Southern Co-op

Southern Co-op Employee Reviews

United Kingdom322 reviews

southerncolleaguetilldiscountprogressionstoreshopstock

Customer Service Assistant Review

Plenty of opportunity for overtime, unfortunately you will often find yourself booked in for overtime, without asking & expected to do it.No security guard, but good people to work with as a team.

Excellent company to work for

Southern Coop is honestly the best company I have ever worked for. Management understand the work/life balance and the shifts are fair. Everyone gets on well and the company is very understanding with disabilities. The only reason I left was because the cost of living went up exponentially and the petrol cost became difficult, otherwise I would have stayed there forever! Staff get discount which can be from 10% right up to 30% on pay day weekends and holiday entitlement is generous too. I honestly cannot fault them. Great place to work!

Pros

Paid breaks, work/life balance, friendly colleagues, generous staff discounts

Insights into Southern Co-op

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

I was a duty manager

Nothing but drama all the timePeople in everyone else's businessNot enough staffEverything was the night shift faultEarly morning staff didn't do all their job so left to evening

Worse place to work

Worked there for 6 months. Worse management I've ever worked with. One manager repeatedly made everyone else's life miserable. When I tried to complain about it I was laughed at. They have no staff and expect you to do 3 peoples work at once. Overtime is payed in a delayed way so any extra hours won't be payed for until next month's cheque. Always a problem with correct pay and they expect you to always be available to work no matter what

Nice staff, poor management.

Whilst the job did come wait fair pay and mostly pleseant staff members for the most part, the job different considerably compared to what was offered in the job letter, with you regualrly being expected to be avaiable through all of the co-ops opening hours, with numerous short notice requests for coverage when lacking staff.

Pros

nice staff

Cons

inconsistant hours

Pleasant environment

People were lovely to work with, however it often got very frustrating when the post office was busy and you're the only trained person in, despite being the manager and trying to get everything done (not paid any extra for being post office trained or much more for being a supervisor with tons more responsibility). Also felt it was stupid to keep the post office open until a ridiculous time of night. Other than that and all the delivery unpredictability, it was an overall pleasant experience and I gained a lot of skills in the 4 years I was there, and I felt I grew a lot as a person there :)

Pros

People, paid breaks, community feel, paid for overtime

Cons

Post office, delivery unpredictability

Great for part time work

I really enjoyed working at Southern Co-Op part time during my studies. There were plenty of tasks which I undertook and massively improved my customer service and problem solving skills during my time there. However, the day-to-day routine on shift does get a little repetitive, especially in the evenings. There was a high turnover of staff, and not much room to grow and progress if you’re a CSA. They were however, very understanding with my hours etc due to studying alongside working there.

Absolutely awful

The worst management, in store and area. Store I worked at were staff were constantly gossiping. Nothing was confidential nor professional. Managers always made you feel like you were doing something wrong, even though you did their job whilst they sat on their phone in the office. Often I wasn’t allowed a break (even though it’s my right) and I would do a full 8 hour+ day without a drink sometimes. Never ever stuck to contracts, or policies. Avoid at all costs.

Pros

Cons

Awful management

Awful company to work for.

As a store manager there is no home / work balance. No extra pay for working extra hours. Expected to cover sickness yourself to save money. No care given for managers mental well-being but expected to help colleagues with theirs. No guaranteed holidays. If you’ve booked time off and someone goes sick you’ll be called on to work to keep the store open. Being a member of a union is a must if you want to work for this company.

Pros

Cons

Poor treatment of staff. Uncaring company.

Understaffed, Underpaid and overworked!

Wouldn't recommend working here, understaffed, underpaid and top management couldn't care. Only positive is your colleagues as they help hours go quicker.

Fast paced environment.

Fast paced environment, you need to be quite fit and fast worker.Work/life balance is not that great especially if you're working full time.In general though a nice environment to work.

Great work place, Hours not so great

Amazing staff and management; a really good team. Opportunities to progress. Fairly treated and when there’s a problem your voice is heard. Closing hours are not so great, not a lot to do and some tasks, especially face up, often feels pointless.

Supportive, flexible and great benefits

Working for southern co op is like a family, we all support eachother. The workplace is very flexible when you need it and supportive when you require it. There’s chances for progression in whichever role you chose and every person is valued no matter what your role is.

Poor store management

Your face needs to fit Procedures not followed by store managerShop a mess Everything broken and takes ages to get fixed Manager will watch you on camera to try and catch you out

easy but Low hours and repetitive

The job is very easy and straight forward but unless you are a supervisor or above you are given a very small amount of hours 15 - 20 and the work is brainnumbly boring, e:g staying at till all day and face up which is going around and making sure every single item is facing the right way and you do that every singe day...

Pros

easy work

Cons

low hours and boring

personally hated it

too much to do too little staff, some lazy staff with disrespectful attitudes. the ones that were good were overlooked in favour of the clique. more trouble than a decent person should deal with

Pros

Cons

the whole experience

Easy going

It's a busy place to work. You spend some time alone but are given the training that you need and you can ask fro help. It's a generally good place to work with plenty of staff

Boring,

Typical customer service job, stocking shelves, cleaning up, warehouse can be a bit messy at times, using tills can be hard to get used to due to having to learn how to handle different paypoint stuff and doing lottery. 15 mins break for 6 hour shift with little benefits for young part time students. Annoying customers but you get used to them.

Overall poor

Not a fun place to work, shoplifters welcome - no security or back-up from most of the managers, had 1/2 hr training. Store manager only interested in one thing. Customers seem to think that Hermes drop off/pick up was are responsibility, loads of agro about that.

Pros

Customers, more discount on payday

Cons

Customers, poor leadership, poor training, non-existence security

Lots of tasks no staff

Too many cuts, deluded area managers with no consistency on how they manage stores, the first year was really nice to work here. As far as retail goes though it’s not back breaking work.

Not a bad job and there is possibility for progression

The role isn't too hard once you get to grips with it. There are schemes for progression. You have a lot of different responsibilities; making decisions, cash processes and merchandising

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Co-op. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement