Southern Co-op
Happiness score is 62 out of 100

Southern Co-op Employee Reviews

Really nice place to work

Featured review

Southern Co-op selected this as a representative review
Right from my interview, I have had nothing but positive experiences with Southern Coop. I was lucky enough to be given a chance to work at Southern Coop. I really enjoy being in retail. The DMs are always more than happy to help and support me, two in particular are always there to answer any questions. The people I work with are also very supportive and happy to show me the ropes. I started working there in November 2020 and am hopefully going to be able to progress as time goes on. A typical day would be something like, dragging stock, helping out on tills and doing reductions.

Pros

Chance of progression

Cons

Would like more hours

Outdated and depressing

Not a company I would recommend to anyone, always short staffed resulting in they expect to much out of the staff working and pay min wage,the staff are generally good but moral is always low due to the above environment! Policies/procedures are very outdated and if situations occur they are often brushed aside or not delt with property by higher management (store managers included)the jod is repetitive and mind numbingly boring often feeling unsafe as customer's are rude/aggressive towards staff,however if you can over look all this the job is easy,a 10yr old could do it...you have been warned ⚠️

Pros

10% off

Cons

Easy job

Tread carefully

The pay at Southern Co-Operative is pretty poor at all levels really, especially when you take into account the fact that other top retail chains pay so much better. There are not that many benefits with the company, just a 10% discount of which all students get anyway. It doubles on pay weekends which is as good as it gets in that’s sense really. The higher you progress within the company, it seems the more you get messed around by the people higher above with so many broken promises & lack of progress. There have been so many times where they have dealt with certain situations in particular so appallingly it actually makes me feel sick thinking about it, but that’s for another day. If you can look past all of that, however then yeah, go for it!

Pros

There are none.

Cons

Poor pay; poor management from some select managers, upwards; barely any benefits; destroys your social life.

Terrible company to work for

Southern coop is a horrendous place to work, ridiculous pay and benefits for every employee within the company, no security for staff when it comes to theft or attacks on colleagues, constantly changing processes when its not required.

Pros

Colleagues you work with

Cons

Far too many

Retail - like it or lump it

I've been a Duty Manager at Southern Co-op for 8 months now.The workforce is jokey but everyone seems to like to refer to the company negatively - this can be difficult when trying to motivate your staff.It's pretty chill really - not too many challenges (I have a quiet enough store). Just those large deliveries that can make life hard sometimes - work with your colleagues to make sure everyone's on the same page with these.You'll be asked to cover shifts at shops in your "region" all the time - up to you if you wanna or not. Time and a half or double time can be bargained for.If you're motivated and want to progress, people seem to go up the ranks. Store management is within reach for the dedicated managers.Some store managers seem pretty great, others a little... tiresome?Overall, it's retail. Like it or lump it!

Pros

Pretty chill, occasional excitement

Cons

Can get boring

Exhausting

Little pay for long hrs want blood from you for minimum wage cleaning along with other duties if paid as cleaners would be on more money per hour cleaners earn more

Pros

Cons

Long days

Welcoming, supportive, inclusive and FUN

Bishops Waltham Co-op is a great place to work and from day one, I felt welcome and included. There is a strong team culture where everyone chips in, from duty managers to the store manager, who runs a slick operation and is often found on the shop floor getting things ship shape. The role of CSA is varied with no two days ever being the same, however you will be given the necessary training on the job and everyone happily offers advice. Training is thorough and frequently refreshed and there is an opportunity to discuss progression at regular reviews. The management team are incredibly supportive and on the odd occasion where fate throws you a curve ball, they are understanding and flexible. There is no ‘knocking on the office door’ as it’s always open and the staff discount is fab! 10/10 from me!

Pros

Friendly, good training and fun

Cons

Management above a store manager, is very poor

After being a long time employee of southern co-op I can safely say that all management above a store manager only care about how much money they can make. When your well being and safety is at risk they do not provide any support and continue to put you in harms way. The best thing about working for them we're my colleagues, we all worked hard and as a team, kind, supportive and professional.

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Head office management

Your fellow colleagues are great but the store managers and upper management are lazy and uncaring for their staff

I worked at the Southern Co-op for 4 years specifically the Bosham Station road one, my first year was awful as the manager did no, work whatsoever and eventually was fired. The following year we got a slightly better mamager younger but seemed less focussed on the wellbeing of his staff and more focussed on his own personal reputation with the area managers and his higher ups. Our third manager was awful didn't know how to organize the wearhouse it was always packed to the brim so much over-ordering of stock to where the wearhouse was a death-trap the manger did nothing as again she was more focussed on herself and quick to dismiss any blame and put it onto others. As the company saw this shop had been poorly performing for years they finally decided to send us a capable manager he turned the store around and made it a great place to work, he would treat his staff fairly and with respect and would try to help them with any problems with shifts or work related things. However this joy was short lived because as soon as he turned the store around the company took him away from us and sent him to another store. We then recieved in mh 4th year another terrible manager, he was rude, he treated staff with no respect abd would be hostile to anyone who questioned him, he would then blame his mistakes on other people, and would constantly expect us to perform at an impossible standard his excuse for this would be "He's a bit of a perfectionist" he had no social skills whatsoever and contrary to his belief did not follow the company's standard of keeping good hygiene he would reek -

Pros

Store discount 10% (20% on weekends), first chance at buying good reduced products or deals, yearly bonus, share of the profit vouchers

Cons

Poor store managment, hostile management, company doesn't care about you

Lot to improve

You didn't achieved much for yourself, company benefits more than yourself... management are shocking, most time over work /highly expectation but small benefit and tight salary , mostly staff are great overall just ok for part-time, you won't developed something special for yourself...

Pros

Nice a bunch of people

Cons

Overwork, overall work ethic poorly

Lovely atmosphere to work in. Great team led by a young supportive manager with good communication, empathy and gets stuck in to get the job done with the team :-)

Pros

Great supportive team and manager. Good hours.

Priorities all wrong

Left after 7 years due to severe lack of help with depression during hard personal time. Absolutely no concern for welfare of employees and massively substandard management.

Pros

Overtime always availiable

Cons

Lack of moral responsibility throughout company

Work life balance

Not much off a work life balance as promised . Commitment . Due to up grade off programmes it may be an easier operation to the business . ............

Pros

Not much

Cons

A lot

Clique-y and unwelcoming

Poor management, clique-y staff who had me in tears on several occasions. No security available to protect staff from sometimes violent and aggressive customers, who frequent daily to steal items. Minimum wage and mind-numbing.

Pros

10% off

Always busy but no security so dealing with thieves was fun

I was a duty manager, the work was good and it was easy. Pay wasn’t great but had plenty of chances for overtime. A lot of duty managers were lazy doing the least they could making other duty managers pick up the pieces after there shift. Unfortunately the duty managers who were lazy were on larger contracted hours then me and a few others so were being paid more for doing nothing.

Pros

Paid breaks

Cons

Area manager was a bit of a dick

Bullies who have no idea how to manage as managers

pitiful pay for the amount of responsibility the role contains, managing a branch on your own with little to no support. Especially when a mistake is made you are treated like a criminal. Managers are all mean girls who have been promoted so have no experience being managers, they just enjoy feeling more important that their former peers and have no idea or interest in how to actually be managers. Appalling covid ‘safety’ measures. People who didn’t want to isolate we’re told they didn’t have to and people we told to ignore track and trace.

Pros

Good training

Cons

Everything else

Official response from Southern Co-op

4 June 2021
Apologies for the delayed response, we've only just seen your post. We were disheartened to read you've had a negative experience whilst working at Southern Co-op. We take all of the points you raised very seriously and would like an opportunity to speak to you directly. Please speak to your line manager, HR or refer to our whistleblowing policy for further guidance and contact details. Thank you, Lisa.

Hard work as too understaffed.

Nice people to work with in overall, in our store company done some strange choices on interim management. Core values and goals are sound, just local implementation often struggles. In overal had a good time there, All depends on specific branch and how is run. Pay is poor and its actually a great outcome of company culture make the workplace the way it was. Since then, many mng changed and culture changes within, since our branch was small, the rating cant be really reflection on entire company.

Pros

Nice colleagues. Nice customers

Cons

Understaffed, unrealistic goals

Nice work place

Nothing to complain about just wasn’t for me. Very friendly co workers and a family feel to the place. Ups and downs but a nice place to work. Would have stayed if I wanted to continue by career on that path

Liars

After serving 7 years they wouldn't help me in any way and offered more hours to others after I begged for more and I left in the end as needed more work..so much for the caring co op..

Pros

10%discount

Cons

Awful unfair hours

Easy simple job, but not a career.

Not much thinking involved, very straightforward easy job. Company organisation is very poor, reviews aren't done on time and you're not kept up to date with whats going on. Common sense doesn't appear to be used in upper management. If you would like to feel appreciated or make a career for yourself then go elsewhere. The problem with retail also is that the hours are unsociable and open to alot of abuse from customers. They choose not to put a security guard on the door making it easy for customers to steal stock and walk straight out the door, this also offers little protection against abusive customers.

Pros

20% staff discount on pay weekends otherwise 10%

Cons

Staff cliques. Bad management. No protection from abusive customers or theives.

Not a place to work at all duty manager bully

I work for them for over a year from the start duty manager was a bully and rude she had her own rules pay was rubbish and not a great place to work ( only when duty manager was not there ) would not recommend

Pros

Discount

Cons

Bully duty manager

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Co-op. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement

Compare Southern Co-op with

• Southern Co-op
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?