Sports Direct

Sports Direct Employee Reviews

United Kingdom3,363 reviews

Found 3,363 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,561 reviews

Poor management

The job is easy enough but very fast paced at times and they never seemed to have enough staff despite taking summer and Christmas temps on. Management were not flexible with hours despite the majority of employees being on 0 hour contracts.

Slow days, terrible management and under appreciated

Days are very slow even when the store is busy. Management is terrible from store management up. Very under appreciated from managers but also customers who sometimes think they can talk to you in which ever manner they see fit because you work there!

Insights into Sports Direct

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Please don't work here

I have been working in Sports Direct for a month and a half and I'm getting ready to quit. They work you to the bone, especially in a store like mine that has very little staff and management that refuse to recruit. Some of our staff are doing almost 60 hours a week or the store could not stay open. Payroll cut off dates (that I missed by 1 day) meant I still have not been payed and won't be until I have been working for 2 months. Training was terrible, there is no order in the stock rooms and I was never taught which shoes are in which stock room so I have to either guess and spend too long looking or constantly ask staff (which they clearly find annoying). And I find that staff who have been there for years (earning the same as you with the same job title) will treat you as a subordinate and with no respect. The breaks are terrible... I understand it's law that you get breaks starting from 6hrs on shift, but a 20 minute break is nothing when you work in such a stressful, fast-paced environment. Also the fingerprint system for clocking in/out on shifts and breaks makes the place feel like a prison. If you are 17-18 I reccommend working here because management will only give you 4 hour shifts so they can avoid giving you breaks, so at least you won't be worked until you're exhausted while you're still at school.

Enjoyable

I really enjoyed my time here, worked up from the bottom and got the recognition I deserved.Easy place to work Good bonuses Made some great friends

Pros

Good bonuses

Cons

Long hours weekend working

Aight

Standard place, busy, unorganised. Only positive was location and discount on trainers. Expected to stay late without pay to setup shop for next day. Can see why a lot of people leave

Fun , sometimes stressful

Management was good I would say, they didn’t sit around doing nothing I.e. they were very involved in the everyday running of the store including jumping on tills, shop floor and deliveries. I’ve worked at other places where the manager stayed in the office all day. Most colleagues were nice and welcoming. It can be a lot of work especially in busy periods such as Christmas or back to school. Pay was okay.

Great place

Good place and good pay for the hours Good work and always something to do , managers and section leaders are great And people are so polite Make so many friends and you can have fun whilst working

If you like telling people they can't have a refund over and over or being asked the same questions then pop on down to sports direct

A typical day for me is either being the front door or tills and mostly getting late shifts and no variations of shifts what I have learned since working here is that people will try anything to get money off or how they think that because the company doesn't do refunds it's against the law

Repetitive

Staff are all friendly to each other and there’s a good vibe and being able to change shifts pretty freely are what make it worth if you can deal with not so great pay

Minimum wage, a few shift options, few years without any chance for a contract, small Poland which not everyone is happy with.

Quick briefing, and my job was to pick boxes on a VNA. Very easy, simple job with easy to achieve target (it was 40, where we could easly do 100), so easy job, management like everywhere, some good and bad people. The agency shocking. Treating people without any respect. Maybe it's different now as I was there a few years ago.

Pros

If you don't speak english you will still get a job.

Cons

Not all people will be happy working in small Poland.

Fun workplace

Loved my time working for the company, flexible hours, great management, occasional difficult customer but overall enjoyed my experience and job working for the company

Fun workplace lovely staff great management

I loved working here I had a fear of heights however they helped me over come that and never pressured me to do anything I wasn't comfortable with like the 6ft ladders I was trained to do everything in every department and I really enjoyed how friendly everyone was it was great. The management here were brilliant which made working here really enjoyable and easy. On a slow day we would hold team challenges such as who could make the most comission sales etc in order to get through the day and make it a little more interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed my job there and maybe in the future I would work there again.

Decent workplace but pay is bad

Overall the job is okay but the management and rules is what makes the place terrible, the pay isn’t good and it feels very repetitive. The only positive is the people you work with and that you can pick days which suit you.

Average

There are worse places to work but management are awful. pay is a few pence above minimum wage. and the rota is consistently changed last minute. Coworkers in general all get along though.

Pros

Commission, good shift lengths, coworkers

Cons

Management, shift changes, wage

Awful

The manger does not care about you or its customers plus pay is low I would not recommend. I worked there for around 3 months and then quit as you also have a lack of breaks

Terrible Workplace

Terrible place too work. Management is awful, zero hour contracts. Bad pay and commission. Awful training, layout and poor communication. No support from the managers. Overall bad place too work!

Worst place I’ve ever worked

Horrible place to work, unprofessional atmosphere. Constantly on edge around managers, spoken down to, if you didn’t agree to a shift for any outside commitments (uni) you would receive the basic amount of hours the following weeks. Honestly wouldn’t work in a shop again based on how the staff was treated here

Nice place to work

Great place to work, great management and great staff. Obviously retail is always stressful because of the customers but the team is really fun to work with, hours are not bad and the managers are really nice.

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Long hours ish

it wasn’t good the manager wasn’t good enough, if you left tags on items they would come and embarrass you and just like make you feel like worthless

Really funny company

Job is fine, but people around are horrible.People can't concentrate on their own work because people are talking behind their back all the time. Management not desciplinated. They can upset you easily.

Best first job you can imagine.

I started working here since i was 16 and i have learnt a variety of skills that I think would help me in the future. The staff are excellent company to be around and this helps me to improve my work ethic. As a whole the company is great however the pay does let it down but because it is zero hour contract you can get unexpected shifts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sports Direct. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Sports Direct with

• Sports Direct
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?