Stagecoach

United Kingdom1,249 reviews

Found 1,249 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,277 reviews
busrotadriverunsociablepassengerdepotpatterndriving

It is what you make it!

Enjoyable job, frustrating public and other literally cannot drive. Feels a bit big brother at times they are always watching you. Keep your self clean and head down knuckle on no probs.Oh…. No room for progression. Feels like need to be sleeping with xyz to get higher up.

Good place to work was given plenty of time to learn the routes .the staff there were very helpful and the management were good and fair. Plenty of different shifts to do and swaps if you needed them.

Insights into Stagecoach

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Sense of belonging
  • Time and location flexibility

Avoid

Pros; weekly pay, job security, free public transport passCons; management talk to you and treat you like rubbish, barely get time off when you ask, strict and tight running times, lack of toilet facilities, change shifts without asking, allocated holiday blocks (you can't take them when you'd like to, they tell you when you can have holidays), they train you up then look for everyday possible to discipline you just to sack you! They very rarely back their drivers, even when the driver is right they still find the driver guilty for something else instead. Many many more things, but I'd be here all day listing them.

Pros

weekly pay, job security, free public transport pass

Cons

Long hours, lack of running time, allocated holidays

Don't do it

Very bad place to work management are bully's, no support everything is your fault, If you appeal a disaplinary you never get anywhere, union is in there pocket as reps are employed by stagecoach, pay reviews are a joke as they always plead povertyBasically you are poorly treated and undervalued for what you have to put up with

Long hours and shifts that negatively effect your life.

The reality is that driving a bus or coach, is a very very very stressful environment. Watched by all the onboard cameras, the gps box of tricks for vehicle movement. Customers watching, and of course all the other road users, where a majority seem to think the bus is just in their way.... If its a coach, you also have tachograph rules and regs as well... Do this, whilst on a 6 day on 2 days off shift pattern.. and for most it will eventually, sooner or later, burn you out.Honestly imagine that if it was a part time gig, its likely not that bad.. but avg working"week" is between 55 and 60 hours of work time. (note, not paid for lunch).... thats like doing a full time job, and a part time on top as well.Not much more to say really. The pay is fair. The management, depends on the individual etc. The company views? they are just the same as any big company with shareholders, they are trying to keep everyone pleased and keep growing etc.Overall, if you think its for you, take off the blinkers, and give it a go. But do go in fully aware of what the role really is, and think hard of what the shifts will do to your sleep, health, relationships etc.. Maybe the job will work for you?

Pros

free bus travel.

Cons

Changing shifts almost daily, unpaid meal breaks, 6 days on 2 off pattern...

Unreliable services

The manager needs Sacking as Buses are not turning up here and there and this is a regular thing.They soon take the money for your weekly ticket but then don't turn up due to Cancellation on every service due to low pay given to there drivers.Get the service sorted and stop this pathetic buses going by stating we remember we a service that runs not a service that provides pathetic things

Pros

Cons

Pathetic service

Pointless exercise

Was a trainee driver, was told the training was 2 to 3 weeks driver training before test however I received less than 4 days training which was 12 hours training then put to a test I knew I was going to fail I had no choice in the issue I then got my 2nd retest over a week later i was suppose to be out the following week for training but only got 2.5 hours extra training whereas most of the people during my induction had over 2 weeks training every day. I was giving lots of time for the theory, hazard, case study and mod 4 which were aced, but the practical was few and far between, can't fault the instructors they are brilliant and know there stuff I learned so much from them in the little time I was giving, but they are over stretched with new trainess, stagecoach training should be the same for all trainess not more training for some and less for others. Can't lie I was gutted throughout my training knowing I wasn't getting as much hours as the rest the day before my test I was already applying for other jobs as I knew what the outcome would be overall was a pointless exercise. All the drivers seem like good people and we're rooting for you to do good. 2nd fail out the door unemployed be sure you don't get the short straw for training

Constant battle with managers

Not a great work life balance, everything is usually your fault and management don’t support you unless you’ve got children don’t expect to get the hours you need

Nightmare duties and shifts are ridiculous

Pretty much one of the worst unorganised jobs I’ve ever done, all drivers are drained under pressure constantly, have no quality time for family life until long weekend by this time your too exhausted to do anything.Stagecoach has gone backwards instead forwards treating employees disrespectful with pay rise offers of 5% which is 15% below average, shameful from the very top. Let’s hope the new owners address this and have some respect for the bus drivers.

Pros

Drive a 10 tonne 40ft long bus

Cons

Terrible duties and shifts

Boring

Boring, hated by most, they think a pay rise of 25p per hour is loads and the union that works for the company. Poorly maintained vehicles, more interested in repainting buses in the new colours than paying staff or repairing bus defects. Many defects are just ok’d everyday by the office, nothing really stops them unless they catch fire. Constant bridge warning messages quite loud in your ear to go along with the bangs and rattles even though you’re on a route and haven’t deviated. Probably need this system as they’re struggling to replace staff and have to accept anyone who walks onto the bus or into the depot, can be quite embarrassing seeing or hearing what another driver has done when you’re on your break!

Independent job

If you like to work independently then this is the job for you, although at times it could get very stressful I enjoyed the pace and how time used to fly by. Overtime always available.

Ok

Long hours overworked training is good though they do make sure u know all the routes and take out with other drivers but tye long hours and routes are stressfull

Stressful and no work life balance

The job is stressful and there’s very little work life balance. Passengers are continuously disrespectful which makes the drivers life incredibly hard. Everything is a bus drivers fault. However the staff are supportive and always willing to help .

Pros

Free bus travel

Not that bad

I enjoyed my time there, great people and management, never had a problem. I worked there as a bus driver and enjoyed every moment of it. Pay is okay.

Pros

Work/life balance

Cons

Can't think of any.

Productive and fun place

Great working environment. Supportive management. Great colleagues.Flexible rotas.Good training.Can be a bit chilly in the winter.Overall good place to work.

Was good to start with

Pay isn’t enough to live on anymore and you’re just a number, no air con/heating when its needed, poor management, the only good thing I can say about working here is the vast majority of your colleagues are decent but its a revolving door people come people go

Bad shifts

If you have children or a partner. This job will put a strain on your relationship. Had me doing nine days in a row without day off . Just keeping it inside the regulations.

A company managed by Numpties and supervised by backstabbers

Round Two of working for this company and the management style continues to be based on indirect threats by senior management playing off supervisors that are nothing more than scared frightened jobsworths who won't take responsibility for themselves let alone those under them.The reason for such a high turnover of drivers is simply down to mismanagement and burnout of drivers being made to work rest days and holidays....

Pros

Restricted 'free' travel

Cons

Bad management, disrespect for their staff !!!

Basic driving

Generally good company to work for. Some routes are impossible to keep to time. Breaks added to shifts make a long day even longer. Good to just be out on your own driving and meeting people.

Poor pay and stressful job

The people who make the company are the employees. The management is really poor and you are under paid for the amount of abuse you have to put up with from passengers. There is no support from managers and your mental welfare takes a battering. You are worked into the ground and you are so tired on your days off you only want to sleep

No work life balance

Job is very stressful, trying to deal with difficult passengers whilst keeping to a schedule is hard work.The shifts are all over the place, as are your days off, no overtime rate for any extra hours either.If you finish late you need to fill in a big form just to be paid for the extra minutes.Definitely not a job if you have a social life or kids

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stagecoach. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Stagecoach with

Learn about Stagecoach in popular locations

• Stagecoach