Stena Line
Happiness score is 67 out of 100

Stena Line Employee Reviews

United Kingdom34 reviews

Fun place to work, long hours

A fun place to work when you get the chance with a great team but every opportunity for rest must be taken as rest. I typically worked 14 days on (13hrs/day) and sometimes split shifts (0600-1200, 1800-00:00). You get 14 days off following this but it takes a few of those days to recover.

Pros

All meals (really good), and accommodation provided. Onboard laundry facilities, gym for use of colleagues, Relatively good pay after recent pay review, Good opportunities for advancement within the company.

Cons

Long days, limited rest periods. 2 weeks on is hard going if you have a great family life.

Overworked and underpaid

Over worked, Underpaid, staff and management are judgemental and very clicky with each other. No support, rooms are dirty, cabins never cleaned right

Pros

Going home

Cons

Hours, crew food, crew beds had bed bugs

Insights into Stena Line

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Stressful no life

Stena line 12 quays has the biggest turn over of staff its unreal ,so that must tell you something I worked there for 3 years couldn't wait to leave , if you are a single man/women and have no life this job is for you the management is a joke and only the favourites get anything in there. If I can give you any advice keep well away stena line are the worst company to work for

Pros

Finishing your shift

Cons

Everything dead end job

Excellent team group

Week on/week off . You become a working family . Front of house, is always nice to meet new people. Loved the rough crossings bit not when u have to clear up vomit

Pros

Free food

Cons

Late arriving in port

Productive workplace

Fast paced challenging environment. Good pay and always opportunities to progress up the ranks. Ability to gain vast experience. Everyday is different. Nice to meet new people. Good crew members to learn from.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Spending 2 weeks away from home

Excellent.

Highly recommend this company, the crew on board the vessels are very friendly and helpful. Absolutely gutted I didn't stay as none of my jobs have come close to the experience I had on board.

Worst company in the world

Worst company in the world, treat their staff very poorly. Wages are dreadful. Management is a mess, prices are shocking, the food is worse. Try p&o they must be better.

productive and fun place to work

Basically living on board taking for a minimum of one week at a time. you will be required to do a 13 hour every day. you live on board with your colleagues. You will have times where work is very fast paced but other times where you will have less busy times at the end of your shift to relax and enjoy facilities that are available to crew only

Pros

all food, no bills at home

Cons

Good Staff, good working environment but lacks facilities

Good place to work as a temporary job, offers a week on week off basis of work and often even more work available during the summer months. Management are generally good.

Fast paced workplace

Quite a busy job with a lot of emails coming in all the time. With the crews changing weekly there is a high demand for temp cover which is what makes the job so busy. I've learned a lot of skills related to ship management. The workplace itself is fairly laid back but the job is quite demanding. Hardest part of the job is meeting the demands of the vessels.

Needs to be more money

If your 18 live at home with your mum and go out and get drunk every week this is the job for you if you have a family you need to support not the job for you hard graft scrubbing bogs and managers treat you like slaves expect you to do 20 jobs at once! And the money is shocking!

Pros

Free food

Cons

Pay

hard fast pace

work is now a split shift was made redundant from a 22000 a year job,asked to go back but only i willing to pay just over minimum wage for doing same role and harder shift and work patterns when others doing same job are now paid 24000 not a good pay policy. Would have gone back for fair pay.

Good working environment

Hard work and long days but was an enjoyable place to work with good crew. Accommodation on board was very good and clean. The vessel itself was a good place to be.

Amazing company

Working for stena line was the most amazing experience ever. From the crew to the managers and captain. Would recommend this to anyone

Pros

Working hours.

Friendly work colleaguesand relaxed nature to work. Timetables to acheive and hit but nothing excessive and plenty ofgiven notification

Training course provided for improved It. 20'skills Use of technology to communicate with colleagues throughout the company Friendly co workers with opportunities to meet socially after work .

good company

I enjoyed my time working for stenaline, they are a very well run company and treated me well, especially when was on maternity. A typical day at work was starting at 0630 and learning what location you would have been working at and waited for passengers to board, once passengers were on we made sure all their needs are met then carries on with any cleaning duties that needed done. I learnt a lot from working in all different areas onboard the boat. The hardest part of the job was the long hours and being away form home so much. The most enjoyable part was meeting people from all different places around the world and coming away with friends.

Pros

Meeting differnet people

Cons

long hours away from home

fantastic

This was a fantastic job, i had the opportunity to achieve so much in my life experience working with stena, this was my first real job. I made so many friends and had so much fun. Great Company to work for.

Different every day

A typical day can depend on the weather and if there is any issues the night before, it can be busy and full on with trailers coming in and need to make sure that the numbers are right. Its small teams and we are on split shifts so your with the same people all the time. Hardest part of the job is the shifts as finishing late and getting back early depending on the amount of sleep you have

Pros

free ferry crossings and cheap train travel

Cons

hours and weather

best people to work with

i work for stena line at present it is a great place for people to work it is fun and the people are lovely the downfall is the 0 hour contract as it is not dependable

Pros

free lunches free car parking

Cons

long hours and pay is poor

good place to wor however not the job you think it is

the job as a whole is not bad however its not what people think as instead of being part of a sales team you are just a glorified cleaner hover its not a bad start out job

Pros

free dinner

Cons

none really

Busy work place

A typical day at work is busy, with lots of different faces and jobs to do within the role. Rarely have time for a break unless you leave someone else under pressure.

Cons

Unsociable hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stena Line. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Stena Line with

• Stena Line
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?