St. Mary's University

St. Mary's University Employee Reviews

United Kingdom31 reviews

placeworkpeoplelotenvironmentuniversityjobtime

Great

Great place to work great staff meals in canteen great staff benefit and great facilities team. Really enjoyed my stay as a contractor for solsbury solutions

Ideal place for teachiing and learning

I love teaching and learning and St. Mary's University is the ideal place for that. I feel supported, valued and included. The lessons with my students are dynamic, energizing and very enjoyable. I also like the teacher training sessions, which I find instructive and empowering. The relationship with my managers is friendly and professional.

Insights into St. Mary's University

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things

Very bad

Yes very bad management I don’t know what’s happening in there, they should get better the education system isn’t good, I don’t advise you to work or to study over there

Productive and Fun

St Mary's is a great place to work at. I've very much enjoyed my time there. The team was very supportive and inclusive. The campus is beautiful with lots of greenery areas, which is great for a midday walk. Personally, it feels great to be excited in the morning to go into work. The schedule at the university is also very flexible, which makes it easy to have a balance work life.

Enjoyable and fast-paced environment for passionate employees

St Mary's is rapidly growing providing many opportunities to grow and develop. Promotions are given quite often in recognition of outstanding workers. Staff benefits are provided that are suitable for everyone and the campus is in the heart of the town with easy access to transport and sights to see including Strawberry Hill House next door!

Pros

Discounted lunches, core location, development opportunity

Horrible environment, management and workplace

Started off well, but after 5 years of being overlooked, disrespected, disregarded and given no recognition for my work, I would not recommend this place to anyone with self respect, pride or a good demeanor, as you will lose all of them They don't care about their staff, even though we have risked a lot over the past 2 years to keep the place running.Basically is you don't mind being undermined, talked down to, being talked about behind your back and missing time with family, this is the place for you.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Horrible management, two faced colleagues, treated like a number, not a person, you don't matter.

Awful place, avoid, avoid, avoid

Awful place, avoid, avoid, avoid. Very unprofessional, lacks integrity & transparency of management and some employees. Consider yourself luck to get our from this place alive with your mental health intact.

Cons

Horrible place to work. Friends and family sitting in the cleaning management team and bullying and harassing lower staff.

This is not nice place to work. It is toxic and hostile working environment, without any working ethic.Senior staff acting in disrespectful manner towards the cleaners, and covering each other’s back.No care for staff, no help from HR.Would not ever work for them again.

Pros

N/a

Cons

Harassment, discrimination and bullying

Full of cronysm and incompetence

Corrupt environment, full of cronysm and sheer incompetence driven by a gangster-like group of people with no consideration of St Mary's values and ethos.Hopefully the new VC will steer the University clear from that doomed path.

Pros

Operational staff that make the place works

Cons

Incompetence at senior as too busy playing politics

Lack of care for staff and horrible working environment

The cleaning manager has completely destroyed the housekeeping team and has treated the staff so appallingly that a huge amount have left or are off sick. No one in HR or senior management have helped the staff despite being shown evidence of her aggressive manor, lies and bullying but have allowed her to continue to bully and harass staff. Not a nice place to work at! Avoid!!

Pros

There are none.

Cons

The manager is not only incompetent, but also a liar and a homophobic bully. Corruption is rife there.

Should come with a public health warning!!

I have worked at St. Mary's twice now with the housekeeping team. The first time back in 2010 was an amazing experience and really well led by one of the best managers I have ever worked for. Unfortunately this time around I wasn't met with the same grace. The whole place has been corrupted by a group of small minded bullying, homophobic racists. Which start at the very top all the way to the HR department. Every single member of the amazing team that were once very present at St. Mary's have now been either bullied out of their positions or sacked for unfair targets! Do not work for this place if you value your sanity.

Pros

Cons

Too many to list

WAS great

Was a fantastic place to work until they hired a bully for a manager she abused me made 8 staff quit is homophobic and racist and encourages people to speak Spanish in front of English work colleagues which I find rude if she was to go the place would be brilliant again

Pros

Fantastic job was friendly and nice work environment

Cons

Santan as a manager

Great place great students

Staff are stuck in the ark need change to move forward as a business and stop living in the past found the students that work there care more about There job it than the staff smoking every 30 minutes and not caring about what is produced !

Pros

Easy working day

Cons

Staff think there in charge

Wonderful Staff Members

Despite struggling financially, the University is staffed with really wonderful people that care about the institution and the welbeing of their peers.

Pros

Friendly and supportive work environment

Cons

low pay

Would not recommend

Management was poor and there was little support for personal or professional development. The culture was old fashioned and it hadn't caught up.with other universities in terms of opportunities, HR functions or culture.

Pros

Small campus meant you knew lots of people

Cons

Really poor management

Fast pace environment with lots of change happening

Excellent Head of Estates. Hard working environment where a lot of activities needed doing quickly so not much time to plan the week ahead, if you managed to set out your day you were doing well.

Productive and fun workplace

logging jobs for facilities team, completing purchase orders, ordering materials and booking external contractors. Learnt a lot about maintenance issues

good

it doesnt make sense for me to write a review like this for St Mary's because i was not paid to do a job per say. I ran a couple of societies and club so this review is pointless and a waste of time.

Hierarchical and fear based institution

Hierarchical and fear based institution. Political games, departmental division and rife bullying. In my time here most people with any talent and prospect would leave.

Productive place to work in

A very professional environment and people development environment. Friendly people and safe environment to work in. Very close to transportation services e.g. train station is only a few minutes away from site and lots of bus stations. Working hours are very flexible although there is no flexi hours. There is a huge staff canteen with discounted meals for all members of staff. Very conducive environment and very close to shops and shopping centres within the Twickenham area and minutes away from Thames river as well. There is job security and members of staff are very welcoming and willing to assist should there be a need for it. There is an open door policy to the FD and to the Chief finance officer where staff can approach them for anything should there be any need for it.

Pros

Discounted lunches

Cons

Normal hours

Productive and Rewarding Workplace

A typical day at work would vary from day to day depending on any events that might have been taking place. In the morning I would go into the deputy chaplains office and we would discuss the objectives for that day, whether it be inventory, setting up for mass, or other events, organising, etc. I learned a lot about things that have to go on behind the scenes just for basic things and events to take place.

Pros

Free Lunches and rewarding for personal faith

Cons

job changes day to day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Mary's University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement