Strawberry Fields Farm Shop

Strawberry Fields Farm Shop Reviews

United Kingdom24 reviews

staffdaymanagementworkingjobworktimething

I wouldn't recommend working here. Stressful, timed by the hour for what you do. Management change mind about allowances nearly daily.

Just don't do it. It's not worth it. Very little benefits and always asking for more from you. More you gibe the more they take. Honestly just don't.

Pros

Cons

Poor management

Shop Assistant

The Shop itself is lovely and my fellow workers were nice but the Middle Managers are very cliquey . The working conditions behind the scene are pretty dreadful. The Staff room so dirty most of us ate our lunch in our cars. There's a feeling of distrust towards the workers who all work very hard in a physically demanding job with very limited break time

Pros

Friendly fellow workers

Cons

Very poor work conditions

Insights into Strawberry Fields Farm Shop

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment

Fast Paced to work in but a good place to learn

Great place to learn.Everyday is a different day but in a good way.Great people, great fun.Started from the bottom and worked my way up, i feel valued by the directors and enjoy my job.

A great family run business that grows and makes lots of its own products unlike lots of other Farm Shop. Fast placed environment where no 2 days are the same.

Love working here!!

I have been here for over a year now, and it is probably one of the best jobs I have ever worked- the teams/departments are all so friendly and helpful, and the working day is relaxed with a really positive atmosphere. The management team are really supportive and easy to get on with, and the owners are even actively on site working across the departments where needed, so morale and motivation is defiantly high across the board!Customers both regular and new love to enthuse about the farm shop and restaurant, and being customer facing is such a great opportunity to enthuse about it yourself too!Lots of staff support and events to keep morale boosted, flexibility and understanding in each department as well, really great!

Fun & Friendly

Great people, great fun and even better produce! Since working here I have felt supported and I’m excited to see where my role develops over the next few years !

Fast Paced to work in but a good place to learn

I was reluctant to work here as some negative reviews, but if you are hardworking and love a challange you do get looked after. This isnt a little small farm shop selling but a proper business growing and making their own produce. It can be more stressful than a supermarket I worked at before as things change quickly and you have to adapt . But i have enjoyed that challange. I left to move nearer family up north.

Don't do it

The job was great to begin with. Then the company expanded.Staff moral dropped. Benefits were removed. Staff were less helpful to each other. Bullying is a daily occurance and nothing gets done about it, they just turn a blind eye.Management really don't care about staff. Long term staff are leaving. They promise you the world and don't bother once you are there.I wouldn't go back to work here, and would say good luck to anybody that does

Pros

Free car parking

Cons

Freezing in the winter, roasting in the summer.have to pay if you want a fleece to keep warm

bad management

whatever you do will never be good ,you will only get complains ,you never get promoted ,and you never get a payrise ,the management family ,is only intessted in taking money , and you ment to be lucky that you allowed to work for them,

Pros

free lunches you wont get

Feel a number not a person

Got too big for there boots used to be a nice place to work but its different now it like if you face fits with certain management you get an easy life but if certain management doing like you well they dong even speak unless you speak first thay have their favourites and if you say no to something your left to feel like you'd let them down when they are letting their staff down all the time by not having enough staff on each shift no overtime and no prospects and no incentive to say there and try get up the ladder to higher positions because like I say if your face doesn't fit your nothing best decision was to leave and wouldn't recommend working at lifton farm shop

Pros

Not much

Cons

Still not much

Tough and repetitive work environment

Dreadful place to work with long hours, horrible staff and bare minimum pay and bonuses. If you’re looking to find a weekend job or summer job as a teenager then brilliant i can assure you that you will be given work every day and be expected to do ABSOLUTLEY EVERYTHING with NO training whatsoever. Luckily i joined pre- covid and was shadowed by somebody but now it’s a joke.. new staff are given their uniform a brief convo and then thrown into the deep end. There is absolutely no progression unless you are family/ friend. Be prepared to do everything everyday as the higher staff such as supervisors/ managers can’t be bothered and would much more rather have a chat instead (most likely talking badly about other staff) and then have the audacity to give you a telling off the brief second you aren’t doing anything. No bonuses such as free food or anything you are just given a lousy staff card which gets you 20% off whereas all the items in the shop and restaurant are too overpriced. The only non bad thing about working here is the £20 bonus which you get for working both saturday and sunday. The only problem is you’ll most likely be expected to do both days every week (unless your management/ supervisors) Granted the £20 is nice but don’t expect to be told about it as they like to keep that hidden from new employees and also don’t expect it in your bank account at the end of the month …. there has been maybe 1or 2 occasions when i didn’t have to ask for it as they “forget”. It was the best decision of my life to leave here and i highly recommend using this terrible workplace as -

Pros

Free parking

Cons

Long hours, no progressment, horrible staff

Really poor management

Horrible experience here older staff treated younger staff poorly. I got called multiple different names and useless on many different occasions. No training given whatsoever and they expect you to be able to do stuff you haven’t been trained to do

Pros

Younger staff were all really close friends

Cons

Long hours poor management

Awful place to work

It is an awful place to work, management are lazy and have no respect for younger staff. Younger staff and overwhelmed with work and have little time to breathe and the breaks are so small for such long hours. When I started I was super excited but then it just went down hill no proper shift schedule no one showing up which I’m not supposed about and so sense of organisation. The kitchen are rushed and spoken to rather rudely at times and there is no way I would ever continue there if I had another choice lucky that I’m not longer there really.

Cons

Fast paced, but definitely a good place to work

Everyday is different. Some days are quite, some days are busy just like any shop/restaurant. Its definitely not a job for the faint hearted as its a very fast paced, High achieving environment. Like any work place, it has its pros and cons. The staff (in all departments) I've worked with are some of the best, supportive and hardest workers I know and you do become close with your co-workers. The management is becoming very good; in all departments now that there is more managers stretched across the departments. Its a busy business, which for its size, is growing very quickly! The hardest part of working is the communication between management and staff. Not everything is passed through so sometimes you'll come across a problem which only management can resolve, and they're not always around which makes things a lot worse. Another is the summer working. It can get extremely busy and hot and the uniforms aren't really ideal, so it is VERY hard work. Everyone including management are in the same uniform so everyone is in the same boat, however woman are required to wear hats; Although last year we were allowed to remove them in the shop over the summer months. Overall, the job is what you make it and for myself it was a very positive experience and would recommend it to anyone as a first job like myself :)

Pros

good, positive working atmosphere

Cons

Long hours and unifrom

Didn't meet my expectations.

Freezing cold working conditions with no suitable equipment provided such as gloves. £18 for a branded fleece. ZERO health and safety training given despite maual labour style job and no occupational health assessment despite being a disabled employee. My disability was disclosed to several staff members without my consent or knowledge. Staff are cliquey, bad mouth each other all day long and the terrible "banter" made me feel unable to disclose my sexuality and discuss anything about my life outside work. Started the job feeling really optimistic but was disappointed. The locals praise the family and shop so well but are unaware of what happens behind the scenes in the crowded, damp, freezing cold warehouse where staff are literally shivering all day.

Could be so good

Having worked there in many different departments for a couple of years it’s very sad to see how the family have completely lost all of their values. Some values they never had but the few they did are now extinct. The staff turnover is massive but management can not see this is to do with them. There is absolutely no job progression. Unless you are family (with no experience) or are employed from outside. They will never promote from within. The few 1 or 2 who have been promoted have only been done so because they have no voice. Will not argue back nor support their team. The kitchen which has the highest turnover of staff will never change while certain people are still left in control. It’s horrific to watch the daily occurrences. The ladies who work in the shop are treated incredibly bad by management and have no voice. No on is interested. The restaurant girls work so hard, running around all day with little amount of breaks even in he hot weather. Still management insists on the women (only women) wearing those silly hats.... Bakery is very stressful in respect that all the new staff have no idea on the basics. All in all it’s now all about the money. There’s no work outings anymore. Most barely on minimum wage. It’s a very negative atmosphere throughout. Only thing going for it is the amazing coworkers that have to rock up on a daily basis, keeping everything ticking over with very little gratitude.

Bunch of bad management

Worked for the company a few years back when I first moved to Cornwall. The whole idea of everything is grown on the farm and made on the farm is almost a dream for a chef........then you actually start working for them. Working in the kitchen was fun preparing all the dishes for service. Once service hits then things go down hill it's like working in a school kitchen where you slop the food on a plate then shove it into the microwave to reheat wait for a couple minutes then hand it over to the customer. The management were terrible. The assistant manager came up to me and said would I mind shaving as the owner jo doesn't like beards. To which I said well what about the other employeee he has a beard and her response was he has lighter hair so you cant really see it so that's fine. So I got discriminated against for having brown hair.

Family business that is growing very fast

It's a busy day and no day is the same Lots of new management on board It's a great place to work, with some very busy days No two days are the same

not nice

would not go back to work there if they paid me, they were not very nice people, felt like an outsider working for them, was very cold, worked out the back, no tea/coffee etc, no one ever checked on me

Waitress

I was given no training, turned up and was shown the basic staff area out the back. Given an apron, Hat, and Polo to wear and was left to my own devices on the floor. I was completely out of my depth and was not given the opportunity to shadow or learn. I started on a busy summer Saturday and was constantly snapped at by management for not smiling or doing things correctly - despite no training. The team is incredibly clicky. I was never given a staff handbook or contract and had to chase my pay 8 weeks into working there. I was paid from the till for my time there with no paperwork or wage slip and when I requested one day off i was made to feel incredibly bad about it despite ample notice. I dreaded going to work and never knew what time I was to start or finish and regularly had to ring in to ask, I eventually decided to leave without notice - which was no issue as I was not signed into a contract.

Pros

Free Parking

Cons

No Training

My time at Lifton Farm Shop

When you see the job advertised as ‘good rates of pay’ this is a lie. It’s a basic wage. Everyone’s pay schedule is different, depending on your popularity with management. Good points: * free lunch * free parking Bad points: * 15+ hour shifts on busy days * tips aren’t shared out, they go in the ‘tip jar’ (for outings of managements choice)- these tips are not recorded for staff to see the total and expenditure, so I think it’s pocketed * heat in the summer is unbearable, and they insist you wear those ridiculous hats and thick polo shirts. There’s no air con. * clicky, unfriendly, awkward staff * some staff like to bully others * horrible staff toilets with gaps * unorganised, hazardous, stressful kitchen * no breaks on super busy days * favouritism * no opportunity to do courses * If your over a size 12 you are frowned upon when eating your lunch * No opportunity for promotion as the family have the high positions * You get charged £1 from your wages if you clock in/out wrong * You have to wear horrible gloves in food areas...which is unhygienic as hand washing isn’t as frequent * Staff discount is 15% in the shop, considering most things are marked up at over 40% they are still making money * Taking holidays are in block full weeks at a time, no odd days which you may need * Management aren’t qualified, being qualified in primary education doesn’t mean you can manage a business

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Lots

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Strawberry Fields Farm Shop. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement