Suffolk County Council

Suffolk County Council Employee Reviews

I had a few different roles over the course of the 8 years spent at SCC, but in each one there was not enough time or support to do the tasks they expected.
Worked here for three months and thoroughly enjoyed it colleagues were always willing and there to help out when there was a needPlenty of PPE always someone at the end of the phone during the day the only negative in my opinion is the out of hours service it could take absolutely ages for someone to answer the phoneThe only reason that I decided to leave was because of the virus otherwise this would have been my job until I retired In my opinion it’s a lovely place to work
Pros
Good pay, good team members and staff
Cons
For part time work way too many hours
No work life balance, absolutely work you to the bone with no regard for your well-being. Office staff get the best treatment, frontline Carers get stressed. Made to work long hours, often people had to work more than 5 days in a row. All split shifts, finishing at 10pm, then expected to be at work at 7am, sometimes expected to drive for 30 mins to get there, so often running in less than 6 hours sleep. Avoid working as a carer for this company, they don’t care about staff or clients.
Cons
Worst place I have worked left last dec bulling in housekeeping two of my mates left there as well hide a lot off stuff managers leave as well best thing I done was leave plus they get you to do garden work picking bloody leaves up
I worked for SCC when they had care homes. What can I say, bullying is rife. My then line manager made my life a nightmare . I raised a grievance but manager and SCC stuck together. Things were covered up, I would see my manager out of work in passing and he would make nasty comments to me, wave at me and smile. The abuse I was victim to was horrible. He turned everyone against me. I raised that he would buy the residents inappropriate videos, and watch it with them. This as was also covered up. It took me years to get over the way I was treated and things I saw still haunt me to this day.
I hold fond memories of the time whilst I worked there. I enjoyed working with young people. Especially these in more in need of support. The West Suffolk team was the best
Pros
A wide range of knowledgeable professional
Cons
Severe scrutiny with wokers
I can't praise SCC enough. I had a job with them in the past, which I was sacked from, my fault completely. I was going through something horrible out of work, and it impacted on my job, but I was too scared to get help. I felt ashamed and felt I could not tallk to anyone. After loosing my job witn SCC, the shame I felt was huge. I plucked up the courage to meet with SCC Human Resourses and opened up. They supported me so much, sign posted me to additional support. I started to volunteer with SCC, bulding up my confidence and self worth. They saw the good in me, and gave me a second chance and gave me a job. I can't thank them enough, I don't think I would be here today if it was not for SCC. They prove that people make mistakes, and this can be due to other things going on, but people can learn from them. I have gone from strengh to strengh, I can't change the past but I have learnt from it, and use this in my role to listen and support others going through similar situations
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time working in education.Now I need a change. I am fit and healthy and have a lot of work left in me. Suffolk county council are the best employers in the country..
I enjoyed the work. It was a supportive and interesting position working with young people. It was well managed. It was stressful at times when the young person presented with challenging behaviour but I felt supportive. I enjoyed designing a programme of study which matched the young person I was teaching. It was a creative and interesting role.
SCC do not appreciate their workers in the care sector nor do. They understand the challenges faced in care work. Staff are overworked and underpaid and not listened to.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Suffolk County Council?
Generally, the staff are dedicated to the services provided so in that respect it’s a good place to work. I think the renumeration is fair and Ts and C’s pretty good but there are no perks and austerity has affected and limited what can be done which is frustrating.
Work can be interesting. A Very busy environment sometimes quite challenging. However if you want to get on good training opportunities to increase your qualifications.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Always short staffed
a lovelyplace to work,it was a disagreement with a colleaugue that caused me to leave I enjoyed working with the children during my time there, supporting them with their lunch
friendly staff. good enviroment, fun workplace. worked a morning and evening shift. duties include all aspects of cleaning, light maintainance duties and opening and closing of the premises.
Very good place to work. I enjoyed every offices. Different cultures. Have to adapt It. Flexible work. I really like this. Also. Other advantage is travel facilities. Some buses are free.
Staff who are looked after by their managers, if something is wrong then it will be sorted asap, even if its a visit from supervisor to assist, regular training.
If you ask me about Suffolk County Council, then I would say: - my worklife balance is great - they support working parents like me - they support my #FlexibleWorking - pay is good in Suffolk - apprenticeships are available In this role and authority I work with great colleagues who are my friends and that makes it a great place to work.
I was employed for a fixed term of 1 year on a graduate trainee scheme. I gained a wealth of experience and knowledge in my job role and the team that I worked within went above and beyond to ensure I gained the most out of the year I spent with them. Could not recommend the scheme enough and would encourage anyone that can to apply and work with Suffolk
Variety, Good Team, Lots of support, Not so much inhouse training, sometimes do not feel valued. Like variety and flexible hours Open plan working environment sometimes difficult
Temporary employment only for 3 months, which was fortunately extended to allow me to progress in my learning within the small team I worked with. Manager and other staff were always helpful and courteous and were more than willing to pass on their expertise. Flexi working was also a positive aspect of the job.
Handling media enquiries Working on campaign plans Photography and videography briefings *** Big, friendly team Varied workload Progression opportunities