Subway

Subway Employee Reviews

United Kingdom3,072 reviews

Found 3,072 reviews matching the searchSee all 54,078 reviews

It’s ok if desperate

Generally ran tight. Work life balance non-existent, people skills and practices are pretty low. Depending on selection staff members are polite and are the only things to boost morale within company. Massively underpaid and often left to work alone. Including under 18s. Training depends on stores, company’s and trainers. But ran so tight that training can often be inconsistent. Don’t think many people are paid fairly for the roles they do, and only company I’ve heard that area managers are on zero hour contracts.

Very good

Good place to work, quick paced but a lot of training. I worked to the point of being left in charge, it gave me a lot of valuable life skills for my future work

Insights into Subway

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Worst job

The worst company to work for, management expect too much from you and not pay you for the job you do. Treat you without respect, expect you to go above and beyond the job title and not even a thank you in return

Ok for students

Meh …wouldn’t recommend for everyone for students or flexible workers, got a sandwich if you worked 4+ hours but the turnover was high and Assistant Manager was gross

Productive And fun place to work.

I had a really good experience during my time working at Subway. The other members of staff there are amazing, everyone gets a long so well. It’s fast - paced during the busy hours however, it’s easy to pick up. Customers are lovely aswell, everyone is always so polite when they enter the store.

Pros

Free lunches, management is great. Good work-life balance:)

Cons

None :)

Terrible!

Terrible. I worked here for a while. The bosses were not supportive at all. Zero hour contract and they excepted a lot. One week you got 10 hours another ya got 40 so ya never knew where you were at. Out of date things used to change the label for the day after absolutely rottten.

Not a great place to work.

I wouldn’t recommend working for subway, underpaid, short staffed all the time, over worked and bad management. As a whole o wouldn’t ever go back to subway even if it was the only job on earth

Pros

Free food on shift

Cons

Everything else

Lack of Work/Life Balance

I started as the Assistant Manager and eventually got a promotion to Store Manager. The work/life balance is extremely poor as management and I would do 48-53 hour weeks regularly which was wrecking my home life. The boss expected me to work regardless and do all my rotas and ordering at home! Unpaid!

Pros

Free staff drinks and meals Bonus Scheme

Cons

Extremely long hours No work/life balance

Long hours and understaffed.

Would have to open and close shop so working irregular hours and long shift. Would say no more than 40 hours but end up working 50-65 hours a week. Customers treat you poorly. Fellow workers were the only positive. Would be left in store alone at peak times on a weekend left to struggle because of poor management and not enough staff. A franchise took over my work and the AC broke, wouldn’t fix it, food in the counters was at high (dangerous) temperatures and wouldn’t let me bin food but continue serving it.

Great management and enjoyed the tasks

well organised teamfriendly management felt appreciated and looked aftergreat benefits eg discount at o2 which was brilliant for my phone contract as i got 20% off (it was maybe 25% cant remember)

Way too much work for such little pay.

Exhausting and not worth it, underpaid and not paid for working overtime which you basically have to do everyday. “Free food” but it’s never actually good. Only good thing I’ve found in subway is one colleague who’s now my friend. Genuinely makes me cry when I’m on my days off and I remember I have to go back. Don’t ducking work here

Small but friendly team, feels like second family

Can be very busy and stressful , but if you working with good team ,like we got at the moment, time flies past and you have a nice time at work ,free lunch ,hot and cold drinks on shift.

Treat staff horrible

If your sandwich artist in a quiet store it’s a very easy job. If you are a supervisor or manager it’s a very high stress job. They put so much pressure on you leaving you with barely any staff. Constantly shipping you off to other stores to cover.

Pros

Free food

Cons

Stressful

Fun place to work, great area managers

Easy and speedy hiring, good area/regional managers. Free food on shift. Just not not enough money for job like this, training was not bad. Over all good place to work.

Fun place to work, fast paced, shifts were flexible

Working at subway was fun, the staff was friendly and training was provided throughout the first week however more training using app or website was required to be done in own time which was the only downside, you got a free 6"sub and discounts on drinks and snacks.

Pros

Free sandwiches

Cons

Can be stressful in busy times

Great place to work.

Good place to work.Flexible with working times. Just don’t expect all weekends off.Great banter with regular customers.It’s a really busy store so never boring there is always something to do.

Loved my time at subway , This job opportunity was amazing it helped me become confident , plus my community social skills improved which has led me to a confident women,

Great first job

Great first job. Easy training. Great experience. Can be different depending on the branch but mine was fast paced and very well paid. I would recommend it.

Can meet new people, when it's not busy the job can be very laid back and easy.

If you're looking for part time work, working at subway is ideal due to the different shift patterns. Be prepared to feel overwhelmed during very busy hours. Responsible for your own tasks.

Pros

Free food

good staff and hours but poor management

Management wasn’t the best, always was threatened with strikes for the tiniest mistakes. Didn’t even get proper training. They would message you past working hours, sometimes 12-1am in the morning. Anything that went on in the workplace wasn’t accounted for in a serious manor and was brushed off as nothing, making it uncomfortable to work there with certain colleges

Pros

Paid every 2 weeks. Free food and discounted food.

Cons

Poor Management

Out of fast food jobs its the easiest

You cant struggle working here because its very easyOnly problem is having to do tasks and then having to stop said task to serve customers If u got the right team then its a smoot sailing easy going job, i regret leaving it was by far the easiest job i had

Pros

Free food

Cons

Depending on the store u may need to work shifts alone

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Subway. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Subway with

• Subway
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?