Spa Medica

Spa Medica Employee Reviews

There is one weeks sick pay and no benefits you would expect with a private healthcare firm. All medical appointments are unpaid leave and self isolation had to be done on annual leave. Poor communication through every level of the company who are expanding and increasing lists of patients to nearly 30 a day in theatre. Very quick deskilling for RN or ODP no one stays for very long!
Pros
No nights or lates
Cons
No long term prospects
It looks great on the outside but the longer you're in there and the more you see then the toxic truth is revealed. Management is absolutely shocking, I've never experienced anything like it - incompetent, will take credit for others work and really has no clue about how to do our job but as long as they can keep the directors happy with figures and graphs then nothing is ever questioned. Unfortunately for us we are human and not robots who can work to the bone without breaks. The moral within the team is low and the atmosphere was generally depressing but nobody says anything because everyone knows nothing will be done, as managers are pally with HR and you're just seen as a problem. Some managers have this strange complex of being "the best" in the directors eyes and have a one-sided "battle" with other managers - we're all supposed to be on the same team (considering we work for the same company!) and work together but that really isn't the case. It becomes a little like the school playground but again, nothing is done by HR. Just because you can make a graph doesn't mean you're better than any other manager, especially when your team is in tatters. Pay is low across the whole company, I don't know why they include "competitive salary" in their job posts because there's nothing competitive about it. You're made to feel like it's ridiculous to be asking for a (more than fair) raise, basically be happy you have a job. Don't get too excited about the possibility of a raise or bonus after your appraisal either, you'll be shot down at every turn. I actually really - more...
Cons
Poor management, Low pay, No staff parking
I was employed as a Patient Driver. The miles to collect and deliver patients to the various Spa Medica hospitals is excessive, sometimes in excess of 200 miles in a day. Drivers are expected to undertake portering duties in the period they are waiting for patients after dropping them off. Because I found the miles too much, I took some breaks, to relieve the miles driven, and found that they are unpaid, i.e. deducted from time in lieu, which is not good. You say in your advert for a new driver in Kendal that full training will be given. That is a laugh, there was minimum training in the mini bus and one day induction at Bolton. All other training was done online and no practical First-Aid course available, I think that is very negligent, as drivers are dealing with aged, sometimes infirm people. It took 2 months for me to acquire a step for patients to climb up onto the mini bus, one should automatically come with the mini bus initially. The rate of pay is twenty odd pence over minimum wage which is diabolical for a job which requires a very good standard of driving, which is very important as patients need to feel safe, and drivers need to be able to negotiate extreme weather conditions. I myself was complemented on my driving skills by patients on many occasions, as I am a MIDAS trained driver. There should be a patient feedback form that patients can complete rating the ability of the driver. Not enough emphasis is put on the importance of your driving ability by the Transport Manager. If you are looking for job satisfaction as a patient driver, then its a driver's - more...
Pros
Helping patients
Cons
Very stressful job
Great company, management and peers are very supportive and will always make time for you. Great benefits in place and additional perks too. They’re trying really hard to improve the employee experience and this goes a long way to making you feel valued. Very fast paced environment which can be a challenge at times but also very rewarding.
Pros
Benefits, support, opportunity to progress
I consider this to be the least stressful job I've ever had within nursing, yet I do not feel at all 'deskilled'. I can honestly say I love my job. I work with an amazingly supportive and friendly team. My role as a RGN/scrub nurse is both varied and interesting. The hours for a nursing job are fantastic! No bank Holidays, no nights, no shifts and only have to work one Saturday a month. There is some travel to other sites but this is fairly infrequent, and you are compensated for this. Its an absolute pleasure to go into work, and it was definitely a great move coming here. The sick pay and pension are rubbish compared to the NHS, however I feel this is far outweighed by the great working hours and almost zero stress. My only slight gripe is that there isn't really much development opportunities for RGNs, but hopefully this may change as the company grows further.
Pros
Great hours, low stress, great team
Cons
Not much development opportunity nurses
Initially a great place to work, but imagine working for NHS and other leading competitive Private hospitals (circle BMI, Spire, Ramsay Health) and you meet this Ophthalmic company. Everything is high tech, beautifully displayed.The company is like an amalgamation of beauty and acid, aesthetically pleasing but dead inside the company. The poor CEO works so hard and tirelessly yet the staff below him are melting away a company indefinitely.Management is the core problem, nonclinical appointment of manager is like a cancer in the site. Sadly they are so interested in staff's personal life that they loose focus. There is no gratitude for what you do, no respect , constant abuse from an organisational point of view. They will do anything to tarnish your reputation. They will not support you or direct you correctly, it's a blame game.A company with so much credibility destroyed by anyone below the CEO
Pros
Salary and equipment
Cons
everything but salary and equipment
Bullying culture in place at Wakefield that seems to have been in place for a long time and not addressed. Standing up for yourself whilst in your probationary period is not an option at Spa Medica.
great place to work for with a great diverse team. people in other departments are really helpful. not a hard job to learn and can become a very fast paced job
Pros
summer parties and christmas parties
Cons
Poor management, low wage, dead end job. Staff turn over is high. They don’t pay you enough for what they expect you to do. Would not recommend at all
Pros New hospitals which are clean, modern and welcoming. Great staff whom are friendly, respectful and generally work well together Patient care is excellent Cons Pay needs a re structure asap to compete well in line with other independent sector providers The lack of additional company benefits inc subsidised healthcare or even free parking is extremely disappointing Many sites inc HQ do not have any free staff parking available onsite. No true development within current role or any progression available Advice to Management Communication with all staff is required to ensure everyone is aware of direction of company and actually what is going on Appreciate all staff and what they bring to the company Promote and employ staff based on skillsets and knowledge, and not who you know!
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Spa Medica?
Widnes spamedica clinic is a low paid job for what they expect from you, job role it’s self becomes very repetitive and be prepared to travel to Manchester/Bolton on a regular basis, there is no chance of growing in the company, I would consider this as a temporary job. The management here is poor and has ‘favourites’ and discriminates individuals, if you was planning on applying for this job I would suggest applying for either skem or Manchester as the managements seems much nicer on the bright side some of the staff are lovely, just a terrible shame certain manager brings company down... over all I had a awful experience here and would not recommend to anyone.
Whilst working as spamedica weekend work increased massively. There was clear bullying at the workplace resulting in two people leaving because of it. The managers were made aware of bullying but still no action taken. The manager had clear favourites. The pay scales are ridiculous some people are paid just as much as admin staff to take patients in and out of lifts. It’s hard to want to stay in any role that is minimum wage but expect maximum effort.
I like that job but it was not busy so i leave the job. I like working as a clener i am hard worker and good person. I have the skils for this job and i not have problem working with teams.
Pros
Anytime break
Cons
Not long house
SpaMedica care for their staff. The role I am in doesn't give much room to move up but there are roles that give you that opportunity. Some management are helpful and lovely to work with, however there are others that don't give you the time of day. I have learned a lot over the 18 months I have been with SpaMedica and in that time I have watched the business expand. I cannot give enough credit to the CEO and the higher members of staff, they do care for their employees and it is lovely to come to work everyday! It is by far the best company I have worked for with a lot of benefits and job opportunities internally.The hardest part about the job I would say would be the frequently changing systems but this is all to improve the way we work! I would recommend SpaMedica to any of my friends and family. The most enjoyable part of the job would definitely seeing how many people's lives we change.
Pros
Great Company with brilliant benefits
Cons
Some management are rude.