Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust logo
Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews for Healthcare Assistant

Work-life balance

very busy work place

is challenging, fast pace, good team work, learning oportunities, the most enjoyable part of the job is patient satisfaction, the hardest part of the job is short staff

An appealing place to work on paper. Practically? Avoid

I joined the trust with a view to helping people and have really enjoyed working with a variety of patients. I was working in a specialised unit so had to learn new skills. The on the job training was sporadic and not uniform across staff. Some nurses didnt know how certain machines worked or operated as they never used them. Very task focused and not holistic or collaborative at times. Refusing to pick up rubbish because it is not their role. What ever happened to pride? The manager of the unit was dishonest and rude despite a very stressful personal situation. She demonstrated the classic bad management technique of telling people what to do but then not doing it herself. I remember one occasion where she offered to paint peoples nails and I asked and she refused. It is against the policy of the trust to have painted nails. The unit was clicky and I was not made to feel welcome, not being invited out. There was a real disconnect between the theatre teams and outpatients teams. This was really hard to feel like we were "One Team, Working together." I had a nurse berate me and berate me until which point I stood upto her. She went to the deputy manager and tried to complain saying that i had been abusive. I had already spoke to them about her and she was removed. I was assured she would be gone but she was back a week later. She did leave me alone after that. The place is falling to bits in places, water leaking on corridors. Poor standards of cleanliness and management that just don't seem to care. Told me that i was not working within my role but i was. She was -

Pros

Some staff very nice and patient care is so rewarding

Cons

Long hours, poor pay and rude colleagues

Very good team work

I worked in Blenheim ward, it was a great time to work in that team. Manager is amazing with firm personality and understanding. It's a busy ward but you can meet excellent colleagues there.

Pros

Work life balance, good pay

Cons

Busy but manageable with team work.

Over worked, terrible management, uncaring towards staff

Overworked, understaffed, management really dont care about their staff as long as figures and targets are met they are happy. Extremely clicky (not what you know but who you know!)

Pros

Meeting lovely patients

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement