Stirling Park

Stirling Park: 9 Employee Reviews

United Kingdom9 reviews

Trainee

I work as a trainee Sheriff Officer at present. There is no formal instruction in the job process with the emphasis on acting as a witness for the Sheriff Officer. There is a lot of reading with monthly exams, covering subject matter of the job with little or no consolidation of ‘learning’.

Worst experience of my life.

I wouldn’t recommend working here to my worst enemy. Management are cliquey. They have an “open door policy” but will only tell you all the ways they won’t help. If you take a solution to them that would help your situation, they won’t even entertain it. They’ll simply tell you to power through or quit. Staff are lovely and job is okay, easy job for decent money and breaks are great. However, you will have no support and no work/life balance. They don’t tolerate illness or personal problems. Bottom line, if you’re not part of the clique you’re going to have the worst work experience ever. Don’t dare take ill, certainly don’t have a life outside work and perform/act like a robot.

Pros

Breaks, money, staff

Cons

A lot of revision but worth it if its what you want to do

The Trainee job itself is really easy and not much to do but a lot of work revision is required to pass the exams (they expect you to revise for at least a hour a day after working 8.30-5) Salary is really bad for a trainee (15.5k) but increases a lot when you qualify after 5 years. Trainees don't get to pick their own holiday you have to match up with when a Sheriff Officer has taken theirs which is probably the worst part about the job. Other than that the company itself and the people that work for it are great.

Pros

Easy, get along with other colleagues

Cons

revision, exams, salary

not a bad place to work

management assistance fairly poor but all around good atmosphere an other staff pleasant and helpful. Management reluctant to give you any assistance when needed

Hard work = results

Traineeship is a 3 year training course whereby studying at home is combined with practical training on the road with a qualified officer. Training allowance is given over and above a normal witness salary. Daily duties involve collecting morning mail , signing documents and accompanying a sheriff officer to serve jobs and making enquiries in the field. In the afternoon, trainees deliver mail back to depot and head home. High pass marks and intense studying that gets harder with time - not to be underestimated but with hard work the results are clear. Good salary company car etc if you can make it to the final exam. Management are fair and accommodating- they expect reliability and commitment but in return will be as flexible as possible. If you arent a hard worker this is not the job for you - you need to be willing to put your all into this traineeship to achieve long term goals.

Pros

Managers, colleagues, long term career

Cons

A lot of hard work and studying for first 3 years

Potential

Everyone is given equal opportunity and expectations are more or less universal for witnesses/Trainees (Basically same thing) You study your topic for the month by yourself and are presented with a written exam at the end. They are mostly open ended questions so no guessing at multiple choice, if you don't know an answer it will be blatant. The best part of the job for me was the qualified Sheriff Officers and Messengers that I worked with on a daily basis. Pretty much all the guys (all male - in Glasgow at least) were really nice and down to earth. Good bunch. Management, I'll leave you to make up your own mind, I had both positive and negative experiences but you are likely to only cross paths in the morning for 30/40 minutes and maybe the same again in the evening. Wages are basically minimum wage for 3 years while you study and providing you pass your exams after 3 years you are in for a hearty salary increase and a company car. The usual politics are present. Not always the right person getting what they deserve, can be a case of who you know, not what you know. Job security is basically up to you. Pass your exams = Happy days. However, fail your exams = Job centre days. You'll need a couple of hours per night to handle the work load and you'll need the ability to retain all the previous month's study as each exam contains questions from previous modules. Strolling in hungover on a Monday having studied over the weekend generally won't do you for long. Having said that if you're dedicated and can put in the time, it is in my opinion, easy money. -

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Wages for 3 years, volume of study

Don't go unless you don't want a social life.

8-5 expected to carry heavy bags every morning, after work study ALOT and not paid for it, management are just foul attituded bullies, Expected to put up with terrible co workers who think they are gods gift, no help with studying. Avoid unless educated to a university standard and don't want a social life for years.

Pros

Not really working

Cons

Terrible management, to much studying.

Challenging

Start at 9am finished at 5pm. Tea breaks were 10 minutes afternoon and morning. Lunch was from either 12pm - 1pm or 1pm - 2pm. I learned how to deal with the general public by phone and face to face. I also spoke with clients and this required a great deal of tact and diplomacy. Management, however tough and hard they were with their employees, were fair. No two days on the job were the same. The hardest part of the job was to me was the pressure to get the workload completed on time, however the most enjoyable part was my workmates as they were friendly and if you needed help were there.

Mundane

Not a job with positive outcomes. Poor management in realation to a set training structure.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stirling Park. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement