South Tyneside Council
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

South Tyneside Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom65 reviews

Inclusive

Proactive and open channels of communication , great team spirit and supportive team.Personal development is encouraged and management approachable

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Fixed contract

Very clicky

Was a contractor place was very clicky and comunication none existent as a contractor no protection your there for a specific role and time i would recomend looking for a full time job with security

Pros

Hours

Cons

To clicky allmost imposible to get a contract

Insights into South Tyneside Council

Areas for improvement
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Fun place

Great place to work , work life balance . Fully supported by peers and manager when and if required.All my requests from guidance , training ,Opportunities and advancement prospects have been accommodated .I feel management have created an open door policy and their easily accessible.

Pros

Flexibility and support

Cons

Covid

Over worked under paid Depressing place to be

Very demanding but no time to do anything. Always needing funds to do things but told they aren’t available. Your day is a 13-14 hour day but only paid for 9 because it’s a split shift. 05:30-ish until 10:00-ish then home for a couple of hours then back in for 14:00-ish until 18:00-ish. But while you are having your couple of hours in between the phone is guaranteed to ring so you need to go back. Never get away on time, always an after school event. You might get an early finish once or twice a month like 17:30 but then they have gave you the earth. I really wouldn’t recommend this role if you value any part of your life. Never had a holiday in six year and never any chance of a rise.

Pros

None I can think of right now

Cons

Split shift, early start, late finish, time is never your own, weekend call-outs night time call-outs, not paid for overtime.

Productive and interesting

Lovely clean and modern working environment. Interesting, meeting different people.each day. Friendly staff. Everyday different Management easy to get on with and helpful.

Dont waste your time working here

Haven't got a clue what they are doing especially the management you try and get your days work finished while others won't attempt to finish the day's work and management keep you sitting in canteen until 515 like naughty school children

Fun place to work

It was a great environment to work in all the staff friendly all staff done there job manager was great and understanding if you had any issues learned lots of new talents and got lots of certificates on my learning the hardest part of the job was to see the clients pass away the best part of the job was seeing the clients happy and safe

easy chilled out place

enjoyed working here whilst at university, the hours were very flexible and weekends were often available. There was also the option to work at multiple centres ran by the council.

Lunchtime supervisor

From the start of interview process through to interview I have found all staff and representatives to be professional and courteous. additional job obtained through work place

I still work for the council

I work two days a week I love me job I'm now having to adapt to working from home the team I work with are a great team me job can be challenging at times. Me job helps a lot of people with all kinds of learning disabilities from all works of life.

Fluctuating employer, strengths in several areas and progress needed in others to ensure investment in people and focus on communities

Social work is stressfull. The employer is crucial in providing a work experience to support, value, develop and retain staff. Supportive and competent senior leaders and managers are necessary to achieve this. When South Tyneside get this right working for them is great, when they don't there needs more self reflection to avoid disappointing the staff and communities.

Flexible Employer

The Council is a flexible employer. Workloads are varied and allow you to increase your knowledge. There are some opportunities to progress. The holiday allowance is good.

Most enjoyable part of the time was the very flexible working hours policy that they have in place. Can always leave the office if needed and it is often encouraged not to be sat at your desk all day.

i only done work experience

it was very good working with them but i was not fully employed but from the very little time i had at the council i would recommend people to want to work there

Great place to work with friendly colleagues. Feel as if helping the local residents. Staff are always willing to help each other out and also look take the time to help you progress

Interesting

Constant reviews of work, training all year around even on courses that had no real bearing on my role, pressure from getting told what we are doing in correctly but not enough positivity on what we were getting right.

Pros

Training courses relevant to our role

Cons

Training courses not relevant to our role.

Relaxed Enviroment And lovely staff plus Workmates

A total of 16 years from 19 was a joyfull place to work then a new Manager came along then very drab and stressfull. Had two very polite plus Experienced Managers where the job was relaxing and a good Rapport then thee Authority drafted a very strict no-nonsense bloke in where post became mireable with nervous enviroment.

N/a

Good company to work for, positive benefits. However not very helpful when an accident at work occurred and management were a little bit difficult to deal with.

No support No compassion and No idea

I loved working with a great staff team and supporting the young people I worked with but the management team expected a service to be delivered on a shoe string

Pros

Staff Team

Cons

No insight from management of day to day challenges

Great times

This was my first job and I really enjoyed it. Working at the local swimming pool and meeting many memebers of the public each day and getting to know the regulars. Some great work colleagues, most of watch I still socialise with, even though it has been many years since we worked together. Great managers too, who I still bump into here and there and get on well with them and now.

Great Training & Job Security

I only left this employment due to the jobcentre pressuring me to work 16 hours. I was only contracted 10 but would've eventually got 16. Great Training, pay slip was always correct... What more could anyone want? I'm still looking on their website for any jobs suitable for me. Would love to work for them again.

Pros

Lots

Cons

None I can think of

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Tyneside Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare South Tyneside Council with

Learn about South Tyneside Council in popular locations

• South Tyneside Council
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?