SSP

SSP Employee Reviews

Nice place to work with good team.

Nice place to work with good team. Since the first week I saw it is a good place to work with good team mates and polite customers. And when I was on delivery others wants to help me if I need it.

Pros

Close to home and good hours to work

Cons

Short hours.

Avoid joining this company

Awful management. They are fully disconnected from employees, they expect you to be flexible, whereas they are absolutely inflexible themselves, especially when it comes down to rotas. There's no incentive to do well at this company, no clear path of progression within the company. Work environment is also terrible, lots of drama and absolutely zero sense of teamwork.Avoid this company at all costs

Pros

Cons

Unsociable hours, terrible managers

Understaffed and over worked

The pay in minimum yet you'll be expected to cash up, count safes, be security as well as the job you applied to do. They don't offer any benefits, the discount card is insanely hard to get as well as not offering free or discounted food on shift. They food waste is insane! They'd rather throw away 20+ baguettes away than feed their staff lunch.

Cons

Long hours, minimum wage, no benefits

Understaffed, ridiculous scheduling of shifts.

The work was straightforward enough. Greedy and disrespectful firm, would have employees work extremely late and then return early next morning. Less than 8hrs off between shifts!. Constantly understaffed. Also over demanding and arrogant Management.

Pros

Free Lunch.

Cons

Sickening treatment of employees.

Profit before everything else

Worked for SSP for more than 10 years as manager. It used to be a decent company to work for with good work/life balance until it was floated on stock marked in 2013 and share prices and profit became first priority.From that moment on managers were required to run stores with less and less staff whilst they kept creating new roles and recruiting more people in Head Office.Being based in London it was impossible to recruit as we paid minimum wage and we were not competitive against other retailers. It was very embarrassing to offer less than £6 per hr to candidate under 21 years old.Turnover was sky high as staff wouldn't stay long as the amount of work they were required to carry out was not worth the pay.Pay for managers was not bad and was the same or higher than similar companies but at the end all the stress and long hours was not worth it.Last couple of years got even worse as we were asked all the time to save money by reducing staff levels, resulting in lots of customers complaints due to long queues, poor service, poor quality of food etc.Due to COVID they made thousands of people redundant and I was one of them, despite being a loyal employee for such a long time I did not receive a single call/message/letter from line manager/HR to thank me for my service.Overall, is a good company for HQ staff as pay is very good, job is easy and less stressful, if you think of a career in management SSP is good as first step in learning the job but not long term

Pros

Good salary for management and HQ staff

Cons

Poor pay for hourly paid employees, poor working conditions for catering units

Good

I enjoyed working here the managers where very accommodating for my needs only thing that let it down was the pay for the amount of work you do but mangers where very understanding

Pros

Discount card

Cons

Pay

Best work place.

Very good work place. Professional, looking after the staff. Very organised, every year pay review, best place to work. Professional Management team.

Ssp

I worked for for the company for a year First off the team i worked with particularly one team leader was lovely However the assistant store manager was really unsupportive and in the end I felt I was constantly being critsized and bullied to a point and I had to leave as mental health went fantastic its minimum wage so its not fantastic in my opinion i personally wouldn't work for the company again

Pros

Cons

Min wage unsocial hours

Aviod this company at all costs!!

This is by far the worst company I’ve ever worked for! They worked us like dogs for minimum wage and never thanked us for all the hard work and effort we put it, to keep the place afloat! Worked nonstop for so long in hope for a promotion (which they promised) and never got one, then got someone new to come in and was push aside like a warn out dog! Under staffed constantly, higher management gave no support, expected you to literally do everything! No GM for 6 months, but expect to carry on as normal and do tasks of higher management without the pay! Area manager an absolute joke, with no interest in helping anyone! Just used to swan in and watch us suffer. If you worked a 12 hours shift, you’d get 30 mins break as you’d have to rush back out to help, due to low staffing! No free meals and no colleague incentives. Worst mistake was working for this company and wasted years of my life to just be in pushed aside! Only positive is, the people who work along side of you. Best people you’ll meet and friends for life!

Pros

The people

Cons

Almost everything

Fun an hard working workplace

Got a lot of experience from this job gave a lot of responsibilities which was an still is much appreciated also great team member loving caring an always willing to help if possible

Jobs at SSP

See more jobs

Too many early mornings.

Nice company too many early mornings it's very busy early in the morning you got to be quick on your feet people are nice to work with I would recommend it to a friend.

Worst job ever

Do not work for this company!!!! Managers walk around like royalty, barking orders at the staff, but you can never find one when you need one. No communication at all, different managers/ team leaders will tell you different things. Only care about sales, not staff or customers. Minimum wage for maximum work

Cons

Honestly can’t wait for it to go under

An absolute horror show of a company. From head office down to shop staff, the place is a mess, nobody seems to be able to manage a thing. The “bonus” doesn’t exist as if your store did reach targets, these would be changed the day before payslip cut off so you didn’t get the bonus. Management are poor, not hands on in the slightest. Very poor rate of pay compared to amount of work / expectations of yourself. Head office are completely uninterested in helping you with any task at all. The whole place is teetering on the edge due to covid and fingers crossed it crashes and burns.

Cons

Not enough time to list them all

Stay away from this company

I was provided great training and was really excited to start working there as team member/barista .But everything changed overnight when I actually started working ,management werent helpful or supportive and colleagues in general werent great either. It was quiet stressful as were pushed to multitask and be fast. It was hard to get there full time position since they employed too many people for one place. The good thing was free lunch at least.

Pros

Lunch, training

Cons

Minimum wage, stressful environment

Work place

Ssp was great employer very supportive manger encouraging me to do my best within my role great team members and regular customers providing good training

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Left alone sometimes

Boring and repetitive

Worked here for several years. Staff that I worked with on a daily basis were great. The job can be very boring, especially when it is quiet in the afternoons. There will be the same tasks to do every single day. There is often little to do but wait for the next customer. Pay is minimum wage.

Pros

Good staff

Cons

Boring

Happy place

Very busy and have to keep a good pace.. But a great team to work with. Always happy to help and make it a nice place to work. Can be hard work and on your feet a lot but seeing different people from all walks of life is very rewarding.

Pros

Feel safe

Cons

No cons

Ah SSP still have you in my nightmares

Literal joke company that threats you like garbage, you constantly get yelled at, managers cut your hours non stop even if your so called contract says 40 hours. I did both day and night shifts, worked hard like a slave with no management or staff to support me, was put on a till with NO TRAINING at all, which made me lose my sanity eventually. They will also take away atleast 1 or 2 (out of 5) days from you when its quite time like in winter, due to the fact that they gotta save money and none cares that you cant afford food with such garbage pay and hours. I have worked at Manchester AIrport for SSP and in Manchester as well. Wasted 3 years of my life working for them, hoping to get a promotion or something. The only good thing was people I met, made some decent friends. Anyway, dont bother, avoid SSP like a plague.

Pros

some decent staff that became friends

Cons

no tips, no free lunch, no free uniform like they promise, no social hours, no nothing

Staff trending is poor sometimes

The company organisation is good, managers are comited, but sometimes they don't have all products needed to run the business. And in audit times everyone will be nervous because the staff is not ready for that

Pros

Respect the closing time

Cons

The night cleaners don't do their job always

Airport environment

My experience is related to the airport environment when it used to be a very busy place, especially during summertime. The management was the worse part of my job experience. He was not supportive at all, not able to speak with the workers. He was unable to promote teamwork. I experienced verbal harassment from a colleague. The manager ignored my complaint and I did not find any support, except other colleagues who had, among other things, had the same experience before.

Pros

Easy to get the job, with low level of English

Cons

Very busy place, no free lunch

Not good

Very poor management no support in anything can't be bothered to explain things. hours very unsociable and dont support people with children expect them to open at 5am or close at 10pm. No benefits rewards no Christmas parties bonuses or anything no good points about this company apart from the job is quite easy.

Pros

Cons

A lot

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SSP. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement