SSE PLC

SSE PLC Employee Reviews

Sadly the culture here is; if your face fits or you're "friends" with Senior Management / HR you do well and you're in a lead role before you know it. Those that genuinly work hard to progess get over looked. Great pay and flexible working for the majority of teams - call centre staff are fixed hours/shifts. H&S focused heavily on, to the point of extreme. Loyalty and long service mean nothing to SSE, we've witnessed many employees turn up for work, taken into a meeting and given financial packages to leave with no notice. If you're looking to earn good money SSE is a great stepping stone, but don't get too comfy there.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Inconsistancies overall
I would be given a set of tasks to complete and do my very best get them done within a set time which I was capable of doing.I learnt how to interact with various characters and had good communication skills. I am capable of using Microsoft Word and Excel.Management should be approachable and fair to their staff, they require respect but also to be respective.The culture of the company meant the health and safety of it's employers, we were encouraged to appreciate the beliefs of people, behaviors, and attitudes.Sometimes I wasn't able to grasp some of the computer skills straight away but given time I was fine, that I would say was the hardest part for me. The best parts for me was the interaction with my colleagues. I really did enjoy going to work.
Pros
Great colleagues and management
Cons
There weren't any
If your face doesn't fit forget it, management are a joke and very clique if you like to be moaned about stats and trying to sell to customers waiting over 2 hours good luck
Pros
Cons
Stress and targets always changing
Very competitive culture, target driven. Management are so focused on hitting their KPIs with little consideration given to your mental health. You are very much just a number.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Target driven, No care given to your well being
Nice enough people but the whole structure is poorly thought out. They try to force the workflow to fit the reporting metrics in stead of using the metrics to measure the business. Also they try to use telephone sales practices to run the technical field support service. If you are a fan having 180 seconds each hour allocated to either using the toilet or getting a drink, this job may be for you. Soul destroying.
Pros
Clean
Cons
Terrible, soul destroying culture.
Started so well, then in the last few years, no care was given to employees. Work goals set to make sure you would fail. You could never do enough, always wanting more. The most stressful job ever.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Company does not care about you only what you can give to them
In general the experience was sublime, salary rates was quite down for the technical work carried but they were flexible, friendly and supportive all the time.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Salary
I worked at SSE on a fixed term contract for six months. Despite this within in the first week I had already felt like I had been there for years. I was well supported, buddied up with a supervisor and had regular catch ups with management who are always there to help. Colleagues were friendly and helpful and we all worked together. Just a shame there wasn’t any full time jobs in the department after my contract.
Pros
Great support never left to struggle, excellent canteen, good work/life balance
Cons
Work could be a bit repetitive
I worked at SSE for 10 years and they do a lot of things right but are going in the wrong direction. They've got some really interesting infrastructure; but some of it older than the ark. They've got some fantastic technical staff but they outsourced nearly all of them overseas and from the people who I know still there "it's gone to the dogs". They were a great company to work for 7 years ago.
Pros
Great colleagues (the ones left), interesting projects and infrastructure, they do genuinely want to help the environment
Cons
Awful senior management - Couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag, Very bureaucratic, You are very much in a machine.
Too much favouritism with managers choosing which staff should progress and get special treatment. Advisors stats are more important than their welfare.
If you want a decent salary but have management telling you one thing and them doing something that makes your working day completed difficult and near impossible then this is the place for you....Even when you point these problems out, another area gets the blame... and then the circle starts again...
Pros
Salary for the job
Cons
Work/Life balance... Management
No help, tables antiques never works when you need it , battery life on table need charging constantly, communication and commissions are a nightmare on jobs for 4 hours everyday for 1 job! And you still have 3 to do! Mangers it for there self as well as brownie point on shafting you every turn the get a chance so the look good, could not run a bath!!!
Cons
When I started with SSE in 2012, it was almost like stepping back in time about 20 years. Some of the systems and ways of working were similar to the way it was in the 1990's. However this was not a bad thing necessarily as the systems still worked and had been tried and tested. There was a huge emphasis on health and safety which sometimes seemed to overwhelm the simplicity of the job.
Pros
Good salary and benefits, great customer service.
Cons
Sometimes slow to implement new developments.
The people made the job, I have worked there many years and had some great times. Since OVO took o er the culture has changed a bit and the SSE side doesn’t feel as valued
SSE has an incredibly toxic culture from middle management downwards. The upper management are too busy talking about “bigger problems” to see what’s happening below them. I worked for the company for about 4 months in my probation period and felt every single negative was picked up on immediately so I could be forced out of the door before my probation was over and any positive was swept away so the negatives could be forced upon me. A truly awful experience
Pros
Cons
Toxic culture, harsh treatment, negative environment
The job itself isn't difficult, but it's made difficult by the micromanagement of phone calls and targets that mean you're not allowed to have a bad day where your numbers aren't quite on target. Progression is an absolute joke, there's 3 roles above me before you become a team manager and none of the three have a pay rise
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Everything but the colleagues
Management are horrendous no people/management skills they lie constantly and cover each other’s backs! Will never own up to their mistakes and if your face doesn’t fit your going nowhere! Its all about the pals act! Job can be very draining customers are difficult to deal with and no matter what happens Management advise the customer is always right! Please stay away!
Pros
Work colleagues
Cons
Small minded management with no relevant skills
Did not enjoy my time here at all. Fine if you are not wanting to advance your career, right f you do be prepared to stab every single person you know in the back and turn into a complete “yes” man for management.
I temped there a couple of times. I don't know what their salaries are like. The people are nice. The workload is pretty high but not unmanageable. I woukd recommend it.
Pros
nice colleagues
Cons
None that i encountered
I worked for SSE in London through an employment agency, full-time hours, meter reading. Friendly management, good hourly rates, overtime available, generous bonus scheme.
Pros
Wages, bonus scheme, friendly supportive management
Cons
Out in all weathers
Expect redundancy as new call centre abroad.. Late shifts till 8pm, could be later depending on call. Very stressful, target driven, you must hit your stats or you get a series of warnings..
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Expect to give every ounce and probably still not succeed.
  1. Employee reviews