SOUTHERN HOUSING GROUP

SOUTHERN HOUSING GROUP Employee Reviews

United Kingdom48 reviews

housingofficeteamstafflotworkingcompanygood

Challenging and rewarding

Typical work day involves personal care, domestic duties and paperwork . The hardest part of the job is dealing with challenging behaviour.The job includes on going training .

Pros

Meals included

Cons

Sleeping in

Horrible place to work

You are expected to do what the managers won’t. You have difficult calls everyday and the managers will never support you and take a call. Management is horrendous with faces that fit in the role and that’s it.

Insights into SOUTHERN HOUSING GROUP

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job

Poor management, not enough wages to be shouted at.

Managers do not accept us to escalate the call when the customer is shouting and using bad words because you are charging them for the ridiculous low amount of the council house rent they should have paid ages ago.When residents, your customers, are about to be evicted, they shout, they swear at you and you cannot escalate, you cannot ask help from managers, you are not even well trained for that. No one deserves to feel bad like this at work as southern housing group makes you feel. Bad environment, depressing job.

Great place to work, great benefits. Pay needs to improved..

Great place to work with good work home life balance, hybrid work a available, benefits are good. Management is very understanding and helpful. The pay needs to be a little better thou

Pros

Hybrid work. Flexible working hours, generous holiday, good management, beautiful office with great facility, extra benefits available like buy extra holiday.

Cons

The pay is not great.

Disorderly, middle management and supervisors haven’t a clue

Decent Trades to work with, daily diary chopped about from the minute you log on for your jobs with emergencies.No facilities to dispose of company waste,

Cons

Started in patch with RM, Ig, E4 postcodes, kept sending md to SE postcodes not agreed when I took the role

Managers are very robotic and really don't care for tenants.

After working through an agency for the SMS maintenance group it really dawned on me the managers really don't care about staff and have a very robotic way of working. The other Customer Service Coordinators are amazing and really trained me.My manager who was supposed to train me basically left me sat there twiddling my thumbs. I helped several tenants who emailed their praises through and basically said I was the only one who helped them and the management should take a leaf out of my book.

Pros

Excellent colleagues on the team except management.

Cons

Management really don't care about their staff or family life.

Good environment and supports, New skills

In 1 and half years 1(1.5) I am feeling happy to be part of this company, good treatment and respect to workers. Oportunitis to learn with training and have skills, confidence, flexibility with special ocassions

Pros

Respectful treatment and good atmosphere of work.

Cons

More oportunitis to overtime.

Love the job, hate the politics

Southern Housing is a large housing association with large bureaucracy to match. I just want to go to work, do my job, come home. However, the company has other ideas. I constantly feel I’m being assessed and programmed with what to do and think. I have my own ways of working after 30 years experience in my field but it’s hard for management to accept this. The customers say I do a fabulous job and that’s the best part. Online assessments and training days are a regular feature but unnecessary. I would love for them to just leave us be and stop agitating. I would like the right tools for the job but they “always know best”

Pros

Customers, banter, wages

Cons

Petty small minded management

Well paid but politically maddening

It’s a nice enough job but management is extremely opaque and disconnected so you can’t get any straight answers about even important things unless it suits them. The bureaucracy and work politics is of a scale to rival even that of the N. H. S and obstructs you doing your job. If you lick the right boots, join the most expensive local golf club or have a funny handshake you can progress rapidly in the company and the skys the limit. However, step out of line or upset an important bod and you’ll be got rid of slowly and subversively. My job is remote and the I. T. upgrade has been really beneficial although they are obsessed with policy and procedures which means loads of frustrated customers I would love to help but am deliberately prevented from doing so. Bosses do not live in the real world at all, sipping their champagne and acting o so politically correct. The office is nowhere near adequately manned and the recent deep cuts to service are not working at all. Saving the pennies but wasting the pounds It will lead to big problems down the line. Some residents are at their wits end because of poor service and unanswered calls.

Pros

Training and development

Cons

Lack of support from above

Friendly colleagues, good staff well-being

I felt the company value staff well-being with staff benefits, internal training sessions and yearly get together. Staff development and training could improve. Not the highest paying company.

Socially responsible non profit company

SHG does try to be a socially responsible company, however there is occasionally a disconnect between trying to be a successful company and a responsible one. New management brought in from corporate companies has changed the working atmosphere in certain areas

Productive.

My time at Southern Housing was good. I'm reasonably fond of the company and enjoyed my 19 years working there. The high productivity levels of the company gave me the opportunity to engage and be an important part of the development of my local community.

A general lack of interest pervaded the team filtering down from management

A professional and somewhat stuffy place to work. Some managers were lovely, others were not as kind..... A lovely building with a lot of nice people who were trying to improve systems and attitudes.

Pros

Nice colleagues

Cons

Lack of atmosphere and fun

Great place to work supportive staff team

supportive environment with teams on hand ready to assist. Fun environment who staff value not only teams but service users. Good place to work. Never one day the same, as my role was group wide. Afforded the opportunity to meet so many different organisations and residents living in diverse communities.

Productive and Fun work place

Team of 9 hard working professionals with different ideas and disagreements however with limited or lack of tasks related knowledge and experience and also not enough time to support team members as appropriate, had some issues with some uncooperative colleagues. My first day was very hectic until the last day and that's what I expected from a project delivery view point. Well organised office work area and some travels involved.

Productive and good place to work.

I like to work for SHG it is a company with strong social values, supporting their staff and costumers. I have been always very lucky with my line managers. The harder part it the lack of opportunities to progress and climb the step ladder for other management positions. Colleagues are approachable and great in general.

FP&A Manager

Amazing office culture with an understanding of work/life balance. Thoroughly enjoyed my time at Southern Housing. Learnt a great deal about social housing

Southern Housing Group is a vibrant and positive company doing positive things in the community. Positives: flexibility and people. Negatives: none

Positive workplace

A professional place of working. I found the organisation a great place to learn and to develop and home your construction skills and knowledge. The organisation works with very professional and developed consultants, contractors and developers.

good place to work

A great place to work, a good bunch of colleagues and management. Offers advancement and flexibility. Located centrally. Opportunity to progress within organisation there if you want it.

Pros

Flexible working, great location

Professionally challenging, and extremely rewarding.

From a cultural perspective, Southern Housing Group is extremely customer focused, particularly with regards to obtaining, and providing, value for money. Management styles - empowering staff to use their initiative, as well as studying, and advancing their careers. I've learnt the benefits from improving reports, and changing the way information is circulated. It has been enjoyable to see month end being completed far earlier than ever before, thus satisfying internal management, budget holders, and external stakeholders. This has been an excellent organisation to work within.

Pros

As above.

Cons

None.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SOUTHERN HOUSING GROUP. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare SOUTHERN HOUSING GROUP with

Learn about SOUTHERN HOUSING GROUP in popular locations

• SOUTHERN HOUSING GROUP
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?