Subway

Subway Employee Reviews for Sandwich Maker

Found 1,636 reviews matching the search
Duties are easy. Most people are friendly and easily approachable. Very small group that almost become like family. Good place to start. Not a place to build a life around though.
Pros
Free food and drink. Flexible hours. Small team.
Cons
Managers are undervalued and overworked, Aren't they everywhere though, Pay is low, A lot of responsibilities and no real benefit of working for the company, No progression, No bonuses, Standard hourly rate that you could literally get anywhere
I only worked at weekends so maybe I didn't see the full impact of working there. It was fast paced and there was always something to do. Very big on cleaning. I think every store is different though. I never worked alone but I don't agree that others should for safety reasons.
Pros
Clean
Cons
Depends what your goals are
Managment Lost my Paper work 4 times, I had to wait 9 weeks to get paid. time that i worked got edited to when the shift was written to start and finnish even though we had to stay behind up to 2 hours to clean and those hours where edited back to the written time.
Pros
Free Half Sub
Cons
Hours Worked wont be the hours paid, always rushing
McDonald’s is a better place to work, honestly the stuff are great people, the customers were great but the management was bad, found rat dropping in the food storage and where they would prep the food
Pros
6 inch sub
Cons
Low pay rate, plus takes £300 off your last pay wage for “training” when it was another sandwich artist
The company is a joke. I've worked there for 6 year. From september I have been running that shop as a sandwich artist with no help at minimum wage and dont even get a thankyou. They moan about everything bad you do but never give you praise for all the hard work you do.
Pros
Cons
Short staffed
The managers there are amazing, so is the staff. It’s right opposite a huge university so although it’s busy at some times it great for individuals who are studying.
Pros
Free lunch
Very high expectations for minimum wage! High turnover of staff coming in and out due to poor management. Expect too much of new employee, if you can’t cut bread to a perfect standard without training they will just get rid of you on your first day. Very unprofessional franchise to work for! Not worth the effort of applying!
Pros
Free six inch sub
Cons
Unprofessional, poor management, false promises, expect so much for minimum wage
Very family run and very friendly team. I didn’t work there for very long as my hours were only weekend cover which didn’t really suit. Would work again for subway .
Pros
Free subs
Cons
Weekend work only
Don’t work here. The manager was rude and unfriendly. The workplace was unwelcoming and highly stressful and this created a bad environment. Customers were frequently rude and made inappropriate comments and management allowed them to continue. Manager tried to diddle us on the pay quite often.
Pros
Cons
Horrible manager and bad pay
Always something to do which made the time go by quick. Free lunch and cookies :)Lovely team and customersHardest part was to not burn the cookies :(
Pros
free lunches
Cons
can get quite tiring
Schedules and hours are horribly planned. Manager punishes people by cutting their hours. Some people paid under minimum wage. Manager speaks to staff terribly in front of customers. Training happens on the go and you are expected to just know what you’re doing. Only upside is that the actual staff are really nice and friendly, so if you can handle being paid below minimum wage and being yelled at all the time, then you’ll be fine.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Unpredictable hours, poor management, awful work environment
They often change the shifts with less than 24 hour notice, staff constantly phone in sick, management not very helpful, (my) manager didn't work weekends or any holidays like Halloween or boxing day and overall very untidy place to work
Pros
free 6inch after working 6 hours
Cons
You work by yourself at some busy times and you often close up by yourself
This is a good first job but don’t make the mistake of always saying yes to cover someone and or come in early because you could be asked every time after that. Most of the people are nice to work with but some can be a little stressful
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Work life balance
Extremely stressful. The rota for majority of my time here was non existent. The work life balance was almost impossible to balance, due to the fact that they only informed me about my next shift 12-15 hours prior to shift start. Weirdly enough had to remind them to pay my salary. The work itself is fine, can get quite busy, but thats to be expected in a fast food restaurant. Might be this specific branch, but I haven't heard anything good from friends working in different Subways either.
Pros
gets busy, free sandwich for staff
Cons
unreliable source of money/hours
I felt overworked in this job as in my particular shop many of the other employees took regular smoking breaks (which is fine) but sometimes left me as a new employee at a busy time, I also found that the owners of my particular shop had favourites and were pretty harsh on people they do not like. For example, firing someone over an argument and yelling at them for following subway protocol. I also applied for a full time job but my hours were reduced to as little as 5 hours a week.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Workload
Do not work here if you don’t want to or can’t handle toxic colleagues. My experience with subway was horrendous to put it in a single word. I wasn’t trained. I was expected to learn everything on my own, from looking to see what other colleagues did then was told off by the manager for not doing my job correctly. On my first shift, when I should have been in training, I was made to do the dishes for half of my shift because no one else could be bothered to do them. Every shift, I wasn’t spoken to. Sometimes, I would go a whole shift without speaking to a single colleague. It was usually the same 2 colleagues who would not speak to me, the 2 colleagues who were closest and most friendly outside of work with my manager. Subway was always low of staff. 2 people expected to serve a line of 40 people as fast as possible (no exaggeration), whilst prepping food, making hot drinks, which always delayed the flow as they would take a 2/3 minutes to make, taking cash and doing the dishes. The manager was unbothered. Never helped unless someone asked for help more than once. A manager is meant to make a working environment positive, happy whilst encouraging teamwork, it was the complete opposite for me and a lot of other staff at my subway. I would always get spoken about behind my back. They would try not to make it obvious but it sure was! Especially when a member of staff tells you that you’ve been spoken about! This is just my experience at subway, every work place is different.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low Wages, Less than 15 hours notice of rota
The job itself was awesome, other staff members were awesome. My only issues were my area manager, the wages, considering the cost of living and also the fact that you only get 1/2 hour break when on a long shift....
Really enjoyed working here such a shame it had to close. Good environment and good pay. If you enjoy independence then I definitely recommend as most of the time you are left to it alone :)
Pros
Super cheap lunches
Cons
Early starts
The turnover rate is going to have you become one of the most senior members of staff within 3 months. Some managers were great, but mine were awful. No-one stayed at the job long enough to care about doing it properly. Found myself working on backlog frequently as we were constantly understaffed for duration of my employment. You'll probably have to do this while lone trading and having to do your own work (cleaning/prep/whatever) - ESPECIALLY if you're working the evening shift. Do yourself a favour and stay away.
Pros
Free food each shift
Cons
Everything else
I am paid less than my fellow co-workers who are in the same position as me. Rotas always have less than 24 hours notice. No bonuses, tips or staff discount.
Pros
Flexible-ish
Cons
Low wage, inequality and poor organization from managers
Management was poor, they will talk behind your back and say nothing to your face. You get into trouble for things that you are trained to do and you don't get a break despite the contract saying you are entitled to it if you work over a certain amount of hours. Was promised a pay rise as a token to keep me when short staffed and when we got more staff never received one.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, No breaks, High expectations