St Andrew's Healthcare

St Andrew's Healthcare Employee Reviews

A challenging but highly rewarding place to work

Featured review

St Andrew's Healthcare selected this as a representative review
Yes St Andrew’s is a challenging place to work but I’ve never worked anywhere that had a more collaborative approach to dealing with challenges. Great colleagues, great working environment, great values and a real shared sense of purpose. You will need high levels of resilience, a positive work ethic and a desire to help our patients on their recovery journeys. There are plenty of other places to work if you don’t have these!

Highly stressful environment , poor management and non dedicated staff.

At first i really enjoyed working at St Andrews , but then it declined rapidly with poor structure and lack of management and support the job became very difficult and highly stressful. It was also apparent that a large selection of the staff we're not dedicated or interested in the job or supporting the patients , this made work very difficult as no one felt respected , supported or listened to. The nature of this job at times can be difficult which is something i expected but the lack of support from management and other staff made the job impossible at times and i soon came to dread going to work. The dedicated staff went unappreciated for the long hours and effort that they put in.

It's all about who manages you in the end...

I felt proud to join the mental health sector when moving to St Andrew's, and like many others wanted to make a positive difference. I naively believed mental health advice and support extended to both patients and staff. Certainly the patients they say anyway...In my time, no meaningful mental health advice for staff and a lot of blown up trumpet blowing and PR spinning about how amazing they are. In actual fact, their external voice didn't seem to match up with what was happening on the ground internally. Cutting corners, quick wins, financial restraints on the tiniest of spends (£50 or less), communication blocking, years of financial mismanagement, playing the charity card to soften the psychiatric hospital functions. Management never really understood my role or that of the department and didn't really try to engage with the workforce. Just a figure on a piece of paper...I left with no communication or an acknowledgement from my manager... even after claiming the staff employee of the month CARE Award the month before (this wasn't acknowledged by the manager either).

Pros

Beautiful grounds

Cons

Work Culture (micro management, blame, fear)

Keep away

I was working one of the wards and there was an incident with a patient, I was off work for some time with stress and I was told that I had to return to the same ward or quit. Four years later I have been diagnosed with PTSD and I have found a temporary placement off of the wards. Come for the experience if you want, but you will be another body through the grinder and beware of the hatchet man there are lots of cutbacks going on.

Avoid

Worse company to work for. Don’t value staff, miscommunication a lot of time. Disrespectful to patients, do not clean scrubs especially during COVID. Staff shout in patients faces. Staff continuously talk about each other instead of doing the job they are there to do.

Poor work culture

The hospital is ran like a business and money is the motive rather than caring for the patients. I worked there for 8 years and felt disposable and undervalued. Higher management make decisions and don’t spend any time on the wards. The physio team is not taken seriously or valued and they are some of the only staff who deliver great quality care. Understaffed and dangerous.

Cons

Leading staff/under staffed/unsafe

awful experience

constant bickering with staff on the wards in camhs, even management joining in to be nasty. understaffed and underpaid. constantly mess up wages. staff not following correct mapa protocols. wouldn’t recommend anyone to work there

Pros

Cons

everything

Great trainig and career opportunities, for those who want them.

I worked for St Andrews healthcare from 2012 to 2019. Starting off as. Healthcare Assistant on the bank and then going full-time before being trained, accademic certification (paid for by St Andrews, and promoted) to a senior HCA, then as a mentor for new starters learning through work and then being promoted to Trainee Assistant Practitioner / Assistant Practitioner and had I stayed I bwpild have progressed under their ASPIRE program and become a Mental Health Nurse (again, funded by St Andrews Healthcare).The learning opportunities, and opportunities for career progression are second to none. The experiences of working in different settings, patient groups, was incredible. The hospital grounds provide a beautiful space for patients and staff, along with the facilities (Pool, gym, sauna, jacuzzi) and staff canteen with freshly made food. The only issue is inconsistent staffing levels and the questionable competence of bank / agency staff or staff who have worked their for longer periods of time who seem jaded, and reluctant to embrace service user focused initatives, which can often lead to greater workloads for regular staff as well as service user "incidents".If you have a good Ward manager / Duty Nurse / team on your shift. It can be one of the most rewarding jobs you will ever have. You'll make friends for life both in and out of the worknplave. If you have a weak team, and lack of leadership it can be one of the most stressful and potentially dangerous places to work, pending on your patient group. The once punitive occupational culture that once existed throughout -

Pros

Amazing training, and career progression opportunities, great medical library & resources, cycle to work scheme, 50% off Dominos collection, beautiful hosptial grounds

Cons

Long hours, high stress, often short staffed.

Great place to work with employees who care about what they are doing

Great place to work. Great Transformation team who care about their stakeholder groups and very caring staff members who care for patients.,...................

Pros

Great people and work life balance

Cons

Salary is not the greatest but ok

Stressful

Some managers were amazing and cared about staff well-being, others didn’t. The charity lost sight of its purpose and became money obsessed. I did not agree with charity changes and a lot of good experienced staff which made the environment safe left. Aggression towards staff hit a new high and was very badly injured from an attack.

Pros

Some staff in camhs were amazing

Cons

Staff safety and charity

Jobs at St Andrew's Healthcare

See more jobs

Awful place to work, if you turn up for the interview unfortunately you will probably end up with a job

Unqualified staff were great. Qualified staff constantly late to start shifts, quite often rude or ignore you, hours of close OBS, mostly boring shifts staff as disengaged as the patients.

Pros

Cons

Mind numbing

Wouldn't recommend

Stressful environment and dangerous as you will be sent to different wards with very little information about the patients on the wards even when you are permanent not bank employee. They will tell you there is possibility to go and study social work, but then they will never follow on that offer, when you ask about it. No possibility of career progression.

Pros

Cons

Low pay, below national average for same position, long hours, dangerous environment.

Awful.

You will be stuck on the same pay for yearsToo many clique’sManagement dont support youHca’s dont know what their doing Easy job but can be boringBeen here for many years and fed up now

Pros

Easy job

Cons

Long hours, no support

Stressful /bullying culture

Great to start with then the bullies started and although reported to ward manager nothing resolved.. patients by most are looked after well but some man handle and if you report it you get told to shut up or leave happened to me..

Pros

Free parking

Cons

Pay should be higher

Not a very nice place to work

They mess your wages to, management don’t cares for the work you do they pay is awful. There’s no support you get attacked and no one cares if your ok

Stressful environment

It’s a stressful environment with very little support, people are not appreciated for their skills and not paid accordingly. But a very good training hospital.

Pros

Free parking

Cons

Too many to mention

Undervalued, no care about staff morale.

To put it bluntly the people at the much higher positions have no understanding of how it is to be in a so-called clinical role. You have the hard workers on the front line who are compassionate and think with their hearts before minds. Then you have those above who have been paid to prioritise saving before quality. The BIGGEST issue in this establishment is the communication is below what is acceptable on an average scale! It's always Cloaks and daggers when they claim transparency and worst of all, they do not (I repeat) DO NOT include the staff members who are normally the centre of any improvements or development into ANY decision making. In short, best place to work at because of the front line hard working healthcare assistants and qualifieds. But that will soon be choked out of you once you realise you are only a nurse or a sub nurse and you're just a number like everyone else. Finally, the sexism and female degradation is beyond repair and has been for some time.

Pros

Best teams of nursing staff to work with.

Cons

Everything else starting and ending with management of all levels.

Stressfull

My time at St. Andrews was good to start with, I was on the bank and had plenty of work n areas I wanted. Over time with lots of changes I was placed on more volitile wards that I didn't want to work on. I felt unsafe and unsupported.

Pros

Choosing when I worked

Cons

Being placed in areas not happy with.

Good

I enjoyed my time there was hard and stressful at times and very challenging but was rewarding at the same time. But staff are underpaid and dont get any rewards for there good work

positive professional ward staff

good team effort, all colleagues really care about the patients and do everything they can to make life better for them. Best part is seeing patients get better and progress. Worst part is when they have "wobbles" and go back a step or two.

Pros

Good team mates.

Cons

not enough of them

Fantastic experience

Great team spirit on some wards, fast paced and no two days the same. Very special patients and a fabulous experience. Staff truly cared about patients and each other on the ward i mainly worked on. Not great pay but depends on role. Senior managers and the structural reorganisation saw some excellent people leave.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St Andrew's Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8