Southern Co-op

Southern Co-op Employee Reviews

Featured review
Southern Co-op selected this as a representative review
Right from my interview, I have had nothing but positive experiences with Southern Coop. I was lucky enough to be given a chance to work at Southern Coop. I really enjoy being in retail. The DMs are always more than happy to help and support me, two in particular are always there to answer any questions. The people I work with are also very supportive and happy to show me the ropes. I started working there in November 2020 and am hopefully going to be able to progress as time goes on. A typical day would be something like, dragging stock, helping out on tills and doing reductions.
Pros
Chance of progression
Cons
Would like more hours
pitiful pay for the amount of responsibility the role contains, managing a branch on your own with little to no support. Especially when a mistake is made you are treated like a criminal. Managers are all mean girls who have been promoted so have no experience being managers, they just enjoy feeling more important that their former peers and have no idea or interest in how to actually be managers. Appalling covid ‘safety’ measures. People who didn’t want to isolate we’re told they didn’t have to and people we told to ignore track and trace.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Everything else
Nice people to work with in overall, in our store company done some strange choices on interim management. Core values and goals are sound, just local implementation often struggles. In overal had a good time there, All depends on specific branch and how is run. Pay is poor and its actually a great outcome of company culture make the workplace the way it was. Since then, many mng changed and culture changes within, since our branch was small, the rating cant be really reflection on entire company.
Pros
Nice colleagues. Nice customers
Cons
Understaffed, unrealistic goals
Nothing to complain about just wasn’t for me. Very friendly co workers and a family feel to the place. Ups and downs but a nice place to work. Would have stayed if I wanted to continue by career on that path
After serving 7 years they wouldn't help me in any way and offered more hours to others after I begged for more and I left in the end as needed more work..so much for the caring co op..
Pros
10%discount
Cons
Awful unfair hours
Not much thinking involved, very straightforward easy job. Company organisation is very poor, reviews aren't done on time and you're not kept up to date with whats going on. Common sense doesn't appear to be used in upper management. If you would like to feel appreciated or make a career for yourself then go elsewhere. The problem with retail also is that the hours are unsociable and open to alot of abuse from customers. They choose not to put a security guard on the door making it easy for customers to steal stock and walk straight out the door, this also offers little protection against abusive customers.
Pros
20% staff discount on pay weekends otherwise 10%
Cons
Staff cliques. Bad management. No protection from abusive customers or theives.
I work for them for over a year from the start duty manager was a bully and rude she had her own rules pay was rubbish and not a great place to work ( only when duty manager was not there ) would not recommend
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bully duty manager
One of the best jobs I've ever had a really good team at our store. Lots of benefits also which is a bonus. Store manager is a fantastic leader . Southern coop are a good company to work for.
Always looked forward to coming into work, fun workplace and good management. Always something different every day and had a great team. Learnt a lot and made some good friends
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Short break
This company is a typical retailer, focused on earning as much profit as possible but leaving the employees in badly paid jobs and overworked with little or no appreciation.
Pros
Some customers were lovely
Cons
Poor pay, long hours, no appreciation
crackhead thieves coming in every day to wipe out the meat counter/household aisle/alcohol, threatening to stab staff with knives or needles infected with aids and god knows whatlots of abusive customers who think youre their personal assistanthead office completely clueless about everythingdespite losing 50-60k every year due to theft the company still refuses to employ security guardsfavouritism
Pros
relaxed, less workload than at other big retailers
Cons
security, favouritism, the higher ups have never worked in retail so they have no clue whats going on, forced to wear a face mask throughout your shift while you have to serve customers without one, packing every customer's bag
Training was appalling - shifted around from branch to branch for weeks with little notice. Very little continuity & there is a vast amount of information to learn. After a few weeks expected to run a branch on your own. Loads of responsibility with very little recognition or praise from mgmt. and pay does not reflect level of responsibility. Management expectations were ridiculous. There is little emotional intelligence with the managers, so even the smallest comment comes across as a massive criticism. When they think they're being supportive they are actually aggressive and hurtful. Always felt rushed and under pressure - not enough time in the day/week to give proper attention to families and deal with all the admin. This job can take a real emotional toll on you. There's a lot to process and dealing with grief on a daily basis can be really hard. Admin systems were so inefficient - 3 different computer programs at once. Surely, there must be an easier way? Working under an avalanche of policies & procedures. Other people on here have pointed out staff favouritism - there's a definite culture of this. Plus points - rewarding helping bereaved families. Some lovely work colleagues. Work pattern was good. In many ways a very interesting job.
Pros
Working with lovely families, some great colleagues.
Cons
Management expectations, lack of support, poor pay
Entered the company as a Customer Service Assistant, left as a Duty Manager. The work itself is exactly what you would expect from convenience retail. Customer service, restocking shelves, working on tills. Company provides good training on all of those, and after working at multiple stores I never had a team that was anything less than great to work with. A couple were very, very close, very supportive of each other, and never came across any issues with cliques or divided work teams. Store management is a mixed bag, but generally my experience was positive, with one exceptional store manager, one very poor, and the rest decent to good. As a standard part time job, it ticks all the boxes and if you have any experience in retail it will feel very familiar to you. The issues are also, unfortunately, familiar. The company works on a contract system rather than a rota, with staff being given fixed hours in their contract to work each week. Unfortunately the company still reserves the right to require you to work overtime and there is often resistance if you don't want it. The shifts are also quite short, averaging 5-6 hours, so many staff were finding themselves working 5/6 days a week and not getting any work/life balance to be earning barely 30 hours total a week if they were lucky. As is usual in retail, the company expects your life to revolve around the business. This is especially true for Duty Managers who, while certainly its fair to expect more commitment, are still also hired on part time contracts, yet the company expects full time availability whenever they - more...
Pros
Very friendly colleagues, generally good store management
Cons
Security issues, area management and head office disconnected from reality, poor work life balance, expecting full time commitment from part time colleagues
This is not a job for me anymore as I have moved on into another career sector and have a great work/home balance. Great part time filler job but no room to grow.
Very stressful work place as they like to cut corners and have as few staff working as possible to help reduce costs. Processes are unnecessarily lengthy. They give way too much to their local community and not enough back to their employees.Very over priced as even employees of co-op don't shop there.
Pros
10% discount, 20% on payday weekends
Cons
Long shifts for management, sometimes 6am - 11pm
Worked at Sidcup store where the manager was just lazy she could not speak to staff and offered no training at all she preffered to sit in the office and eat Too many young girls that simply don't want to work just want to stand and chat
Pros
Cons
Turning up for work
I worked in the southern co op for old sarum and the spirit of the community and the enthusiasm of the staff id always go home feeling satisfied with my day, very supportive management, great banter and over joy and grateful experience to be a part of the team you've got to have good communication, work ethic and proper people skills and you'll love every day working here. from experience of people just seeing this as a job its certainly more than this from charity events dressing up days, Christmas works do, to seeing the same customers that become a part of your life and your friends even if you got plans in life the co op is a great stepping stone and I cant wait to see all the staff again.
Pros
Paid every 4 weeks, 10% discount from all stores, 20% discount on pay weekends and bank holidays
Cons
Others only see this as a basic job and let the hard workers down
good environment - clean store, well stocked, new build, nice location, nice staff, nice bread! I would recommend anyone to apply for work there best wishes
it is a varied and demanding environment, I have worked at Southern Co-op at more than one location in different counties with a gap in between and things have not improved in fact things have got a lot worse. Personally I wouldn't want to work for them again.
Pros
there are none
Cons
long hours, expected to work late and then go in early the next day
Working as part of a small team and becoming the local convenience store. As part of a small team allowed us to have many roles within store to provide a great customer experience. My main role was morning Baker and weekend supervisor so am able to multitask between till area, deliveries, date checking, reductions etc.
Great managers, company that cares, really great foundation built whilst at the company! Autonomy and trust within my team! Would recommend them to anyone
  1. Employee reviews