Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust

Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Supportive staff, encouraging me to train and progress in my career. Management took the time to listen if you needed to talk about anything. Tasks were explained clearer and I was given all the tools needed to complete them.
Southern Health NHS is one of the worst organisations I have ever worked for in my career, it is rotten to the core where I would not recommend working there.I have reported my concerns to all of the relevant agencies but I have little hope things will improve for the better from experience.The CQC really need to listen to staff on the frontline and review why so many people are leaving the organisation...
Pros
Some nice work colleagues in places
Cons
Clicky culture and treatment of staff is deplorable
I worked at Southern Health for over a year and it was without a doubt the worst place I have ever worked. They are meant to be a mental health trust but do not care about employees mental well-being. They bully and mistreat staff. The management is a joke and inexperienced which comes across as unprofessional. The salary is not worth the mistreatment by management. They do not care about employees hence the awful retention rate. Employee turnover is massive. Management definitely need more training.
Pros
The staff (not management) for the most part are lovely
Cons
Managers bully, no money, long hours, unorganised
This trust has a horrendous reputation and constant job vacancies for a reason. Management (asides from the Elmleigh modern matron) are incompetent and inexperienced. They do not value staff (hence the extraordinary high turnover) and professional development is practically nonexistent.
Pros
Patients
Cons
Management are the worst I’ve ever worked with
If you want to be physically bored and mentally drained this is the job for you. It was made to sound better at the interveiw and there is alot of favouritism on certain wards and management cover up bad treatment.
Pros
patients, discounts, cheap lunches
Cons
management, clicky, long shifts
Management poor hours dreadful so tiring stressful job bullying in the workforce Not a good place to work hours crippling no help from top team healthcares doing everything .
Working for SHFT is better now than it was 4 years ago when I started but not without frustrations. There is a focus on recruiting and retention of HCSW (to develop into nurses) and NQN to get people with a “pin and a pulse” but little opportunity for committed nursing staff who have been there for a few years staff to develop into roles so you end up getting “stuck”
Good place to work, friendly staff, working hours to suit individual, good perks, good rate of pay, good benefits, good mileage payments enjoyable job
Supporting individual with learning disabilities in their home supporting them to live independently and mastering their daily activity including bathing, cooking, financial commitments and attending community activity of their interests
An excellent trust that respects and values it's employees and service users. Good progression and training opportunities. A supportive culture which aims to look after the wellbeing of its employees.
The NHS really needs can-do people. If you are considering a role with them you should accept that sometimes you go home later or start earlier. There are too many people who clock watch and that is not what this wonderful service needs. If you are the type of person willing to go further then the reward should be in the satisfaction that you have improved patient outcomes. If that tickles your fancy, then there are good opportunities here.
If you like being constantly understaffed and using lots of agency who are all being paid more than you, also being assaulted on a daily basis, this is the place for you.
Not the best Trust to work for and I worked for 5 different trusts. Work can be stressful, people I work with are lovely, management do not communicate.
Some of the office workers were pleasant, some were horrible. Favouritism and bullying was rife. If they like you, you're fine, if not, forget it. We had a great cafe with cheap and tasty lunches and free parking but as an office worker, it's all about the people with whom you share an office and you have to be able to get along with the most moody and difficult woman. Note, it is usually woman who cause the problems. Sorry, it's true!! I was traumatised by what happened to me and ended up in counselling. Even the counselor said 'just leave'!
Varied days, busy and sometimes kaotic. Meeting amazing patients who made the job worth it. Wards either understaffed and over worked or too many staff not doing too much. Bored patients. Management, meetings meetings and more meetings. Culture- resistant to change, do not wish to hear when things are not going well, highlighting this results in you being not listened to or gaining a bad name for yourself. Hardest part is trying to remain motivated and positive. Good holiday pay and fairly ok pay. Training opportunities are good. Enjoyable part of job-making a patients day better.
Pros
Good holiday and training
Cons
Poor leadership, management and culture
The organisational culture has been changing for the better over the past few years with new Board and CEO. Lots of positive developments that will take time to work through and across Trust but really positive in many areas. Leadership and management is improving across Trust Typical day is varied and interesting. I feel a sense of job satifiaction most days.I work with a great team and have a supportive manager. Lots of job flexibility including working from home and hours. Biggest challenges i see in Trust are lack of staff which is an NHS issue, not just local to this Trust. Some areas harder to work in than others - its a large organisation! Recruitment is improving though. Best bit of job is satifaction that i am making a difference to peoples health and wellbeing plus work with a great Team
Pros
Flexible working, supportive and compassionate leadership
A typical day was usually varied and interesting. I worked in property and legal and my day usually included searching deeds that were over 100 years old. I was also involved in archiving deeds of buildings that were sold off, this was solely my project. My manager was absolutely fantastic and shared her study information with staff to help with our personal growth. My manager also believed in team activities and letting us grow which was the best part of the job. The hardest part of the job was helpdesk assistance as the people on the other end of the phone were often rude.
Pros
Job progression and good pension
Cons
Helpdesk assistance
Decent pay, great leave allowances of 25 days which increases over years service, full bank holiday allowance in addition to holidays. Flexible working.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
CEO is focused on new positive changes and is reassuring about those visions. However, the management let the CEO down - Dickensian and Draconian approach with no real cohesive leadership skills. You have to know your place and no opportunities allowed in order to understand the role and the organisation better. Virtually impossible to achieve what should be a 'common goal'.
Pros
Lovely team to work with.
Cons
Some fantastic training available. If you get a good manager you can feel very supported, however this is not always the case so do your homework and visit teams before any interview.
Pros
Training
Cons
Poor pay
not much support from the manager, staff left dealing with team work issues not evenly distributed work, some work more some work less....., but I guess everywhere is the same exciting at the beginning when you learn and then you get overwhelmed with the lack of support
Pros
some lovely colleagues
Cons
lack of leadership/ management