Southwark Council

Southwark Council Employee Reviews

Employed by an agency on a six month contract which was extended to nine months due to a transitional period from contract company to in house staff. Two of the existing staff had been promoted within to department manager and supervisor. The supervisor was unsuccessful on completion of the trial period and was reduced back to Operator which left no full time position being available. A good team but a little unorganised, management unprofessional at times.
Pros
Fixed shifts so you know what you are doing
Cons
Expected to stand in at short notice or remain for double duty without enhanced pay
I enjoyed working at Southwark as a Tenant Management Initiatives officer. It was challenging and fast-paced, but my skills knowledge and experience meant that I could handle the job efficiently and effectively.
A varied environment relying on current management structures to ensure a positive or negative workspace. Poor cross service interaction and much structural infighting due to irresponsible responses by managers and HRIt has potential to be highly effective but nepotism and infighting and lack of structural oversight are dragging it back.
Pros
Reasonable consistent pay and conditions
Cons
Lack of knowledge and foresight and too many self interested parties.
Southwark Council is an organisation of class. It strives to upkeep it reputation by recruiting the best staff and has excellent customer service. It goes the extra mile to see that staffs and tenants are satisfied.
I was not allowed to attend an interview as the Director insisted on having a Diploma in Health & Safety, even though I had been doing the job as Health & Safety Manager for 18 months under contract and reduced the incident rate by 82% andchanged the culture withthe staffs attitude to Health & Safety with full Satisfaction to the overall Building Services Manager
Pros
Very enjoyable work
Cons
Non understanding by senior Directors on what was taki g place
Brilliant place to work, lots of options and opportunities that allow you to progress further and plenty of overtime to be earned, pension scheme is amazing, the managers are all caring and try to get the best out of you
Pros
Over time, advancing to do more, lots of opportunities.
Cons
It is a good experience working at Southwark, all the way through you get training and they develop you to your full potential. I have 15 years working experience working in the housing field.
Pros
near train station
Cons
hot desking
The Southwark council have rules for management and different rules for normal service workers If management hits a employee they keep there job and they don’t get disciplined and get away with what they have done to another person so wrong Southwark council has lot of corruption there job 😡
Like most public service jobs, the work/life balance isn’t great. You are encouraged to do a lot of over time and they’re always understaffed. However, the management structure is great and there is a lot of support.
People with disabilities are well looked after at Southwark, and the staff are very patient when it comes to training individuals in certain tasks, so that these soon became second nature within a week, and new staff are ultimately made to feel like one of the team.
i really enjoyed my work experience everyone was lovely to me and welcoming they let me visit tenants house to check out there damp and mold situations and also a broken window in a newly built flat. i found that very fun.
Very stressful place to work wouldn't recommend if your face dont fit you dont fit the pay is to low you have to work 7 days a week just for stuip money wouldn't recommend
Very stressful - need to hit your target 100% Gained excellent knowledge/skills Great team work Excellent leadership Flexible working Patchless working Enjoyed flexibility and up to date technology under excellent management
Good place to work for longevity and flexible hours Typical 9-5 office environment. I was able to progress quickly due to having a great team. I would recommend working for Southwark if you are looking for a long term career.
Pros
longevity and comfortability
Cons
repetitiveness, system is always slow, no company benefits
Very good experience when I worked in this company, I had the possibility to go up and change jobs, very good leadership, understandable, with training actions, good relationship between colleagues too, without ever complicating the holiday schedule.
Poor leadership, communication and assistance from overworked manager. Head of department only talks to other managers and tends to walk past people tutting. Inadequate software for the role. Other staff in departments were mainly friendly and good to work with.
I was suffering from depression when they unfairly sacked me because they didn't believe me that I was being bullied by my boss. I would love my job back.
I was a carer for my Autistic daughter, the support from southwark council was excellent. Information and assistance isn't always easy to find, but once found, it is worth while and of great benefit.
Through my work experience at Southwark council i was able to build on my analytical skills and my interpersonal skills. I also was able to get a real insight into a life of a solicitor as i attended client meetings and spoke to clients.
Pros
Travel is paid for
Cons
Very supportive and good for gaining experience. They offer very fulfilling and well-paying full time roles as opposed to my work experience placement there.
I think the housing Solution Homeless department provided an essential service for it's customers. However it does comes across some challenges, which are well managed by the staff members.
Pros
Fullfilling Job
Cons
Can be stressful at times
  1. Employee reviews