Starbucks

• Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Fair pay for job

Stressful at times

Takes around a month to train. Sometimes faced understaffing issues causing more stress. Either get along well with staff or not. Plus is free drink on shift and 50% food on shift.

Low pay and no free food on break

The pay is astonishingly low considering how large a company it is. Expected to pay for overpriced food on lunch break, and there is also a limit to how many drinks you are allowed on shift. Would recommend working at an independent coffee shop instead if possible as they usually value their staff more.

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Bad pay

Senior management disrespectful and store management hostile

Was really excited to start at this job but soon found that the hours were not flexible for a student in the store i worked in. The supervisor and management in my store were horrendous. Organised- but did not treat people very nicely. Quite often invoked fear in myself and other members of staff. Was a good worker however would receive a lot of lectures. Was always shamed and called out for mistakes however no praise given when things had been done right which was majority of the time. Shame because the job itself was fun

Awful

I hated working at starbucks so much. The manger was awful to me and made me feel stupid constantly. This also was the same for one of the supervisors. I wouldn’t recommend working here and it’s not worth it at all for the pay. However, it is not under a new manager who i believe is much nicer.

Fast-paced but stressful

Fast-paced with lots of multitasking, can be easily overwhelming. Making the drinks is the only fun part, the rest of the time is cleaning which involves the same tasks every shift so can become very boring very fast. Free drinks on shift.

Stressful always worried about what managers would say.

Was nice at first but when you’ve been there for a while it got stressful never enjoy walking into work I just know what the work day is gonna be like

Pros

Free drink

Cons

Long hours (10-11 he shifts)

Bad work environment, but decent benefits

The work environment is awful, even with a good store manager. It's chaotic, unorganised, and corporate doesn't care about its employees. I worked there for six years, mostly through university, so the benefits of a 401k are helpful.

Pros

401k/pensino

Cons

Poor work/life balance

Buen entorno laboral

Volvería a trabajar en Starbucks de Tower Hill. Un lugar para aprender y desarrollarse laboralmente.

Fast paced workplace

A fast-paced workplace, good multitasking and time management skills are needed. A typical day at work involves taking orders, making drinks, cleaning and washing up. The workplace culture is quite positive. The hardest part of the job is rude, entitled customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is making the drinks.

Pros

Free drinks, half price on food

Cons

Bad work life balance

Fun job

Fun job when under the right management. Can be interesting and has decent progression opportunities. Euro garages in particular care very little about there staff.

It’s ok

I really enjoyed working there for the first 3 or 4 months. But it gets very stressful and mind numbing very quickly. Luckily I had the most lovely manager and he’s helped me change my hours and shift patterns to suit my needs, I love the team I work with, my favourite part about the job. After 5 months I found it so mentally draining and stressful I couldn’t cope. I cut down my hours significantly but it doesn’t really help that much with the work you do and the amount you get paid . You’re expected to do a lot with earning so little. I’d recommend working there if you were thinking of just a weekend job but nothing more really, it’s not worth it. Most of people I work with find it too mentally challenging, it’s just not worth the ‘benefits’ of the job. No reflection on my manager or colleagues tho, absolutely lovely people.

Pros

Free drinks, co-workers

Cons

Mentally draining, very stressful

Management was the main disappointment.

I would recommend to work there but be careful with management and team or at least give yourself a time to observe. I enjoyed supervising when I had good shifts, but overall it was very stressful and it was affecting my health.

Poor management, stressful and no progression

Very stressful job with management who don’t care. No support offered. Progression is promised, but never delivered.Customer facing job with poor training.

Barista

I was excited to work as a barista, and loved everything about Starbucks, while I was a customer. But then you realize that you need to work like a robot, multitasking, like on the line, sometimes you don't have a chance to drink water, customers are been rought and all that for minimum wage

Dead end

Well to begin with they will most likely give you a 32 hour contract and make you work short shifts so you cover the whole week with a day off, 2 if you get lucky.Work-life balance near 0 because everyone will pester you with messages on your days off, salary is good for baristas starting at 10.10 but the supervisor pay is a joke for pretty much running the store. I got lucky and had a good SM but I worked in many stores and they're nowhere near as nice. Chances of advancement are low. Once you go supervisor they're not gonna bother to help you go above even if you ask for training. Dead end job, good for students and under 18s, hard if you wanna go into a management career.

I actually really love it

I've worked in a coffee shop setting before and loved it, so wanted something similar and this absolutely works for me. I think this is the first time ever I can really say I love my job. Of course there is stress and frustration, just like any other job, but I think it's great.There are times that the higher ups expect you to drop everything to cover a shift, however which can be frustrating.

Pros

Free drinks on shift 30% off everything Employee of the month rewards Chance of progression

Cons

Work/life balance isn't the best. Don't respect plans or time off if shifts need covering.

Nice people, Busy Store

I enjoyed a part of the Starbucks. All staff were nice and very helpful. But busy Store. If you are in drive thru, it sometimes could be stressful. But you learn teamwork . Some Customers were rude and it can be exhausted.

Pros

Discounts, nice and helpful team

It's a good place to work especially for you first job. You learn so much and gain lots of experience for customer service and so much more!

My interview was very relaxed and i felt comfortable talking to who interviewed me. As i got closer and closer to finding out wether i got the job or not, i couldn't stop imagining myself working there. When i heard back i proudly got the job and was so happy! At first my team was very welcoming and i couldn't wait to go to work. But after a while i felt quite different to everyone else and isolated because i didn't have any relations with my team and didn't know anyone. I felt like they were pretending to like me from the start so i would feel more welcome. Ive learned to try keep myself to myself cause i don't want no one to hate me and i don't want to lose my job.

Pros

Again it's a great experience and you learn so much, You get a 30% discount for you and you family, Every shift you get 2 free tall drinks of you choice, The manager i have is very understanding and always try's to help.

Cons

most likely get put on 2 days of the weekend (friday saturday sunday) every week, it's hard to join a team when they've all got strong friendships already and you feel singled out

Too serious

They want you to genuinely dedicate your life to the brand and the delivery of something as remedial as cup of coffee to people who take it far too seriously and are more often than not rather unpleasant to deal with.

Lovely atmosphere

Lovely atmosphere working there, everyone would support one another and never felt silly or judged. Training was excellent and any hours overworked were appreciated and I was always receiving praise and appreciation.

Pros

Discount lunch, friendly staff and support

Cons

The place shut down

Fun workplace

Great place to work. Everyone gets on well and works well together. Free drink before your shift, on your break and after your shift. Discount on any food.

Pros

Free drinks

Cons

Too many hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starbucks. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement