying to be supervisory when they truly don't have the qualifications or the ability.

Pros

Some good staff

Cons

Too much complacency

Very rewarding to work with young people. The team is not ready for diversity.

Discrimination is spread and well rooted in South Tyneside. It's a culture and the people at the top don't even realise how they fuel it. What's worse is that, this happens where people are supposed to be nurturing.ie working with young people. Management can conduct themselves unprofessional and close ranks to create a bullying environment. You job is not safe as you are always under threat by managers who are insecure in their positions. It's not a good place to work if you are different and ambitious to do well. The culture is to cut you down and show you who is boss.

Pros

Love working with children, Counsellors and voted members are fair.

Cons

Bullying culture, no consistency, loop holes in system that managers use to drive personal dislikes, close ranks and wont change with the diverse world, poor staff moral, managers and counsellors at odds with each other.

Fun place

Hedworthfield primary is a great place to do your work experience. I was in year 10 so didnt get paid so cant fill in any salary parts. I had a fun experience working in the nursery and the office.

Pros

Long lunch

Cons

Stressful position but you are your own boss

This position was quite stressful dealing with traffic violations and abuse from public. but the plus side is that when you were on duty you wouldn't be hassled by your boss and could manage your patrols with why you wanted to.

Pros

Free Roam

Cons

Abusive public

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Tyneside Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement