South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

The workload is far in excess of staffing levels, the shifts are regularly in excess of normal hours, need to work unsociable hours regularly, poor work home life balance, no appreciation of staff with long term experience, who may have some modern qualifications missing, and no attempt or support to re-dress this.
Most enjoyable part of the job is the patients you help, work colleagues are very supportive. I would recommend as a good employer, The job can be frustrating
If you want to be bullied and disciplined for doing what you were trained to do then join SWASFT Bad management No work/life balance High sickness due to work related stress
Patient focused, well regarded employer, shared goals, desire to be an employer of choice, cares about it's workforce and the patients they serve, would return.
I loved working here, it was fast paced, and hard going at times, especially if some of the team weren’t pulling their weight. But I made some great friends, and found that 90% of my colleagues loved their job too. The enhancements were absolutely brilliant, and I couldn’t complain about the pay, but there were some people in the management team that just didn’t care about their job, they were meant to be there too help us through tricky calls if we needed it, but more often then not they we’re on their mobile phone, outside having another break, or busy chatting about their weekend. There was some exceptions to the management team, One of the duty managers was brilliant to work for, he cared so much about the staff, and every single call that came through, if he was in on your shift you knew you were 100% supported. He should be running the whole place! One sca was also a wonderful addition to the team, nothing was ever too much, he was helpful, kind, and always had our backs. The hardest and most stressful job I’ve ever had, but there’s nothing else quite like helping someone’s in their time of need. I’d definitely recommend working here, just try not to take your worries home with you. Sometime soon easier said then done though.
Pros
Great people, very rewarding. Great pay.
Cons
Stressful. Upsetting at times. Some staff would do anything to get out of taking calls.
Watch out if u leave within 2 years as they make you pay for your training, which is essential to do the job and it’s in excess of £1000!!! Not flexible for family work life balance
I love working here. Every shift I feel as though I have made a real difference and there has been lots of opportunity to progress. There are some staff who have worked here for years who moan and bring down the moral. But they don't leave - actions speak louder than words. Sit yourself with the positive and hard working 95% of the place and it's the best job ever. Management really helped and supported me in the past aswell.
Pros
Job role, management
Cons
Some old bitter employees who wont leave!
Tough emotionally not very good management Might suit you. Think it through. 3 am struggling to stay alert. However paid unsocial hours pay Balance how you feel being sworn at plus having to hit targets and performance levels. It's a big ask. You need to be strong
Pros
Longer hours truncate working days giving more days off
Cons
Paramilitary style micro management for some
I strongly advise against anybody considering working for this company and to consider a different Trust or career. I was lucky enough get out and escape with my life! I was Bullied, harassed and victimised by senior high ranking officers and management and constantly hounded, as many others before me have and have unfortunately then taken their own lives because of this!...
Pros
Paramedic Qualification - If they are paying for it
Cons
Long hours, no breaks, Vile, and corrupt managers, no staff welfare or adequate mental health support.
Good positive atmosphere between crews Meet lovely customers/patients - wonderful life experience See some distressing things which can be hard to cope with Poor management + political hoops to jump through
Pros
Good attitude with other staff - friendly working environment
Cons
poor shift patterns - doesn't lend itself to a good work/life balance
It used to be that it is what it is. But now it's more of a mental health service and a mop up service for time-wasters. Triage personnel needs sorting out. I know that we live in a claiming compensation society but I think call takers should be asking the correct questions as to ascertain mobilisation of the limited resources that we have. example: A crew is down, another out of area, that's 2 left for the whole of the north county as the other vehicle has responded to a paper cut and classed as bleeding. The 111 service is inadequate too, same issues. And the general public need to express to these people if THEY NEED an ambulance or NOT!
Pros
leave (if we are allowed it), managerial support, rest days
Cons
Rubbish vehicles, long nights, time-wasters, drunks who have fallen over and just need a taxi, overruns, working bank holidays, not getting leave unless allocated, 111 'service', 999 call takers.
great people to work with, also have a laugh, however can be very stressful, long shifts and work a lot of weekends and unsocial hrs, the money is great with amazing enhancements and overtime benefits
Pros
money is great, great people that work here
Cons
long hrs and work a lot of weekends and unsocial
Extremely stressful job - I have never worked any where worse - Paid incorrectly month after month - mistakes not rectified without a battle. Holidays refused, hours changed constantly, no supervision so no help when job was tough other than fellow colleagues. Morale very low.
Pros
Good money if paid correctly which rarely happened
Cons
long shifts, no support, highly stressful, poor management structure
A varied job daily, you never know what is going to happen next how your day will pan out and where you are going to end up from being on standby to a long distance transfer
Having worked in the service for many years, I have found it a fun and close knit environment to work. Challenging, sometimes emotional, but mostly rewarding.
The pay here was very good and all training was provided. However there is very little job security especially in your first year. I also found that management was unprofessional. Also there was no support on the job and rules changed constantly.
Pros
good pay and all training providied
Cons
very little job security
Working under challenging conditions in a stressful shift environment Reduced family time, salary not enough Lack of resources Helpful colleagues High responsibility
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
The hours I worked were awful and there was a lack of support from senior colleagues. Was answering 30+ calls a shift which may not seem much but found the job mentally draining. Would be dealing with calls ranging from falls, cuts and grazes to suicidal callers and deaths. Felt like I was out of my depth with the latter sorts of calls as we were not specifically trained to deal with people with suicidal issues.
Cons
Hours, management, lack of support
Typical day or night (12 hour shifts) could be non-stop from the start, or more gentle allowing time for reflection/study. Own time management. Friendly colleagues.
Pros
week off built into rota every 8 weeks
Cons
Night shifts
The flexibility offered to log in and off when you have free time 24 hours a d ay is a wonderful aspect of the volunteer work. I find the role both rewarding and stimulating and I am enjoying the continous learning aspect of the role. No two days are ever the same and the support and training I have had is first class.
Pros
Great support network
Cons
no pay