St Ives Harbour Hotel

St Ives Harbour Hotel Employee Reviews

United Kingdom17 reviews

Rewarding.

Very rewarding company for those who work hard and have a passion for the industry. If you want a career to pursue, Harbour will help with training and help progress you.

Pros

Bonuses

Cons

No parking

Bad place to work, bad practice's in place

Very bad place to work, really bad management, there's always a problem with the wages. Avoid this place if you can. There's no future in that place.

Fun work place

Approachable management, friendly staff, great views while working. Ability to progress within your role and extra shifts in other departments. Friendly atmosphere.

Pros

Staff food while on shift

Friendly staff, Amazing views while you’re working

Nice work atmosphere even in the busy periods, ability to progress within your work role and to pick up extra shifts in other departments.Approachable management.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Hours can be long at times

New Management

You could be put off, from reading some previous reviews however new management onboard since September have brought in new changes, positive morale, meals on duty, uniform, training given

Pros

Meals on duty, fantastic view

Cons

Rainy days

Worst company to work for - don’t do it!

The worst place to work, worst company to work for. I chased a months pay for 6 months no apology, nothing! They don’t care about staff, only about money. Management are unresponsive and again, could not care less. The job description is a joke as well - “free meals” just chips and greasy breakfast left overs every day, always late. “Unique training” means no training at all. “Stylish uniform” I never got mine. There’s also two points in the description that are the same but just worded differently, relating to progression which also, untrue.

Please avoid

I worked at this hotel for years and found it very stressful.Management have favourites and don’t look after their staff and are also liars. There was not much training and you were just left to get on with it. Certain staff were lovely but others were horrible. I was bullied to. So if you want a job that is very, very stressful, no training, bullied and poor management than this is the job for you. But please take it from me please avoid.

Pros

Cons

Everything especially poor management.

Learned alot

I had to learn new computer systems I.E. order online and all other kitchen systems were online. I build a fun, hard working and reliable core team. We were going to build a 2 rosette kitchen but due to covit-19 we got halted.

Yes. Good questions

Good people there. If you want to keep fit this is the place for you. I walked miles during the 4 hour shift!! Good views from the restaurant. Isn't that enough!

Manipulative management

Management bullied members of staff, very corrupt and unprofessional. Lack of appreciation of their staff, and expectations of working above and beyond the job roll for no appreciation at all. Not the best place to work when you want to go to work happy.

Pros

Free lunch, that’s it!

Cons

Excessive over time, lack of good management, bullying in the workplace, corrupt management

Beautiful Hotel

This is a stunning hotel in St Ives Beautiful setting to work in. Was in the course of being refurbished when I worked there years ago but once completed it was gorgeous. Always very busy with guests

Overall, it's a nice place to work, everyone is lovely and make you feel welcome quickly. The only problem I had was transport, as I live quite far away from St Ives.

Receptionist

Here, I work independently most days as the main hotels receptionist, other than the usual checking in and checking out of guests there is a lot of paperwork and system work to get through the day. I enjoy the constant variety in my job as every day is different!

Pros

Free food, people

Cons

Management, pay

Good work place

I have had a good career with this hotel, I have ran wedding and restaurant in my time at this hotel. I am now looking to gain a new career. I am a fun and outgoing person

Occasionally pleasent

Fast paced breakfast service and a more relaxed/formal evening dining environment made harder by poor management

Pros

cheap living-in cost

Cons

poor management

Good experience-improved my housekeeping skills but not a good hotel to work for

A typical day at work would be that I would start at 9 30 am, I would receive my timesheet for the day with the allocated rooms that I had to clean. I would have on average 12 rooms a day. Each room had either a single/double or king size bed and a bathroom, we would have to make the bed with clean linen, dust and clean the entire room and clean the bathroom. I would then hoover when I had finished with this. Our rooms would also be double checked after we had cleaned them. I would have lunch at 12pm and then carry on with the rest of my rooms if I had not finished-we had 20 minutes for a stay and 40 minutes for a departure/arrival. I would usually finish a departure/arrival in about half an hour-depending on the state of it and how big it was but not more than 40 minutes. When I was finished with my rooms I would help with the other co workers and help them with their rooms or hoover the corriders and clean the public areas. I would finish at about 3 everyday. There was a lot of favouritism amongst the co workers and management and I found that some co workers were treated differently to others which I didn't find fair. There was no communication amongst the staff and management and would sometimes just have to use my initiative in some situations which made it quite stressful. The hardest part of the job was not having the tools for the job-we were given hoovers that were half broken and hard to operate and there was never any stock which reflected bad on the co workers but wasn't our fault as management was supposed to order stock and have control of this. The most enjoyable -

Pros

Good experience

Cons

Physical tiring work

Typical day at work

I worked over the summer I started normally at 9 and finished about 3-4. Because I'm not english my communication skills improved.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St Ives Harbour Hotel. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8
2.7

St Ives Harbour Hotel Reviews by Location

• St Ives Harbour Hotel
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?