SOUTH WALES POLICE

SOUTH WALES POLICE Employee Reviews

Good working environment with no discriminatory practices and excellent collaborative working. Given latitude to pursue enquiries and flexible working.
There is a wide range of jobs you can apply for, including roles that require shift and weekend work which you get paid extra on top of your basic salary. Some roles can be worked from home too.There's also opportunities to gain experience and participate in events which come up from time to time as long as you have your line managers approval.
Pros
Job security. Work unsupervised to a certain extent.
Cons
Long hours. Unsociable hours
Stressful, extremely difficult to have any family time. Rest days constantly cancelled for court/training/extra duties. You are 1 person trying be a robot,doing the job of 5 people. You have to love the job&want to help people. You quickly realise you are just a number & can be replaced quickly. No time to investigate anything thoroughly
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no work/life balance
If you intend to join the police force be prepared to work night's, weekends and bank holidays, also be prepared not to go home on time where you have planned a family or social event because
Pros
team effort
Cons
rest days cancellation
Retired after 26 years and can say i loved the roles and job i actually did as a police officer. However, the management and Hr and legal services are mentally bullying, no care for staff or officers, SMT need to be investigated by outside forces and independent organisations (IOPCC) or crime commissioner as they are just corrupt.
Pros
Proud to have supplied a service to the public
Cons
No support, no welfare support, no mental health support, Corrupt SMT and HR departments and Complaints department
As a police officer you are providing a critical front line role in the prevention and detection of crime. Promoting law and order, reducing the fear of crime amongst communities.
Pros
Pay and career progression, for some
Cons
Long hours, no work life balance not family friendly
Good working from home opportunities, flexi etc. however not a place to work if you expect to excel up the ladder. Some of the work is interesting such as building applications that assist with policing.
A stressful environment to work in, however the support provided by other colleagues and management is really good. A unique and rewarding role.......
In today's climate it is not a career worth pursuing. Pension has become worthless and other investement needed to create a viable secured future. Wage not representitive of the amount of work your doing. You can make the equivalent wage managing in mcdonalds. Risk management not adequte with todays culture. Disciplinary system very intrusive into personal life and does not respect privacy.
I thoroughly enjoyed my week there spending time in every department, and seeing how the police work behind the scenes. My favorite part about my time there was spending time in the courts.
The job in itself was great. I felt like I was doing something good not just for myself but others. The issue was office politics and cutting corners. Everyone was expected to be a Jack of all trades, master of none. When I joined SWP in the control room, you had to wait for a vacancy..... which meant either waiting for someone to retire or get promoted........ Now they have halved the staff, maybe more and I witnessed so many people being stressed to the point of experienced and brilliant people leave. Rest days were cancelled. Booking holidays a nightmare. Any days where big events were on, you were made to work. The department became so bad, that by the time I left, I hardly new anyone as everyone who started working there only used it as a stepping stone to get into the police.
Pros
Relatively good pay
Cons
Long hours, High demand, Stressful environment
As a volunteer I find it really rewarding and would really consider a career within the Police in the future as it have provided me with necessary skills.
South Wales Police is a regional police force. The role of a Police officer being a challenging and demanding job providing an emergency response to the public,upholding law and order through the detection, prevention and investigation of crime, engaging with members of the public and keeping the public safe.
Too much emphasis on snowflake and PC issues and not enough on the real job at hand of protecting life and property and dealing with serious matters such as dwelling burglary and sexual offences.
a somewhat Rewarding and simultaneously thankless job. plenty of opportunity to develop or branch out into other departments. shift working is tough for a work/life, family balance. patience is a given must, you need to be quite resilient and open minded. Bear in mind nobody dials 999 with good news . During one day you can expect to experience every emotion and on times it can be quite upsetting. long hours and shift work would not suit anybody with a busy social schedule. working as a team is paramount . can be very rewarding . The pay does not reflect on the pressurised workload, depending on the department .
Pros
brilliant Network opportunities
Cons
shift work, weekends
I thoroughly enjoyed my time within SWP carrying out a job which I loved and thrived on. Every day was a challenge. The team work ethic is amazing and I have met some amazing people whom I will class as best friends for life. Shift work and constant challenges inspired me.
benefits
Cons
long hours and stress
I went down to the stables and kennels for a week of work experience. Over all I enjoyed spending time with the animals and attended a dog training course that was very interesting. However, the staff of the stables (civilians) sometimes got into arguments over rotas in front of myself and another student down on work experience. This made us often uncomfortable.
I personally found it unfriendly, harsh with long hours and constant criticism. Would have excelled at job if workplace culture was less critical and managers were more supportive rather than out to get new people for making mistakes after only 12 weeks training.
Pros
interesting
Cons
Poor support from collegues or managers
Excellent company to work for but they can’t give me extra hours and this is something I am looking for, although on a part time basis only Thank you
Enjoyed working with the dogs and horses and getting to learn about how they are trained and where they go on duty . It was a fun experience and I would like to do it again
Pros
Being with animals
Cons
Not getting to ride the horses
work experience, able to interact with staff, understand procedures and gain information from all personnel levels of the department and gain experience of working hours in a thriving environment. Due to confidential information and sensitive material provided I am unable to elaborate on finer details.
good