Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust
Happiness score is 35 out of 100

Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom67 reviews

Good NHS Trust overall

Lots of staff turnover and burnout can make working there difficult, but it is naturally a fast pace environment. Overall happy to be working there, financially it is secure, and overtime/additional shifts are always available.

The best place i have worked

I have worked for many different parts of the NHS but when I joined the learning disabilities service in southern health I found I had joined a lovely team of people that want to make peoples lives better, they take mental health and well being seriously and do all they can to make coming to work a pleasant experience. My team are amazing.

Pros

Wonderful people and great to get to know the clients, EV charging point on site

Cons

currently short staffed

Insights into Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Pros and cons

Pro - Better resourced than smaller trusts and more of a professional operation. Some members of staff show good leadership. Vast majority of the team pleasant.Cons - Out of touch managers. Cliquism.

Avoid if you value your mental health

Southern Health is the worst place I’ve ever worked in my career. It has such a toxic culture, services are continuously left understaffed, there are inequalities with pay for qualified staff, staff are encouraged to work every hour god sends. When you speak up to management you get ignored, when you try and improve you get told “no scope”. Management are bullies who only care about themselves, and the more senior you go the less they seem to care. Hundreds of people are leaving for a reason. Do not touch this place!

Pros

Job security, only because they can’t afford to let you go!

good place of work

Nice people but not enough pay.Secure job but can be very boringNot enough people interactiondepends what are you after very reasonable management a lot of unnecessary meetings to atend

Admin

admin are treated unfairly when you need support, no one in management wants to listen, their attitude is - ignore it and it will go away. You are the ‘it’.

Professional and disciplined, enjoyable trust to work for.

My time working within Southern Health NHS Trust was a pleasure. I found the Trust very professional and supportive. I developed and grew within the Trust. I was seconded to train as an RMN by the Trust. I would recommend Southern Health.

Pros

Flexible Working

Cons

Long Hours

Poor management, dangerously short staffed.

Stressful place to work, as constantly short staffed.Lots of managers on high salaries while frontline struggle to make ends meet.. Management only comply with policy and procedure when it suits them. Bullying by management and senior management unwilling to listen.

Pros

Anyone can get a job in a frontline role with this trust.

Cons

High turn over of staff, Un-supportive management, Very stressful environment to work in. Lots of staff off on long term sick.

Great opportunities if you're willing to work hard

Great place to work. Loads of different roles/departments which they will help you with if you're keen to work hard. Great training and development services

Pros

Free parking, promotion

Cons

Na

Stressful

NHS in all departments is a stressful job.Current role, 1 admin for 9 teams in 3 locations, a lot of driving between sites. No communication teams book interviews, inductions etc without consulting Administrator so role means you are backwards and forwards a lot of the time. Good role for someone who is younger and can cope with all the driving.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Stressful

Avoid avoid avoid

Awful management that push staff to their absolute limits, all issues are brushed under the carpet. Staff turnover is ridiculously high, no work life balance, no support. Wouldn’t recommend to work or be treated by southern health

Pros

Some hard working nice staff

Cons

Bad management, bullying, overworked, toxic, nasty

Mental Health Nurse

Southern Health NHS is one of the worst organisations I have ever worked for in my career, it is rotten to the core where I would not recommend working there.I have reported my concerns to all of the relevant agencies but I have little hope things will improve for the better from experience.The CQC really need to listen to staff on the frontline and review why so many people are leaving the organisation...

Pros

Some nice work colleagues in places

Cons

Clicky culture and treatment of staff is deplorable

Awful, unorganised mess

I worked at Southern Health for over a year and it was without a doubt the worst place I have ever worked. They are meant to be a mental health trust but do not care about employees mental well-being. They bully and mistreat staff. The management is a joke and inexperienced which comes across as unprofessional. The salary is not worth the mistreatment by management. They do not care about employees hence the awful retention rate. Employee turnover is massive. Management definitely need more training.

Pros

The staff (not management) for the most part are lovely

Cons

Managers bully, no money, long hours, unorganised

Awful!! Avoid!

This trust has a horrendous reputation and constant job vacancies for a reason. Management (asides from the Elmleigh modern matron) are incompetent and inexperienced. They do not value staff (hence the extraordinary high turnover) and professional development is practically nonexistent.

Pros

Patients

Cons

Management are the worst I’ve ever worked with

Not what you expect from NHS job

If you want to be physically bored and mentally drained this is the job for you. It was made to sound better at the interveiw and there is alot of favouritism on certain wards and management cover up bad treatment.

Pros

patients, discounts, cheap lunches

Cons

management, clicky, long shifts

Not a good place to work

Management poor hours dreadful so tiring stressful job bullying in the workforce Not a good place to work hours crippling no help from top team healthcares doing everything .

Great Learning Environment

Supportive staff, encouraging me to train and progress in my career. Management took the time to listen if you needed to talk about anything. Tasks were explained clearer and I was given all the tools needed to complete them.

Trust is moving forward

Working for SHFT is better now than it was 4 years ago when I started but not without frustrations. There is a focus on recruiting and retention of HCSW (to develop into nurses) and NQN to get people with a “pin and a pulse” but little opportunity for committed nursing staff who have been there for a few years staff to develop into roles so you end up getting “stuck”

Good place

Good place to work, friendly staff, working hours to suit individual, good perks, good rate of pay, good benefits, good mileage payments enjoyable job

Satisfactory

Supporting individual with learning disabilities in their home supporting them to live independently and mastering their daily activity including bathing, cooking, financial commitments and attending community activity of their interests

An excellent employer

An excellent trust that respects and values it's employees and service users. Good progression and training opportunities. A supportive culture which aims to look after the wellbeing of its employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement