St John Ambulance

United Kingdom367 reviews

Insights into St John Ambulance

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

A good job made bad

The company and what it stands for cannot be faulted. Unfortunately as with most jobs, the management don’t take on board ideas or listen to staff who deal with the day to day running of the shifts. The first few months were amazing, i was happy and proud to work for the company. Then new management came in and this was a main reason for me wanting to go. The management do not allow us to complete our job to our full potential, making us ask permission to change shifts. You would think they would want happy crew, it seems they are intent on making everyone miserable. There is no room for error. You have a day off sick and get a month overtime ban as punishment, this does not apply to all bases due to staffing levels otherwise the contracts would never be covered. The environment is very toxic. The job is stressful and you spend 12hrs at a desk. The one good thing that has come of this and the one thing that’s kept me going are the crew and my team.

Pros

Colleagues

Management are awful

I worked out of Bicester base and thoroughly enjoyed the training (all be it the instructor that joined us on week 3 onwards was up his own back side) . If you want a job where you get paid awful, not the right amount and not get back your expenses then join. Also if you need any help from the manager, don’t bother, they only get back to you once you email with a word that scares them like “stress” or “feeling neglected” . Once the management do get back to you, they phone you and speak to you like you’re thick. Absolute shambles of a company. It’s a shame because I’ve always wanted to “give back” and apply my caring skills in peoples times or crisis.

Management lie and dont listen

Management dont listen to what has been told to them. Very clicky between management and crew members. Atmosphere in rest room when management is around is like your walking on egg shells.

Pros

Crew mates.

Cons

Management lie.

Colleagues, although most have gone to NWAS now.

Management are terrible, they change the rules to suit and expect crews to attend category 1 and 2 calls with very little training. If you disagree with anything, they will get you out. They recently lost at least 10 EACs due to terrible management

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

No backing from Management, Lack of communication, Shifts change overnight due to lack of communication in office, Staff turn around is high, terrible place to work.

Enjoyable and get along with everyone

I don't work here but volunteer as a first aider with many other uni students in the medical field. relaxed environment and get along with nearly everyone. Also very rewarding. only cons are management who are in general appalling. have to email 100x to get back. and the odd person who is a first aider or similar who can act slightly arrogantly. This is rare though and everyone is very friendly, welcoming and always willing to help.

Pros

Free lunches and football matches!

Cons

Good work life balance great colleagues

It can be stressful due to the type of work and some of the environments you are asked to work in. Support is always available. Managers I have are very understanding and helpful

Kind friendly workplace

I really enjoyed working with staff and middle management but higher management and director level had no idea what was going on ‘at ground level’ and set unrealistic goals and objectives. Job security is none existent as the company restructure every 12-18 months.

Trainer - Challenging at times but supportive

I was a Trainer in the Stockport area. Received nothing but support and advise throughout. Line management were fantastic and helped me to put a development plan in place to advance my career. You get what you give in this job. If you put the effort in they will invest in your future.

Good healthy work environment with honest friendly people

Enjoyed working with practically every colleague. People are helpful and friendly and do will always do alot to help. Was able to meet countless new people and all were very grateful for the service. This really helped with my work ethic and motivation to help others.

Pros

Free lunches Very flexible Non toxic work environment

Cons

Pay is non existent (Voluntary)

Fun working place, you get to learn a lot of things

Nice place to work, good and friendly people. A very good example of work life balance, though pay is low compared to the volume of work done. But in all, I have enjoyed working at SJA.

Pros

Work from home

Good place to work.

I thoroughly enjoy the day to day job role I have and my direct manager is a delight. I do sometimes struggle to comprehend the communications sent from higher level management as it seems they do not understand the scope of trainers job roles/ hours we actually work fully.

Not a bad place to work, very friendly company. Bu the pay is rubbish and the management are too soft. They are now losing long standing contracts due to poor management.

Pros

Go home knowing you've made a difference

Cons

Poor pay, bad management.

Good place to Learn

Most jobs are filled by volunteers even the managers unless you have a contract. Courses are available with certificates and a good place to make many friends.

Pros

Friends, free training, expenses paid

Cons

Lot of computer work

company is a disgrace to work for Underapperiated

Bad management Mangers not having a clue all about policy’s procedures not about the employee Leave clients in vanuable state to save money Can honestly say worse company I’ve ever worked for in so many ways ADVOID if you can Better treated else where Pay is a disgrace no line working in place and managers don’t have a clue

Different, not a 9 to 5 job lots of experience dealing with the public and helping those in need

Started off well, looked after by management no two days the same which was exciting but new management and policies come in and things turned south bulling and expecting too much and no staff care more interested in bums on seatsnow very poor management

Pros

helping those in need something different every day feel as if making a difference in peoples lives

Cons

expected to work way over your hours very poor management poor working conditions

SJA is a charity no it’s not it’s a business.

I enjoyed my time at SJA I had one good manager and good staff members but the overall Managment up the top are gormless and have no morals. They have the wrong people in the wrong positions of power who frankly need to be sacked. While the WPT sadly get dumped on to keep the ship running but never get praised for there hard work especially through the pandemic. Sadly another charity taken by greed on the outside they look lovely but the managers especially the head of training and delivery etc should be changed and whomever they get need empathy and soul! Plus have a genuine interest in staffs development and what skills they hold. They don’t care on what you have to offer and it’s very much if your face fits you get what you want! Sadly this is what SJA has become.

Pros

Some staff members.

Cons

Travel/ long hours, Managers lack of compassion, empathy and how to do there job on all levels. Confidence in high level Managment, Discipline of staff and salary.

Great place to work for, good trainers and teams, very rewarding

Fast paced and under pressure they will train you to a T. Constantly learning and revising to make yourself competent and give you confidence. I was with a volunteer group so I didn't get paid. I also had issues with the uniform being uncomfortable and restrictive but if you have your own through a paid service it may be a lot better.Highly rewarding job to do and recommend it to anyone looking for self satisfaction who can work under pressure.

Pros

Lovely people, free lunches, able to sit in for free in concerts and matches, good training.

Cons

Unpaid (for me), not as job secure because you're reassessed every year, uniform was uncomfortable for me personally

Frustrating

This could be such a better job, if only for two things - salary - management team Salary is very low for the responsibility and skill base you need to perform the role and when questioned the corporate answer is “This is a charity, not the private sector” The whole organisation is extremely “clicky” Who knows who… who’s been here the longest, and therefore who’s likely to get the courses, roles and progression Can be very repetitive, no emphasis on personal development Other similar roles with other organisations would offer better career prospects

Pros

Cild

Cons

Repetitive - Management - Salary

Supportive of work and home life balanceand inclusive

SJA are possibly the best employer i have had in terms of recognising and actively supporting us to maintain that all important work and home life balance. We aren't just employees, we are parents, partners and siblings and SJA management are fully supportive of this. The level of support in relation to the job itself is outstanding, i cannot commend the culture SJA have enough.

Pros

flexible

Cons

Temporary contract, unsure of this will be extended again.

Amazing job...let down by poor pay

Great to work with amazing crew, poor management and pay. Had to submit own working hours even though you had to clock in and out, shift patterns meant that you worked close to minimum 11 hour ago between shifts.

Lost its way

Very insular organisation Lots of empty meetings that lead to nowhere Don’t feel like you are challenged or have a sense of purpose Training even when asked for is rejected Lots of money wasted which is a real shame given it’s a charity and want people to support

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Being part of this organisation holds back your development

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St John Ambulance. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement