Sue Ryder

Sue Ryder Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,134 reviews

Found 1,134 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,173 reviews
suecharityvolunteershoptillsortingdonationlovely

Calm and positive place to work

Enjoyed my time here and gained valuable skills. Staff were always willing to help whenever I needed it and so overall I would recommend to anyone that wants a job.

Worst place to work - DO NOT put yourself through that

Managers do not care about you. Overworked and very underpaid. No not care how bad your mental health is. Toxic environment, don't care how staff treat residents.

Insights into Sue Ryder

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Not recommending against it

I wouldn't recommend not working here, but also nothing special or "dream company" either. If you manage to negotiate good days, hours, salary and benefit, you'll appreciate that over the stress that comes with the job so I'd say it's a fair overall good experience, just don't expect to find your "tribe" or a satisfying job here.

fun workplace

A very enjoyable place to work. All the colleagues are very helpful and friendly. If you are felling down they come over and ask you if you need support.

Great work

It was a great experience I got to be a volunteer as a customer service assistant and for the length of time ( 1 year) I was able to relate ,communicate and server customer.

Pros

coffee and biscuits

Cons

3 hours

Amazing supportive network of volunteers & staff

From the minute I joined, I have felt part of the team. I was made to feel included instantly & felt I could easily ask for help or ask questions when I felt unsure or needed guidance. I would highly recommend volunteering here as it allows you to gain an amazing skill set & experience customer service in a realistic environment.

Pros

Very flexible, supportive & encouraging

Support is lacking

The work is enjoyable but the support is lacking and the pressure from further up within the company is high, expectations levels are high and staffing levels are the bare minimum. This makes managers jobs untenable regularly.

Over worked under paid

They work you to the bone yet do not pay enough to live on, There is too many chiefs not enough Indians.Dont take holidays as they will replace you before you are back.

Fun

Volunteering at Sue Ryder for my Duke of Edinburgh award was really fun and informative, the staff were really kind, helpful and easy to approach. I'd recommend it when you have some free time to go and volunteer for a while!

It was the wrong place for me

This was so the wrong place for me! I was sent to work voluntarily as part of probation and I feel I was treated very badly!Maybe it was this particular manager and not the culture of the organisation at large but rather then being asked nicely to do things, I was always having orders barked at me, shouted at for making mistakes and given sarky answers when I asked questions. I also found the work quite tedious but that wasn’t anyone’s fault. I really did not enjoy working here!

Pros

Sometimes you across nice clothes and books

Cons

Not fun if you are obliged to work there

Good Friendly Place

People here are really nice and most often are willing to lend a hand or answer questions. Kind to new staff I did not feel at all out of place when I first joined like I usually do when I first join a new job.

Awful higher management who have not a clue as what they expect

I would not work with them if they offered double the salary. They are obviously very committed to the charity but the higher management have no idea of the daily running of a shop.

Productive Experience One of fewest best-selling charity work

I'm passionate on making difference to my work environment. My experience has taught me that there is a lot to helpfulness that I received. This work has opened doors to people from all walks community. I can simply say it was beneficial to individuals and organisations.

Pros

Free drniks and breaks

Loved it.

Loved working here. Was on the retail side. It was somewhere I was to proud to work. Never would have left if I hadn’t moved away. Great management, good work life balance, fair pay.

Fast paced, Good support

Have loved working for Sue Ryder care, every day is different. You have excellent support from your colleagues and management and never feel alone. Good work/ life balance. Wages are on par with other companies.

Fun and Casual volunteer Job

Is a fun and casual place to volunteer with flexibility to your needs. I you want till training you get it if you don’t want to talk to other customers you can stay up stairs.

Area support poor & sales driven

Great shop & customers but area managers believe they know more about running a shop with no actual experience themselves. Exceed their goal on sales year on year but they are always want more & you have to do everything, sorting stock, till, cleaning, recruitment, health and safety. Then when you need support you are dropped with no thought. Charity work is not an easy retail experience at all

Pros

Free tea & coffee

Cons

Long hours & no support

Avoid at all costs. Doesn’t matter what extra work you do, support you give you are only a payroll number. No clue about charity.

Higher management have favouritism at the core of everything they do.If you quietly go about your job demonstrating the company values and behaviours you are disregarded. The regional leadership do not support the shop management teams and are never visible in shops. This was not always the case but sadly new leadership has destroyed this previously enjoyable workplace.

Pros

The shop management teams and loyal hardworking volunteers, All the unsung hero’s working hard to provide vital support to this wonderful charity

Cons

The more you do, the less you are thought of, Expectations and criticism of higher management, during review process, is ignored, passed to the wrong people via emails, During rare shop visits the higher management disregard assistant managers and volunteers.

Productive place to volunteer lovely work force ,friendly ,helpful . I also gained skill such has. Tills customer service cash handling ,

I would recommended to anyone to volunteer for sue Ryder Mirfield it has been and still is a lovely store to be part of. The manager and assistant manager are lovely and very helpful, the other volunteers are friendly too.I am great full to them and I still o in and volunteer when I can and hope to be able to continue to for as long as I can . The experiment I have gained here definitely played a part in me getting my job I have now . Thank you everyone

Unsettling

The volunteers and assistant manager were all great and we had a lovely team. Upper management were disruptive and unreasonable. The area manager was tyrannical. It made my time there unbearable.

Poor management

I overall enjoyed the 15 months I worked for the company, the amount of training and the way I was trained was not great. As a shop assistant was expected to cover shop in mangers absence, however the manager did not like to train in certain areas, which caused problems. The rate of pay wasn't the best.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sue Ryder. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Sue Ryder with

Learn about Sue Ryder in popular locations

• Sue Ryder
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?