South Yorkshire Police

South Yorkshire Police Employee Reviews

United Kingdom80 reviews

officerlifelongskillyearhourstaffpeople

Best time to leave

16 years service but left. Fast paced stressful not worth the pay Lose your rest days no breaks No time to work on your admin duties Equipment fails

Depressing environment

If your face fits in this organisation you could go far. If you are not interested in promotion then very often the good work done on a day to day basis is taken for granted and overlooked.Quite a mysoginistic environment to work in.

Pros

Reasonable salary, and pension, Excellent support from immediate supervisors but very little from ranks above that.

Cons

Antisocial hours. Minimal staff welfare

Insights into South Yorkshire Police

Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Support from manager

Terrible shift pattern

I’m just an extension of the computer’s mouse, long long shifts might as well be in a call centre Fast paced environment it’s all about getting through the phone calls not about the poor victims of crime

Mistrust and bad management

Overworked underpaid, treated like dirt. Very stressful changes made to workplace without considering how that affects workers. Long shifts. Never get leave.

Good career

Enjoyed my service. Would recommend to anyone. Hard work, but support when you need it. Career advancement supported well. Good people to work with.

Excellent place to work

Great place to work, not much more to say. Pay is good, people are good and the job itself is interesting due to the nature of the work. would recommend.

High stress level. Corporate management

High stress level. Corporate management Pay freezes for years Very under staffedChanges installed without staff welfare consideration Managers don’t careNo understanding of pressure on staff

Improvement

The job itself is great. The hours worked around school hours. Management need more training in how to deal with bullying in the workplace. Being belittled by another staff member and backed into a corner and being told you have no experience and don't cut things up right is horrible. Management should be giving out disaplinarys for bullying in the work place rather than someone being bullied out of there job.

Pros

Easy to learn the job role

Cons

Bullying

Good while it lasted.

Ok place to work. The change in pension makes a big difference and the culture and mind set of some hasn't changed over the years. It's not the job it once was.

Fast paced

Worked as a Police Officer for 30 years. Initially loved my job but culture changed and became very PC with management unwilling to challenge pro performance and behaviour and therefore lazy and incompetent staff were able to get away with it. Morale very low.

Pros

Every day is different

Cons

Stressful

Very fast paced &demanding

Must be capable of Dealing with stressful situations on a daily basis. Must be able to communicate with people from all walks of life. Be prepared to work over at short notice and have your days off cancelled. Be prepared to work nights weekends bank holidays- Christmas Day New Year’s Eve.

Very stressful,staff asked to do a massive workload without the tools to do it.

Overworked,underappreciated and management don't care about staff.Police management have a culture of gaining promotion and move on, usually leaving a workforce just waiting for the next person to stamp their authority(not always to a positive conclusion).

Pros

Cons

Can cut hours.

You’re just a number.

Most people in other roles will see you as less than them. Trainers are rude and make it known they can “get rid” of you if they want to. Management will constantly be on your back pushing you to do more when you’re already exceeding. Shift times will be changed constantly and at the drop of a hat so don’t make plans if you’re working. Fairly difficult to book annual leave and they’ll make you wait weeks before letting you know it’s been refused. If management decide they don’t like someone they’ll find a way to get rid of them. Very little care for mental health and the toll the job takes on you. Not a lot of support. You’ll be asked to extend your shift when you’re close to finishing your shift. You’re expected to be a robot with nothing going on in your life except your job.

Pros

Ok pay.

Cons

Pretty much everything.

unproductive and bullying culture

no fairness at work some workers are favoured more than others. Overlooked / undervalued. Don't listen to peoples concerns too many emails sent regarding DIY training

Pros

car parking

Excellent rewarding career

I'd do it again so rewarding career with excellent opportunities fantastic force and family to served with thankyouThere's never a day the same each day produces different situations to deal with in a professional mannerIn my opinion South Yorkshire Police is the best force in the UK.

Pros

Free uniform and kit etc

Cons

Long hours at times

If face fits

This job can be enjoyable however what let’s it down is the culture and the fact that Police think they are experts in every field that has nothing to do with Policing. If your “one of the lads” you will get on fine . If not can be a hard time .

Pros

Experience

Cons

Management and culture

Fine confidential

Fine confidential work that is not for circulation at this current time, I am unable to discuss aspects as still working for this employer. Job is varied and interesting

Pros

Teamwork and looking out for each other

Cons

Na

Challenging yet rewarding

The shifts are very long however the job is rewarding and the people you work alongside are friendly and hardworking. A typical day is to read the incidents I have to manage, confirm the resources I have available and liaise with the duty SGT before allocating incidents. Throughout the day, I assess the incidents on my list, update them, make contact with callers (people reporting) and continually risk assess.

Hard work, but excellent

My team are tremendous, very supportive. It is very busy, but we all get along very well. My immediate management are brilliant to work with... every day learning new things keeps the job interesting. There is friendly banter, both within the team and with other teams. I enjoy working there. Curr

Lovely place to work

Lovely place to work Duties include telephone and face to face case management, pre-employment screening, venipuncture, spirometry, audiometry, immunization and vaccination

Pros

sense of belonging

Great employer

Volunteering for South Yorkshire Police has allowed me to engage with the public and my peers. It has also helped me develop skills which i will use in later employment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Yorkshire Police. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement