Spurgeons

Spurgeons Employee Reviews for Support Worker

Support Worker6 reviews
United Kingdom6 reviews

3.5Pay & benefits

Support Worker position that allows you to meet new people regularly and is very rewarding

Meeting the public and being able to discuss their health and well being regarding their new born and to encourage new mothers and their family and friends to support them. To encourage breast feeding over bottle and to highlight the benefits. To signpost mothers and partner to join groups or be a part of other parents that keep them from feeling isolated. The joy in seeing the children grow strong healthy and very balanced, parents with support remember you and let you know your input had made a positive difference.

Cons

You feel like big brother is with you as every minute must be accounted for

Enjoyable and rewarding work with families and young people. Lack of much needed support and supervision from manager.

Support work was rewarding with families. I learned a lot whilst working at Spurgeons and enjoyed supporting young people.Regular training and opportunities to do additional if money was available.However, there were not enough resources and heavy case loads made it difficult to achieve good outcomes for young people and their families.Unrealistic deadlines, high case loads without proper support or supervision. Management not available for workers to debrief and talk through complex cases. Awful lack of support to deal with team issues and manager was not respected by most of the team due to her ignoring there was a problem and not being present in the team office.Long service seemed to count for nothing and hard workers ( all of the team) were not valued or appreciated.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Poor supervision

Insights into Spurgeons

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Supportive environment
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Great!

Great place to work :) friendly staff particularly HR team who were very helpful during the recruitment process helpful managers

Pros

staff

Cons

Challenging environment to work in, poor management, training and lack of opportunities for progression.

This is a very challenging environment to work in due to poor management, training, resources and lack of opportunities for progression. Colleagues and team members are positive and supportive, however, this is impacted upon negatively by the issues listed above. Family support work is demanding and challenging, but is the most rewarding job in terms of supporting families through crisis points in their life and enabling them to make improvements and progress.

Enjoy working with the public

• All Receptionist duties carried out in a professional and friendly manner using a warm welcoming smile. • Always adhere to security policies ensuring staff and the general public are safe. • Responding to customer/employer requests, whether in person, by mail or via email, in a polite and professional manner. • Ensuring families with children are taken care of appropriately. • Answering switchboard phones, dealing with and directing calls appropriately. • Escorting clients to various conference rooms and buildings. • Explaining procedures to customers and staff members. • Taking messages in a positive and effective manner. • Building and maintain good relationships with prison staff. • Opening and closing buildings in accordance with company policy. • Good record keeping both manually and on computer. • General filing carried out according to company policy. • Booking clients in/out of buildings in a professional manner • Handling Petty Cash and carrying out banking duties, always ensuring cash is balanced out. • Making sure conference rooms are clean and tidy. • Organising catering facilities for functions. • Safeguarding the welfare of all people especially children. Most of my working career has been team based, where I always demonstrate good practice. I work within the guidelines of my employer and follow regulations. I am responsible and sensitive to all my colleagues’ and others needs. Am extremely trustworthy and have excellent time keeping. During my time working at Brixton and Wormwood Scrubs Prisons, I have worked as a team member. I carry -

Pros

Helping the public

Cons

Long travelling to work

My experience of working for Spurgeons was not typical as it was the result of a TUPE process

Started working at 8.30 - 4.30 Management were very busy because of the TUPE process and so feedback was very inconsistent, deadlines coming and going without any feedback My co-workers were extremely supportive and helpful during my transfer process Working with the families and children and building their trust

Pros

Ability to plan my own working day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spurgeons. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Spurgeons with

Learn about Spurgeons in popular locations

• Spurgeons