St Mungo's

United Kingdom84 reviews

Insights into St Mungo's

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

Stressful but can be very rewarding

Mungo's isn't for profit, but they do require funding from councils (through housing benefits etc) to cover cost of accommodation. Universal credit, housing benefit etc more than adequately cover all costs (and they only pay when they receive this money). There are aspects not funded by councils and that is where the fundraising is required. So, if someone doesn't pay their service charge or rent, they can afford to do so but have chosen not to. Work can be precarious as a council may not renew their contract with mungos.There are some really fantastic diversity and inclusivity policies in place but they often seem more theoretical than in practice. E.g., you can be a member of a diversity network and attend events but normally there is something far too urgent going on at work for you to attend (e.g. 999 required) and not enough staff cover. From what I have seen, it takes too long for management to get involved in issues, such as excluding/ evicting clients who racially abuse staff or get into fights. On paper they say they have no tolerance but it takes several incidents for things to happen. Health & safety policies are often just for paper and are actually completely impractical. The job is stressful and sometimes management gaslight you and say you can't handle the work rather than recognise that several staff members go off sick with stress. However, it can be incredibly rewarding and meaningful work. We get paid the best in the industry company with LookAhead etc.), however, we have a genuine cost of living crisis so you essentially get a pay cut through inflation. -

Pros

Progressive diversity & inclusion policies, rewarding & meaningful work, culture depends on the specific centre

Cons

A lot of stress and a big workload, not enough staff, and policies don't reflect reality.

Great place to learn and develop

In this organisation there is always scope to explore new areas and increase skills. The learning, development and support from Colleagues is brilliant. This staff commitment to peer support makes it a great place to work.

Good work location and resources. Overwork, low pay and less progression.

Doing good in Supportive the homeless but not much to staff. Good work location at Head Office and resources. Overwork, low pay and no progression in some departments. Some biaseness towards BAME progression and personal development by some managers which is mostly covered up with excuses. Not all policies of discrimination is properly followed by senior management.

Pros

Location is good, some departments are more supportive. Helping the homeless

Cons

No support for progression and development in my team, some form of business and discrimination.

The key element to any successful organisation and business are ‘people’. And they have it in abundance.

Wonderful place to work for especially as it’s helping with all forms of homelessness issues and rough sleepers in providing shelter and housing as well as wide range of other support, guidance and help.

Stressful, challenging and can be even dangerous.

Worked many years as project worker in various teams, experienced high levels of stress. Need to be very focus. Lot of preassure on staff who are overworked. Seems to have a culture of disciplinig staff while clients get their way and gets difficult to implement boundaries previously discussed in team meetings.Very strict HR department that don't seem to understand how stressful the job is. Directors and senior managment on very high wages.

Pros

Lots of training and development opportunities available Mostly staff are nice, if not, the job becomes a nightmare!

Cons

Very challenging and extremely stressful, unsupportive managers, unrealistic targets, multiple demands from clients, managers and external agencies. Emotionaally draining. Risk to own wellbeing, dangerous and serious incidents.

Tough to obtain targets

This is very difficult and challenging work. Great team work but the general public as a general rule tend to look down upon paid Charity fundraisers. We are avoided or looked down on or pittied generally

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Targets

Enjoyed my location and my coworkers/management immensely

The job was clear and was rewarding. It allowed for some flexibility which I liked and I was helping those in need. I feel the pay could be more but besides that it was a good job experience overall.

Pros

Great coworkers/ Environment

Cons

Pay could be hired

Fantastic Management Bournemouth Independent living service

This is a great place to work.The Manager of Housing first and independent living setting goes above and beyond for her staff both manager and line manager.Brilliant pay you won't get better in the area.Only leaving due to family circumstances Set shifts, amazing holiday benifits

Pros

Management/Pay

Good team, good training and learning opportunities. I enjoyed my time there and learnt a lot. Other staff knew what they were doing and were dedicated and efficient.

Everythink fine

I lovet this people Who working its good people. Jobs its fine its little hard but it the posible working.Lovet this time in the mungos. Days its always same start to kitchen help breakfast doing V, late go cleaning everithink.Soametimes if people livet mungos go cleaning room and do everithink fresh for new people. :)

Pros

Fine

Cons

Nothink

Good culture

Inclusive and diverse. Understanding of work life balance. Varied types of work. Dynamic and responsive to changing needs. Client focused. Co creation of projects.

Rewarding, pressurised but exciting too

I was a volunteer with the hope of completing three months before gaining paid employment but then COVID-19 hit and everything came to a halt. During my brief time a regular day would be helping homeless individuals gain Universal Credit, advising them of their options, calling hubs to see if they had a place, working quickly and effectively as part of a two person team to locate individuals in order to get them into a hub before it closed. It was a lot of pressure but extremely rewarding. It could also be frustrating.

Pros

Coffee

Cons

Very early starts. 4am rise 3pm finish.

Productive and fun

I enjoyed working at St Mungos, the staff and management are very friendly and helpful. A good atmosphere everyone friendly and helpful and happy.New building good location by river Thames. Lots of new buildings around there and loads of office good transportation

Pros

Free tea and coffee

Overworked and unsupported

Care about the clients but not the staff. Happy to work staff to the bone. Exhausting work. Awful job. Don't work for them. Feel trapped and completely unsupported Gaslighted when raised concerns about the safety of staff and being overworked. Senior management zero ability to reflect on poor practice. Total shitshow

Pros

Cons

Appalling lack of support

A good place to work and make an impact - although I was asked to deliver a very ...

Working with and to executive director of finance ... A good place to work and make a positive impact - although I was tasked to deliver a very large brief in a very short term including delivering and presenting: 1- a procurement strategy, future planning, centre of excellence materials and tool kits and capability plan 3- a few very last minutes critical contracts and procurement to be managed 4- some operational procurement, purchasing and accounts payable finances related to it I had little resources and support for this which was a con perahps. So good place - but a very big ambitious brief; although with changes in management due to a turn around in executive level ...my recommendations and overall strategy were not accepted...they may have changed and moved forward now...so check please. A very good executive / management team who were open to accepting advice on day to day operational contracts and procurement ...and a trusting collaborative environment, with a lot of autonomy in getting things done. A nice central London based office and environment with food and amenities close by. A very hard working and keen team - teams...who really wanted to make a difference in the lives of homeless people. Result orientated. A very good work life balance - and partial work from home options was available to me.

Pros

As above

Cons

As above

You need to be lucky re local management

I was based in Haringey. I had an excellent deputy. The service manager was incompetent and harmful towards staff due to very poor decision making. The deputy was doing it all and I’d be surprised if she’s still standing. It could have been a great team, but not with the person in charge of the service lacking competence in every single area. How did he even get a job? I complained upon leaving and hesrd nothing back!

Pros

There’s always work and shifts to suit

Cons

You’re very dependent on local manager being decent!

This is not a charity its business that makes money from the homeless

I have a very personal dealing with St Mungos and my experience has been supported by many other examples. This is not a charity ii its purest from it may have charity status but it runs its hostels on a profit basis. I had a friend who became homeless and i use to visit him at the Wharton street central London facility, block of small rooms. In one of the rooms there was a 63 year old man who had been part of the council as a street sweeper for islington council specifically Chappell market. He had become homeless and suffered from addiction he had been in the St Mungo facility for over a year and slowly fallen into arrears for his room. He was evicted without virtually any notice and eneded up living in the bin storage at the side of chappell market he lived there for a year till another proper homeless charity finally stepped in. This man was frail, old and needed help...never mind that he had worked his whole life for islington council. St Mungos literally threw him back out on the streets because of about £700 arrears. Please do not donate to these villians.

Productive and Fun

A good place to work. Easy access for all with adequate security checks. Free unlimited drinks of tea/water. There's the opportunity to work from home. Good work colleagues and lots of extra-curricula activities.

Long hours, stressful job

Unsocial hours in difficult stressful environment Lack of support from some members of management Felt unsafe at times due to number of chaotic clients

Good job satisfaction, but can be hard hitting

Good job satisfaction, but hard hitting at times. Each day is unpredictable. A positive of this is that you can plan your own diary and manage your own workload as you choose, but you have to be resilient and flexible in your approach, as priorities often change without any notice and you regularly find yourself dealing with difficult situations which can be hard to deal wit if you do not have good support systems in place. But the job satisfaction is high as you meet some great individuals and you can see that your role is having a positive impact on peoples lives.

Challenging

It has a shelf life. Be prepared to take some verbal abuse and see people in a vulnerable and sometimes upsetting condition. The job can be fulfilling but you need thick skin, empathy and want to help people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St Mungo's. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement