Sports Direct logo

Sports Direct Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Found 3,206 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,383 reviews

Stressfull workplace

You get paid minimum wage and they require you to do the most. Not only that but we are always understaffed, not sure whether it’s due to not enough hours or not enough employees. We run around like animals on the shop floor. Only good thing is the people you work with. If you’re looking for a demanding and fast paced job this is it. They also love putting people on 4/5 hour shifts. How stupid.

Pros

20% staff discount, fun colleagues

Cons

Overworked

Terrible place to work

NEVER WORK HERE! Terrible place to work, people there have favourites and managers are horrible, they pick on you and not even help you out when you need it. Management is terrible, they change your shifts last minute without giving you a notice. The manager only gives people long shifts if they like you, if you aren't one of his favourites then you only get 5 hours max. The people who you work with are so lazy they just tell you to do their part too while they sit on their bums having a mother's meeting. They don't even treat people fairly at this workplace either where you get left out most the time. I wouldn't recommend this job especially the one in Walsall.

Pros

Commissions I would say

Cons

The people

Don’t recommend

I worked here back in 2014. Don’t recommend sports direct, the pay was less than minimum wage. They expect you to work for free a lot. Good for under 18, lots of respect for them around coll he times and ensuring they don’t over do it, don’t work passed 10pm etc. Sports direct.. is good for a part time college/uni job.

Pros

Pay always on time.

Cons

Pay, management

Stressful and horrible place to work.

Sports direct is a place where u can expect bad communication with managers and awful pay... the pay is not worth stress honestly. Horrible working environment, you will feel no sense of value just being used. whilst being paid minimum wage.

Pros

Building customer service skills

Cons

Awful communication, lack of communication with management, no or hardly any training, uncertain amount of hours one week you might do 24 the other week u might do 3.

Good just the pay

I love working at SD just the pay is so bad for under 18’s. I’d recommend as a first job to get experience nothing more tbh. Lovely staff tho management is the best at my sports direct they are all so lovely.

Pros

Lovely staff, chill environment

Cons

Sometimes it’s so chill it’s boring

Terrible

Just don’t even apply 0 hr contract and terrible management that slag you off behind your back most of the part timers and some blue tops are nice enough but it’s honestly not worth the hastle

Shocking

Worst place I’ve ever worked in my life, you are expected to do every shift you’re given even when given very little notice. Hard work goes unrecognised and the people who do nothing and suck up to managers are the people who get “rewarded” you have to be part of a certain group in order to get away with things other people would not.

Pros

Cons

Poor hours and management

Not a nice place

Staff do not care about their workers, they just want to fill their pockets with your commission. Unrealistic targets to sell KPI for bare minimum pay. You will be expected to put social life on hold and made to feel guilty if you are unable to work specific days or cover shifts with short notice.

Boring,fast pace

If you are not a teenager your face doesn't fit, Not very helpful management not happy when you call them to s return as only certain till staff are given the code, not good when very busy and people want money back

Pros

Cons

Early morning shifts 6.am start

Not hours and no progression

No hours available for 0 hour contract staff and I would only get four hours a week at one point and is no way too live for anyone never mind as full time.

Pros

Non

Cons

Bad pay bad hours

Jobs at Sports Direct

See more jobs

Great team to work with

I started out as a 16 year old with no work experience in retail and got made feel welcomed an part of the excellent team of employees and the management was top class making sure to get the best out of me and helping me to get a high level of commission each day

Pros

Good commission scheme, great people, top class management

Cons

3 hour shifts

amazing place to work with other great people

nexus is a brilliant agency to work for staff are friendly and welcoming sports direct i love working here been there nearly 2 years great staff and management

Pros

nexus brilliant agency

Cons

Really enjoyed my time here

Applied for a Seasonal Sales Advisor Role. Group interview, not my favourite but expected when hiring multiple candidates. Training was extensive and well done, received a lot of support. Pay was good for a retail place, morale was high, lots of incentives for staff. Management was laid back yet professional, that reflected in the store’s performance. I really enjoyed my time here.

Pros

Incentives and prizes to win.

Cons

Store was very busy at times

stressful/ unhelpful

Part time staff have to work hard to get full time staff and above their bonuses. Then listen to them talking about how they will spend it. Demoralising

Pros

Cons

unpaid 15 minutes before and after shifts

Fun workplace but bad management and no regular shift patterns.

The best part of the job was the other employees. I made friends for life at Sports Direct and they made the job more bearable. The worst part for me was the management. On one occasion upper management made an employee cry on the shop floor in front of everyone for forgetting to wear their name badge. My manager would 'forget' to give you days off that you booked off months in advance. When you went to rectify the mistake, they acted like it was your fault and that you were hassling them. I worked here during my A-Levels and, as I had a 4-12 hour contract they could put me down for any day of the week, however they often gave me more than I asked for. I told them that I could do a maximum of 3 four hour shifts a week because of my exams and they constantly ignored me and gave me four shifts or more. Then when I told them I would have to leave because I couldn't study and work 4 or 5 shifts simultaneously, they told me that I should be putting my part time job at Sports Direct above my studies (???). Upper management generally were annoyed at everyone 24/7, including other managers. It wasn't rare to see managers crying on the shop floor. They also made us stay everyday to clean after the store closed at 9pm, usually anywhere from an extra 30-60 minutes, despite our shift ending at 9pm and they never paid us for any of this extra time. They literally wouldn't let you leave when you were supposed to finish. Finally, when I started at the age of 16, they made me stay behind until 12:30am to help with stock check despite me having school the next day and being under 18. They didn't -

Pros

The other employees

Cons

Management, no consistent shift schedule

Awful

Was the worst job I’ve ever had,staff where horrible and your on your feet for 5+ hours sometimes just walking in circles, pay is awful and now worth it at all

Cons

Long hours, short break

Ridiculously long hours, lazy manager.

Ridiculously long hours, averaged 55hours a week on a quiet week. Salaries so no OT or lieu time. Lots of demands from area managers and Ho Work life balance is horrific, if your single is an good job if you want to progress, if you have a family, a social life or a hobby I’d steer clear

Pros

Pay

Cons

Long hours, management expectations

Fast-paced...

The management for the shop i worked in were lovely, the whole team are all such lovely people and make everyone feel welcome. A lot of staff members can be lazy and often do not clean up correctly, making it a huge hassle and a lot more work for the few that do. The pay is only a few pence over minimum wage an hour, which in all honesty is nothing ( I work only weekends as i am at college still), i have a car to run and most months find myself running out of money by the third week... The company itself does not seem to care much for its any of their staff. The shop lacks general maintenance, the upstairs floor is unbearably hot all the time and makes it almost impossible to work. I go home with headaches from the heat. The stockroom layouts are ridiculous, they say not to climb up very high shelves and have ladders placed in the stockrooms, yet in some places you cannot get a ladder out at all, so are forced to climb up these shelves which a fair few are broken by now from everyone climbing up them.... The management at my shop are amazing, they always give out hours fairly and I have never found myself a week without hours. Everyone is so lovely and friendly, it’s just a shame that the way they are told to run/ do certain things are so silly and it seems like no money is being spent on important general maintenance things the shop is in desperate need of. and for some reason they only train new people in tills, there hasn’t been any new staff members for shoes in ages.

Pros

lovely friendly team

Cons

shop lacks general maintenance, can be really stressful, some staff members are useless

Good work place

Fun place to work good staff good management fair pay . Its fast paced and there is alot to do but you have fun doing it . You learn alot of new things working for them I learned alot about football boots and the different types and surfaces .

Pros

20 percent discount

Cons

Hours can be hit and miss

Kind colleges

The climes is very good between the workmates and there is alot of fun and a happy environment. They respect you and thank you for your work.The hours and the payment though is not the best for the job you're doing.

Pros

Hapoy environment

Cons

Bad scedule

Not worth it

Rude management. No team work, and for the pay absolutely not worth the time with how much work you do. Mangers make you do everything. And if your ill and don’t come in, they will hate you even more.

Pros

Cons

Long hours. Unfair pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sports Direct. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9