Southampton City Council

Southampton City Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom82 reviews

citysupportteamtrainingfriendlystafflonggood

Good workplace

It’s a very fast paced working environment with a large workload. You were expected to learn various services in customer services however you would be well prepared for it with training.

Great Place To Work

Good training opportunities. City is vibrant lots to offer. Overall structure is decent. Location is central. Staff are friendly and hardworking. Opportunities to progress.

Pros

Pay is okay.

Cons

Parking

Insights into Southampton City Council

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

Fantastic

Southampton City Council is a large local authority with many many functions serving the people of Southampton. The small team I am proud to be a part of are phenomenal. Really good employee benefits - employee assistance program, regular work perks, flexibility, work from home schemes, dress down & early finish on a Friday. Salary is OK, it's a banding system. That could do with a review. There's room to move around the council & progression/encouragement to be your best self seems like a core value. Mental Health champions, Equality & Diversity champions.A culture of pride.

Pros

Employee benefits, flexibility, work life balance

Cons

None qualified salaries need reviewing

A great Local Authority to work with and help grow within

I've been with the LA for around 18 months, I joined as a junior manager and 12 months later stepped up to a middle manager post and I am very impressed with the support given and encouragement to grow and develop. Highly recommended.

Excellent team environment

Very supportive management and a well selected team resulted in efficient and effective working across a complex and variable environment. Flexibility and cooperation are essential in this role. Sadly the project ended.

Fantastic management, the support really is there.

Fantastic place to work for, I cannot express how amazing management is. The rewards and benefits are ten fold and you are really appreciated at the workplace.

Business support officer

I enjoyed this role particularly working with Employment support team. Perhaps not the most challenging role but it is good as a start back into work for me.

Pros

Training

Cons

Fixed term cono

Management are the only downside

The job itself is easy going and the staff you work with are all down to earth but the one thing that really stressed everyone down at the depot was how we are treated by management in the office, talk down to you like dirt and really don't care about your personal issues in your home life, if they don't like someone you can really tell with how they are treated by the jobs they put them on, agency are always down and they can't even keep them long due to how bad the agency get put down

Pros

1pm finishes most days

Cons

Maybe one of the worst jobs of my life

I wouldn't recommend anyone to go into customer services for Southampton City council it's very micromanaged, you're paid a very low salary for what you are expected to do. Management don't take any calls even on the busiest of days you just have to be quicker. You are a number not a colleague there's no positives only negatives. I never suffered from depression untill I joined this place. The team leaders are bosses around my higher management it's just an awful place to be.

Pros

Weekends and your colleagues

Flexibility

Great flexibility and work life balance working from home. Training can be difficult but depends who the person is and how much they are willing to teach. Support can be hit and miss

Worst council to work for

Great if you can put up with the bullying culture. Otherwise give this employer a very wide berth. Spent 14 years working for this council. The support they give is poor to say the least. Ok if you know the job you’re starting inside out. Otherwise don’t bother. No support or help from management.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Bullying untrustworthy management

agency worker

As a agency worker I was treated like a second class citizen, branded as one of the team but not treated the same. And when the contract was cancelled because of covid I was informed we have to look after are own. Take the money and have no loyalty.

Productive and happy staff

I worked there for 3 years and enjoy all the different places I worked.good if you have a problem the senior would help you.you can be give work van to get you around the job sites.

Pros

Left alone to work

Cons

Can be on own for your shift

I enjoyed working at Southampton City Council

I enjoyed working at Southampton City CouncilThe people I worked around (ie: my level) were great, and although we had a lot of work to do, there was always a good spirit.The one negative point I have is: communicationWe were never told that our area wasn't performing as requested as we were understaffed. If we had more communication from senior management, we could have worked extra hours etc to make our quota.

Pros

People were great to work with

Cons

Lack of communication from senior staff

Really enjoyed my time with SCC. It could be frustrating at times due to changes in politics, lack of funding etc. Apart from that you did feel part of a big team and are treated fairly and with respect.

Pros

Job security, fair treatment of staff

Cons

Sometimes frustrating

Productive and good working environment

As a temp , I was treated as any other member of staff & enjoyed the working environment. I found the manager approachable with good work ethics. I enjoyed working here the hours didn't drag.

Pros

Took transport home

Cons

No canteen

Challenging but varied work

Very varied work in accounts. Colleagues & managers helpful. Flexible working hours also possible to work from home. Working in City Centre so easy to access.

Pros

Good competitive pay

Cons

Hot desking

Many issues for this council

Lost my job over lies and managers having favouritism. When trying to sack an employee for gross misconduct I think the council should at least do better investigations before letting 1-2 head people decide someone’s job.

Pros

Work force

Cons

Managers

very good company

never had any worries there. complete a minimum of 2 domestic tests a day within the Southampton area. can be frustrating if no one answers but they did have back up work to fill your day. wish I could have stayed longer but needed to move on.

Pros

good rate of pay, good atmosphere.

Cons

can be a bit of a long day

Creative and engaging.

A good team that was able to tackle on the challenges heads on with fun and calm approaches. Every challenge had a smooth outcome with every scenario going according to plan.

Fast paced

Busy and fast-paced. Everyone was very friendly and willing to offer support. Very flexible with working hours and accomodating to people who live further away.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southampton City Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement