St Helena Hospice

St Helena Hospice Employee Reviews

The pay isn't amazing but the job is very satisfying as you know your efforts are going to a good cause and you get to work as part of an amazing caring team of colleagues.
Applied for that position, but actually I felt like a slave. Two year I heard only promises for pay rise and only lies. Estate and facilities management have not idea of properly maintenance. I was like multi trader with occupation maintenance assistant worked for 8 P/H. Don't recommend anyone to work for it. mmaintenance
as a volunteer role there's no wages but with great people and a friendly atmosphere it's always a fun place to be, the customers are friendly and like a chat, there's always something to do be it sorting donations or ironing to serving customers, it's a great place to build your retail and customer service experience or to give you something meaningful to fill your time and help a good charity, you'll make friend, have fun and learn lots working with St Helena in their /charity shops
Pros
Always a fun place and great people to work with
The people I worked with were amazing however the management was lacking - I knew people who had mental breakdowns because of the prowess of HR and management.
Lovely place to work. Nurses are very hard working and very committed. Kitchen staff can be great if you fit in. Very enjoyable job, people are really grateful for the services provided by all the staff. Working day very busy, but goes quickly. Kitchen needs updating but workable. Everybody helps each other, team work very important. For me the most important part of the job is serving the patient they re all so grateful .
Pros
Great people.
Cons
Face must fit.
I have enjoyed working for st Helena hospice Colchester because I have learnt new skills and meet new people and have become more confident in my self.
Patient care and support in the community, for hospice at home at St Helena hospice Colchester. The most enjoyable part of my day is giving care and support to patient's and their familys.
Pros
un socialable hours
Cons
patient care
Enjoyed my time working there as the other employed volunteers were all friendly and welcoming. I learned how to approach and deal with customer requests efficiently and effectively.
Very good company to work for and would recommend them to other people. I work in the books and coffee shop in Colchester and very much enjoy it and love working there.
I have enjoyed working with all types of people and have gained a lot of valuable experience. The training has helped me grow as an assistant nurse and given me a good understanding of working with people from all different backgrounds.
Pros
good training good pension good team
Cons
unsociable hours high milage on my car
Loved working at the Hospice, it was a shame that HR aren't getting more volunteers for the shop as the shops need more staff
Pros
Very Calming
I enjoyed volunteering at St. Helena Hospice but now I want to work for money. The staff were lovely and I greatly appreciated the opportunity.
Pros
Chance to come out of my shell
Cons
No Money
A typical day at work is a busy day, running around stock taking and seeing to the wonderful customers. I learnt to use the tills and manage the stock, sort through what's good to put on shelves and what's not good. The management is lovely and friendly, keeps you on your feet and always finds new stuff for you to do,treats the customer well and puts them first.. The co-workers are easy to get on with and friendly, always help the customers find what they are looking for.
Pros
meet new friendly people.
I have learned a great deal since starting. This includes undertaking a whole range of duties such as keeping the shelves clean and tidy and full of books, that have also been sorted to see if they are in good quality. In addition, I serve customers both on the book till and on the coffee till, in the latter case also helping to serve refreshments. I also go to the bank on occasions to pay in the earnings from previous days. I very much enjoy the managers I work with, who are generally very approachable, as well as the wonderful co-workers. The hardest part is sometimes the amount of customers to be served, which can be busy. Especially when only a few volunteers are working at a time. But I enjoy in particular the feeling of helping to support a widely known and supported hospice charity, by providing necessary funds to keep the charity going for as long as possible.
Pros
Excellent introduction into working face-to-face with customers in a fast pace envrionment.
Cons
The slightly differing styles between the managers.
I enjoyed the work greatly because I could work in a team or alone. I believe working here has improved my social skills because I can talk to most people of all ages. The most enjoyable part was talking to coworkers and customer. The hardest part of the job was when customers come in and spoke very little english.I learnt so much from working here because it was my first job and i learnt how to work the till, how to decide if a donated item is worth putting on shop floor or to bin it.
Pros
talkative staff and friendly managers
Cons
can be very difficult customers
job satisfaction good in all areas, managers listened to you,very dedicated co,workers,hardest part? going home!.feeling of helping people in need
Pros
flexable times
Working at St Helena hospice was a really nice place to work, the people were really friendly.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
not being paid