Stirling Council

Working at Stirling Council: 45 Reviews

United Kingdom45 reviews

staffteamhourgoodenjoydayworkingpeople

Job was straight forward

Job was straight forward, unfortunately the council has a playground policy grown men acting like children, if they don’t get to go on the beat they want and work with their pals, immaturity among management is bad , as is religious bigotry, worked here as a driver for almost ten years then took redundancy, some decent guys but not many.

Pros

Get to see nice country side on rural beats

Cons

Dealing with management unless you support a certain football team

Very satisfying job

Enjoyed teaching for Stirling council. Pay is ok but job is getting harder. Good if you like being organised and working mainly on your own. Can be stressful at times.

Pros

Job satisfaction

Cons

Poor pay for effort, skill needed and time spent preparing and giving feedback

Insights into Stirling Council

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Supportive environment
  • Inclusive work environment

Waste services corrupt and worse management I have worked under.

Too many relatives in the service who get priority for overtime and holidays and get away with murder. You are classed as a problem if you turn up to work to actually work. Management and personnel have a big drug problem !! Absolutely bewildering how i lasted the time I did. They will fabricate stories to discipline guys who stand up to them . Union just as bad !! If you enjoy working with guys out their faces "crack" on !!

Pros

Shift pattern and hours.

Cons

See above !

decent job ruined by management

completely incompetent management, no real training, maybe 2 hours? left alone to figure everything out, materials rarely ordered in due time when asked for, rude supervisors and threats made to your reference for not doing something they haven't provided materials for during notice period. not to mention multiple people were made to share reusable gloves for certain tasks, not exactly personal protective equipment

Pros

living wage

Cons

incompetent management

Management need to wake up and get a grip

No communication within departments. Corupt staff and management they need to get a grip underpaid for work u do can be long hours Travel can be a pain to from job to job and never are u thanked for anything u do

Avoid

persecution never praise,,always looking for an excuse to reprimand you,fire you so that they can employ someone younger and lesser rate of pay,use to be a great place to work

Pros

finishing time

Cons

starting time

Do your job

If you do your job, then a pretty good place to work. Can be a long day - core hours are 8.00am to 10.00pm - but management try to ensure that this is not a regular thing.

Pros

Staff discounts

Fantastic opportunities

If you love working with children, becoming an SLA is the job for you! It's relaxed in terms of how much you want to work, you can be flexible with your days to suit yourself. Always had a great experience with the schools and nurseries i attended and all the staff where welcoming.

Stirling Council

I enjoyed my time working for Stirling Council. We had a good team ethic and the pay was good. The location suited me and I really enjoyed the work that we did on a day to day basis. It gave me good experience, Holidays were good also.

Management appear to be on a different planet and have little understanding of the front line issue and also do not back up there staff.

Problems with the management style within certain departments and the team leaders do not have the knowledge and understanding of the working environment. Most of the team leaders are more interested in pleasing the senior managers and trying to show that everything is wonderful when there is major problem. aaissues to be dea

Motivated and Positive workplace

I love my job. I have an excellent boss who supports me to meet learner's needs with good advice, encouraging autonomy and creativity. For this reason, I feel very valued as a member of the service. I am fortunate to have positive working relationships with all my establishments and the SMT, teachers and SLAs therein. I also really enjoy working with the families of the young people on my case-list, as I keep telling them, 'they are the experts!' and I need to learn from them before I can help! Lastly, and most importantly, I enjoy working with the children on my case-list. Seeing a change for the better that I have helped to provide is definitely the highlight of the role. Supporting families who are grieving loss and/or facing difficult challenges is the hardest part (but oh so important!).

Fun workplace

Very good work experience and a good insight into what an office like job is like . Staff are are very kind friendly and helpful when it comes to learning the basics of the working lifestyle

Pros

The experience

Productive and Fun Group

As a work experience job for school it was an enjoyable practical job, the workers where good company making me feel welcomed. The average day was that we where told what to do, where to do it and with what plants. It was also all complete by the deadline.

Short temporary position

None of my references were taken up prior to commencement of employment. I wasn't issued with a contract of employment or information in writing. The position should have been temporary for 6 months but had to be terminated after 2 weeks!

Had Enough

Worked for Stirling Council for 4years and it is so disorganised and too many people getting away with not doing thier job properly making it harder for those who do. Lack of management and not supported when unwell. wouldnt recomend as an employer.

Pros

competitive salary

Cons

taken advantage. long hours, strefull, disorganised

Not a good place to work

Not a good place to work. Constant change and moving office is not conducive to getting the best out of staff. Staff resources an issue and only now being addressed after two years.

Pros

Can't think of any

Cons

Poor staff parking

Fun and Challenging

I spent twenty years working with children and families and have had many experiences. Working with children and watch them develop and realising how capable they are is amazing to witness. Very busy days, two days never the same. Being able to use your initiative, on occasions to be able to think and move fast. Having a good management support team is important and for staff to work together. The hardest part of the job is when negative issues arise with children and families. I stayed so long because enjoyed working in the nursery setting, the people, supportive colleagues and knowing you have been a part of the child's life

Pros

children always make you smile

Cons

Can be very tiring on your feet all day.

Apprentice

Liked the work, didn't enjoy the college aspect of it. Grave digging, head cutting, grass cutting etc, wide range of tasks, giving me a great experience in lots of different areas.

Pros

20% off nandos

Cons

College

not fun not productive.

While it was an interesting job, it was often run in a chaotic fashion. People in jobs they were not really fit for. Am all for restructure if ita done right. Moral amongst the workforce is unbelievably low.

Pros

good workmates

Cons

bad management

Excellent employer

I worked for Stirling Council for 16 years as a frontline manager in waste services and a scientific officer in environmental health. SC is an active and proactive authority that encourages development. Colleagues and friends excellent to work with.

Varied and enjoyable job. hardest part of the job dealing with volatile customers, but it was a challenge that I enjoyed. Both Managers were good, you could talk to them if you had a problem.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stirling Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement