Specsavers

Specsavers Employee Reviews

A good place to work but sadly most staff under qualified and training was abysmal to say the least, i was there a year before going on first course despite dispensing varifocals within a few days of starting, luckily coming from a photographic background optics made sense to me.Too many staff unfortunately were more interested in holding others back rather than trying to progress themselves and there was no respect for the management.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Shifts
Absolutely love my job and the relationship you can build with patients and colleagues. However directors have created quite a toxic atmosphere re salaries and what some colleagues are expected to do versus other colleagues, meaning some are expected to work all departments constantly while some can stand and chat. Pay certainly doesn’t reflect this. There are no opportunities to advance whatsoever. There are often errors in pay meaning you are waiting until your next pay at least until this is corrected. This particular franchise isn’t an equal opportunities employer, I do need to stress that other Specsavers franchises may be different though. The staff turnover is at a level that I’ve never seen in all my career yet this doesn’t ring any alarm bells with directors or management.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
This franchise
Great company you definitely learn stuff everyday, but they employ school leavers and show them how to fill in the computer system with very little information on why this is done or what the terminology means or why its important for this to be done correctly.
Pros
Very social outside of work
Cons
Long days
The company is all about sales. They literally do not care about eye health in anyway shape or form. Also they're disrespectful to their own colleagues most of them have really bad attitudes and on top the management are even worse
Pros
Cons
Everything about this business is a con
Lots of promises made for a role that didn’t fit the job description. Internal changes are never discussed with employees, just enforced. Training is poor, and support internally isn’t there unfortunately.
Very busy environment, very productive and full on. Good job security and always equal opportunities for anyone willing to progress in their career. But need to be prepared for hard work
Pros
Equal opportunities
Cons
Charlton store - no structure or directors have any skills no staff room- or best clinical practice.If you have managerial skill they want you to utilise it in their store but don't want to pay adequate salaries for it
Pros
Opens at 10
They advertise job roles with variety but nope, same soup being reheated. They don’t care about their employees, always pushing numbers. Don’t recommend anyone working there unless interested in optics.
Pros
Free glasses
Cons
No paid sick time
The staff you work with are brilliant, you can have a good laugh and your day goes quickly. However that is where it stops, the pay is terrible, the director’s look at you as if your something they have stood in. They are all nice when they need you to do something, but when they don’t, it’s a different ball game. It destroy’s your self esteem, they push you to the limits, then when you leave, they tell you it’s all in your head. If it wasn’t for the amazing people I met and the lasting friends I made, I wouldn’t have stayed as long as I did. When you do leave, they screw you over so you don’t get your last pay from them.
Pros
Nice people you meet
Cons
Pay, managers, director’s
Stressful, most member of staffs ends up with some kind of mental health issue due to poor leadership, lack of care and help. At least one person a day ends up in tears! High staff turnover, sometimes people left within two to three days!! Passed out due to exhaustion and no one cared, my boss saw this and didn’t ask how i was or cared at all, it was inconvenient as i couldn’t work and another member of staff sat with me which meant two people were off the shop floor! theres no support, my bosses knew my mental health state in the end and did nothing, when i said i was leaving in the end they said “they knew i was unhappy” but did nothing to support me or even ask if i was okay? had a mental breakdown when i left in the end
Pros
There isn’t any
Cons
Everything!!
Overall a great company.Lots of jobs prospects and lots of things to learn and do and different paths to go down.Lovely friendly family feel to individual shops.Very hardworking and lots of long shifts and working weekends.But that’s retail I guess!
I dreaded going into work, I became nervous and lost confidence, there were favourites and if you didnt come up to scratch in sales you were given menial tasks and felt threatened that your job was on the line , the opticians were allowed to treat you as second rate citizens and some tests were carried out in 10 mins
Cons
This job can be incredibly busy and stressful at times, the optoms can be rude especially the locums. I did find that management weren't able to keep a good morale throughout the staff, we were always short staffed which caused a unhappy environment and the pay was low. On the other hand I enjoyed working within a team and I also loved helping people that came into the store, that can be rewarding when you have been able to help someone and they leave the store happy.
Pros
No evenings and team environment
Cons
Big staff turnover causing staff shortages
I had 3 directors as my line manager. 1 I almost never seen. 1 who micromanaged everything I did and the other that was stretched between 2 other stores. The company overall is great to work for with good perks and excellent training but is more interested in sales than patient care. Also felt all I was doing was generating profit so my director could book their next holiday or buy there next fancy car whilst the rest of us were working our hardest.
Pros
Good training and equipment
Cons
Very pressurised sales environment
Very busy practices with not enough staff. Long exhausting days with zero benefits. Doing a professional job and service for minimum wage is soul destroying. Lots of staff members constantly looking to leave and suffering with health issues as a result of the job. No bonuses or weekends off. Management with no managerial experience running stores and belittling staff, often showing little to no support during stressful times and not backing staff when dealing with awkward and rude customers. The best thing about specsavers is the people you will meet and work alongside, lifelong friendships will be made. It will ignite a passion for optics but I'd advise working for an alternative company.
Pros
The people you will meet and the friendships you'll make.
Cons
Awful pay, No weekends off, Bad management, Overworked, High targets set with nothing in return, Unsupportive directors.
The staff turnover is a joke I worked with the company for 4 years And had little training the morale in the shop is always low and they pay you till 6pm but you never get out at that time pay after that my last wage packet was not payed this is breaking the law and have yet to amend to this and pay me
If you don’t fit their criteria you will be pushed out almost immediately. You either are liked or not liked. Hired for a job role and being told your not experienced enough to complete. Atmosphere is very hard to come into if your new. Constantly having to stay over even though you have completed work and never get time given back or paid overtime. Constant pushes for meeting targets and recommending things for patients which aren’t needed. All about £££ in the till at the end of the day. Treated like rubbish and made to feel as if you are there for the jobs that nobody else wants to do, such as cleaning shelves and wiping handrails all day. Avoid this store all costs
Pros
Cons
Work anywhere else
tey draw you in with false kindness then when you're on their terrible payroll they treat you like **** I haven't worked at one with any form of good management, certainly don't try the apprenticeship the in-store teams (if your lucky enough to have one) barely help nor understand how it actually works and they always make you work late and come in early with no glimpse of pay reflecting that.
Pros
minimal physical work
Cons
workplace management and customer treatment
Lot changed was nice first off all then all the good staff left. new staff came in and over. Staff were awful forced staff member out cause they didn't like them. Staff were rude and nasty
Pros
No Sunday working
If you have a current medical condition do not apply as you will be punished for needing time off, even with a doctors note. Management are unprofessional in their way of speaking to staff, being showing favouritism and using unprofessional language. I was also not given my three warnings before this unfair dismissal, which is noted on the employment agreement.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Terrible management
They want customer in out as quickly as possible glasses not stored properly lots of errors are made re orders posting etc also expected to work out of hours for no pay !
Pros
Free glasses after probation period
Cons
Bad management who bull
  1. Employee reviews