SUNDERLAND CITY COUNCIL

SUNDERLAND CITY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

United Kingdom73 reviews

councilsupportflexiblestaffworkingenjoyteamhard

Easy place to work

I have worked here for 3 years now and it has been the best job I have had, difficult sometimes. Working in all weathers is sometimes hard but you get used to it . Ok pay , management fair and approachable. If you work hard you will be ok and treat good.

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Weather and irate people

good experience

good casual job as a vote counter that does pay well and helps develop teamwork and time efficiency skills. I would return for future vote counts, very well organised.

Insights into SUNDERLAND CITY COUNCIL

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Good staff

Good working relationships between staff, limited management support.Strategy seems to lurch between initiatives without ever seeing anything through to a conclusion

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Limited prospects

Enjoyable and great atmosphere

DBS obtained once employment offered, first aid training and other courses (available to complete in own time) provided by employer, welcoming and helpful staff, relaxed and friendly environment, great pay rate, excellent work/home balance.

Cons

I had an awful experience and I would discourage anyone from working there.

Most enjoyable part of the job is flexi time, the people of Sunderland and the high paying salary. Hardest part of the job high case loads with no support, lack/poor of management and a toxic workplace culture. There is a lack of staff and an ever growing case load making work life balance difficult for those in a higher up position. I learned how to survive in horrible situations and I know what I DON'T want from a job. I've known 8 employees including myself to resign within a 6 month period. other local authorities are better even if its for less money it is not worth your work life balace or compromising your mental health.

Pros

Flexible hours and home working.

Cons

Poor management, toxic culture, very stressful and high turn over of staff

fun

workpalce culture amazing and amazing place to work and fun place. good member of staff who can help you if you are struggling or having a diffucilt time

Enjoyed it

Been a roller coaster job I do is 24/7 hard job long hours management some great some not so great not had pay rise in 11 yrsWork is hard having to work holidays xmas new Yr easter etc gets you down

Pros

Cons

Have to pay to park

Slow paced and Workload too much

I worked for Sunderland Council on the agency as a cleansing, parks and refuse operative for 9 months and the job itself was brilliant, it was the best job I have ever done. However, all the managers look out for their mates and give them easy jobs and less workload and thus, all the workload was passed onto me, I got it done, no complaints as I love to graft. When the permanent jobs came up I gave the best interview I have ever given on top of the fact that I was a very good worker and yet, I was the only one not to get a permanent position. I was well and truly shafted. The managers employ their family and mates even though they are all lazy and incompetent. If I still lived in Sunderland I would refuse to pay my council tax because of the people they employ. Too many of the workforce have places to hide when they should be out working, they go into betting shops, their own houses and even do their weekly shop in works time! It is a complete disgrace. Something really needs to be done about this. I can spill the beans on everything that goes on at Sunderland city council, I would do it for free as well. The people of Sunderland need to hear what I have got to say!

Pros

pay

Cons

too many to list

Brown stuff... never again.

Haven`t got a clue what your on about, never had an interview, never applied for an interview. Worked for them for 9 years,, worst 9 years of my life. management haven`t got a clue, workmates biggest bunch of backstabbing ??? i have ever worked with....

Pros

Cons

Bunch of that hole in your bottom....

Job ruined by poor senior management

Total lack of senior management leadership and failure to resolve issues in order to make the job workable. They managed to turn a job that I enjoyed, and was good at, into a nightmare, so much so that I ended up retiring early.

A cover up culture

A company that lost its values, due to breaking away from the council. The culture has become about looking good not being good. Would benefit from being more transparent and more funds to get back in track.

A very rewarding and supportive place to work, I loved it!

The management support, work culture and general environment were excellent and very conducive to work and personal development. Lots of opportunities for further relevant training and a very decent cultural and mental health support network

good experience

this was a good job to learn from also enjoyed dealing with members of the public and making them happy with the service that was provided although staff got treated in a bad manner i still enjoyed my experience here

The most enjoyable part of the job

Helping vulnerable members of the public to secure an income and providing support and advocacy. Negotiating with employers, creditors and government departments to resolve stressful situations.

Sunderland city council

Good employer. A contract and salary always sorted out and paid punctually. Interview process was smooth and quickly informed of outcome of interview. Transition into role managed well.

shocking place to work

wouldnt work for them again.very poorly managed.food rubbish.management rubbish.hours rubbish thanks .very porrly paid.very poorly looked after.

KS2 Teacher

Ok council to work for. CPD support. Working collaboratively with other colleagues and schools and other teams. HR suppprt was effective. Happy to have worked for this council.

Good lads

Good work environment but I was agency and getting ripped of by them so I left would of liked a full time job with them. But hey ho got to follow the money.

Friendly, and enjoyable place to work

There was never two days the same, I really enjoyed the variety of work, I gained reception skills, organisational skills and much more. Management are very visible and approachable. There wasn't a hardest part of the job, and I enjoyed all parts the job.

Good employer

Worked for Sunderland Council for 14 years. Loved every minute. They were efficient, organised and caring employers. I wish I was still in employed there.

Fantastic learning opportunities

Always nice to know that you have security in your job. I would to work for Sunderland city council again. Wages are always paid into your bank account on time and I have never had any queries.

Pros

Holidays

Cons

Na

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SUNDERLAND CITY COUNCIL. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement