Spire Healthcare

Spire Healthcare Employee Reviews

Excellent progression within role in a supportive environment

Featured review

Spire Healthcare selected this as a representative review
Flexible working patterns Excellent CPD and opportunities for learning Open culture (learning from issues, problem solving, non blame), friendly teams, patient-centered, collaborative workplace String management structure

3 October 2019
Hello, thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. We are so pleased to hear about your positive experience with us. Thank you for being a part of our team!

Responsive

Well done! Spire in recognizing and rectifying anomalies between the job that is advertised and the reality on the ground. Having scaled up a bank painter position to a full-time facilities assistant it shows how responsive management listen to genuine feedback and make the necessary changes.

22 October 2021
We appreciate your enthusiasm and recognition of us taking action on the feedback we receive from employees. We know a big reason our company is successful is due to our people, and we want them to feel supported and grow their careers with us. Thank you for your contributions to the Spire team!

Management tells staff to write good reviews.

I have never worked for such an unprofessional company in my entire life. The lower management are completely useless with little or no experience. Their communicational skills are zero and for those who have university degrees, go back and ask for a refund!My advice to the company…. Move over and change your management.Listen to all those negative comments. We all can’t be wrong!!

Cons

Bad management

20 October 2021
Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience. We work hard to create a collaborative working culture built on communication, and we are deeply disappointed to hear of your experience with management during your time working at Spire. We appreciate your feedback and will continue to address training in this area.

Do not apply to Spire Liverpool!

I started at Spire so excited to work hard and eventually progress, within weeks I was worn down and desperate to leave. I was taken on in the outpatient admissions department.Management are so unwilling to take on any feedback, anything suggested was taken as a personal insult and totally dismissed.I was expected to do the work of 3 staff members and received no support at all. My salary was horrendous, I was on minimum wage under immense pressure and never given any support by management, even after numerous meetings virtually begging for help. The staff turnover is horrendous and still senior management make no changes. I hope for the patients sake that changes are made at Spire Liverpool.

Pros

Zero.

Cons

Management unwilling to make desperately needed changes.

20 October 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your concerns. At Spire, we work hard to ensure our management teams promote a supportive work environment that everyone can thrive in, and we are saddened to hear of your experience. We genuinely value feedback and advise our employees to utilize our various routes to raise comments, issues, or ideas and encourage them to speak directly with either the Hospital Director or the Freedom to Speak up Guardian if necessary. We will share this review with management to discuss how we can best make improvements and prevent this experience going forward. Your insight is appreciated, and we wish you the best in your future endeavours.

Hands down the worst place I have ever worked!!

An absolutely shocking place to work where the higher Management has no clue how to run a hospital successfully!! Constantly understaffed as new staff realise how bad the place is within weeks! No induction program, no training provided or career development. They give people jobs who are "Yes" people as if you express a concern or don't agree with an idea you are ultimately "Off the team"! (a great work culture given this is a hospital!!!) No sense at all behind any decision that is ever made and things change daily...staff are then disciplined for getting these processes wrong when they are given no training and it changes overnight! This place was badly managed before the pandemic and as soon as Covid 19 hit it turned into absolute chaos! People who have worked there for years started to leave as it was so bad. The staff are lovely people and always go above and beyond to help patients, however, the way the hospital is managed is completely out of their control! I would avoid working for Spire Healthcare at all costs!

10 September 2021
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. We’re sorry to hear you had a negative experience while working at Spire. We strive to create a positive working culture that is built on teamwork and communication across all areas. We recognize that our people make the difference and do our very best to support their growth and development. We are continuing to make improvements in this area and will take on board your feedback to help us develop. We provide different routes for our employees to raise comments, issues, or concerns and encourage them to speak directly with either the Hospital Director or the Freedom to Speak up Guardian if needed. Thank you again for your feedback.

Unsupportive company

Spire has a habit of hiring the wrong people for a role and even when multiple formal complaints are filed for bullying, management and HR failed to act. One person is causing the loss of most of one team who work hard and well together.

14 September 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your concerns. At Spire, we believe in providing a work environment filled with collaboration and respect, and we are sorry to hear that this was not your experience. We work hard to ensure our management team foster a positive working culture and will continue to provide additional training in this area. Your contributions to Spire and your insight on this issue are appreciated.

Bullies.

Avoid at all costs!! Surgeons are bullied. Management don't support only if your face fits. Lots of people unhappy and struggling with mental health problems.

Pros

None, honestly.

Cons

Bulling, favouritism, nepotism

17 August 2021
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns and share your experience. We truly value the well-being of our employees and are very concerned by this review. We work hard to ensure our management teams foster a supportive culture as we strive to create a work environment that everyone can thrive in. We are committed to providing different routes for our employees to raise comments, issues, or ideas and encourage them to speak directly with either the Hospital Director or the Freedom to Speak up Guardian for these types of concerns. Your insight is appreciated, and we wish you the best in your future endeavours.

Opportunities are there if you want it!

Great place to work. Have enjoyed working for Spire and would recommend friends to work for Spire too. The experience and opportunities are there if you want them.

Pros

Free Car Park, subsidised food, development opportunity and staff wellbeing

Cons

Salary

27 July 2021
Thank you for your review! We’re glad to hear you enjoy working at Spire and invite others to support our mission of bringing together the best people to develop excellent clinical environments and delivering the highest quality patient care. We want our employees to grow their careers with us, so we are happy to offer opportunities to develop and grow within our many departments. Thank you again for your feedback.

Awful

Spire seem to hang onto outdated and old staff. Yes they have input and yes experience. Generally they are out of date and biased. They are detested by general staff. I would never go back to working for Spire

2 July 2021
Thanks for taking the time to submit a review. We know a big reason our company is successful is due to our talented people. We always try to create a supportive working environment so that all our employees can thrive. We appreciate your feedback.

Super people

Everyone that works at Spire Tunbridge Wells is very committed and highly skilled as well as being a lovely bunch of people. As an organisation Spire is behind the times. However it is doing a lot of work around diversity at the moment and staff wellbeing which has been good. They’re tight with money though. Always short staffed. I had a great few years here though and the recent change in senior management is looking positive.

Pros

Fantastic people, highly skilled staff, great subsidised restaurant (the best); small personal hospital

Cons

Staff shortages; lack of investment

7 June 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and the strides that we have made as an organisation. We are always learning and improving from feedback such as this and appreciate yours. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

A career grave yard

Interview was too easy Manager seemed nice ..too nice so should have picked up on the desperation for good staff.Once in the job the induction was non existent even though I had never worked this speciality before and expectation and stress was high.It was a case of learn fast or sink.All staff that had worked there more than a year were wanting to leave. There was a them and us culture with management that was reminicent of nursing in the past and any negative comments were silenced.I left after a year of toleration working unpaid overtime and poor management at both senior and junior level.I haven't looked back since.

Pros

Close to home

Cons

Most of it.

27 May 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry to hear that your experience was not completely positive and that you felt unsupported in your role. At Spire, we are committed to providing the necessary tools, resources, and training for everyone to be successful in their role. Our management team encourages open communication and continuous feedback so that further assistance can be provided if needed. We will speak with management to discuss how we can best make improvements and prevent this going forward. Your feedback is appreciated.

Awful Management

Team leader had a power trip, left all work for employees, underpaid, overworked with disrespectful management who look down their noses at you. Very draconian company in general. Worst place I have worked

Pros

Private healthcare

Cons

Poor management

1 June 2021
Thanks for taking the time to express your concerns. We’re sorry to hear you had a negative experience with management. We work hard to ensure our leadership teams foster a positive working culture and encourage employees to reach out to HR regarding concerns so that we can address any issues that need immediate attention.

Stressful environment

Left on own when not confident Tell you they are understanding and reasonable when they are not

Pros

Free food as a hostess

Cons

Don’t have children if working here

25 May 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry to hear that you felt unsupported in your role. Our management teams are committed to providing the necessary tools and resources for everyone to be successful, and we encourage open communication and continuous feedback so that further assistance can be provided if needed. We will speak with management to discuss how we can best make improvements and prevent this going forward. Thank you again for your feedback.

Very flexible

I have worked for Spire since December 2015. In that time I have been very well accommodated in regards to several health issues which I have. Emergency leave has been given to me to accommodate certain medical procedures which I have needed to undergo and I have received a lot of support from my colleagues and especially my manager.

Pros

Private Healthcare

12 May 2021
Thank you for writing a review and for sharing your experience. Our hospitals wouldn’t be anything without our hardworking team members and we are proud to be able to support them in many ways. Whether that be with a collaborative working environment, appropriate tools and resources, flexible schedules, or great benefits. We hope you continue to grow your career with us.

Seriously Underpaid

So much responsibility for minimum wage. Pulled in all directions for the whole shift and often required to stay late as there was so much to get done. Also, very clicky, can you honestly be friends with everyone in the whole company ? Management frequently gossiping within earshot, very unprofessional. Little career progression available.

Pros

Free drinks

Cons

Pay appalling

4 May 2021
Thanks for taking the time to express your concerns. We’re sorry to hear you had a negative experience. At Spire, we strive to offer competitive pay and benefits in line with the industry marketplace average. We work hard to ensure our management team foster a positive working culture and will continue to provide training in this area. Your candid feedback is appreciated as we continue to improve the employee experience at Spire.

Busy place, great team of people and doing good works

I have worked here for 5 years now and love the team of people who are genuinely caring about each other. It's been tough through lockdown and I am so grateful that we were able to carry on working safely rather than sitting at home.Good to know that at the end of the day we are working to get patients treated and better.It's not perfect, as some days you don't finish on time (but you do get paid for staying over) and the flipside is that the unpredictability means it isn't boring.Can't understand earlier comments about the management - don't know where else you would see the bosses so regularly or easily as they are always about and listening.

Pros

Free car park, medical insurance, great colleagues, making people better

Cons

Long days at times

28 April 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience. We are glad to hear that you enjoy working here and we are happy to have you on our team! The safety and well-being of our employees is a priority, and our management teams are committed to providing the necessary tools and resources for everyone to care for patients safely. Your insight is appreciated as we continue to support our dedicated team members.

Professional and Caring

The Management invest in thier staff. There is an amazing caring culture. The teams are all welcoming and friendly while maintaining thier professionalism.A great place to work

Pros

Subsidised meals, great management and lovely teams

Cons

Would like salary enhancements for weekend, nights and Bank Holidays

21 April 2021
Thank you for your review! We are pleased to hear that you feel welcomed by your team and supported by management. We know a big reason our company is successful is due to our people and we always try to create a working environment that our employees can thrive in. Your insight and feedback are appreciated as we continue to grow.

Bullying culture from management rampant

Bullying from management a huge issue at Spire, multiple staff complaining and leaving but it is never addressed. Not only in catering department, in the hospitality sector it seemed like normalised work behaviour, however I have never seen anything like the treatment I saw from management to staff at Spire. Just awful.

Pros

Cons

Bullying, unbearable working atmosphere

14 April 2021
Thanks for taking the time to express your concerns and share your experience with us. We work hard to ensure our management team fosters a positive culture where everyone feels respected and supported in their roles. We are committed to providing different routes to raise comments, concerns or ideas and encourage employees to speak directly with either the Hospital Director or the Freedom to Speak up Guardian to better understand concerns such as these. Thank you again for your insight. We will speak with management to discuss how we can best make improvements and prevent this going forward.

Great work environment with friendly team

I have found it an enjoyable environment to work in so far, all staff are friendly and approachable and the company have a hands on approach and listen to staffs needs

Pros

Lots of benefits, nice work atmosphere

31 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We’re glad to hear you enjoy working with your team. We believe that our people are the key to our success. Your feedback is appreciated.

Awful

As a secretary I really enjoy working for my consultants, they are the only reason I stay. As for the Spire, dreadful management, very old fashioned. Management always passing the buck and not taking responsibility, no support, no training, no procedures in place, overworked and blame culture in place. A very money grabby company that cares more about profit than staff welfare/patients. Spire is a disaster waiting to happen. I think they should bring in a management consulting firm to restructure the whole place and get with the times.

Pros

Excellent consultants... And leaving at the end of the day!

Cons

Overworked, very poor management

10 March 2021
Thanks for taking the time to express your concerns and sharing your feedback with us. We work hard to ensure our management team foster a supportive culture and we are committed to providing different routes to raise comments, concerns or ideas. We appreciate the work and skills that each of our colleagues brings to our organisation and would encourage you to speak directly with either the Hospital Director or the Freedom to Speak up Guardian to better understand your specific concerns.

Awful place to work

Do not work at Spire Southampton. Awful place to work where the management only ever care about the money lining their pockets. Many redundancies were happening when I was there and the people were treated poorly. Always promised bonuses, they never came. Promised pay rises, they never came. The work load was never spread fairly and it is full of lazy management. I'm so glad I'm no longer working for them.

Pros

None.

Cons

Everything.

5 March 2021
Thanks for taking the time to express your concerns. We’re sorry to hear you had a negative experience. Our management teams strive to create a supportive and respectful working culture where everyone can be their best selves at work. We will speak with management to discuss how we can prevent this type of experience going forward. Thank you again for sharing your feedback with us as we continue to grow and improve.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spire Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement