Superdrug
Happiness score is 45 out of 100

Superdrug Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,996 reviews

Found 1,996 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,059 reviews

Productive and friendly place to work

Featured review

Superdrug selected this as a representative review
I found that whilst working within Superdrug it was easy to approach other staff members and they would provide me with any information I needed to complete a task. Every one made me feel extremely welcome and I felt as if I was ready to work straight away.A typical day at work would consist of everybody smiling and ready to work, I'd enter work at 9am and was always greeted by the other staff members, I'd then go around the store looking at ways I could make the stock more presentable and to clear up any mess, when we would start to get customers I would stand by the door greeting all customers and I had made sure I told them if they need any assistance to come and find me, I would then give any advice/recommendations/product information that the customer wanted.I learned a lot of customer service skills and communication skills, I wasn't very confident speaking to new people before working here but I understood what my manager expected of me so I promptly stepped up to the mark to assist the customers.My co-workers were extremely friendly and would check if I was ok and handling fine, after the first day they saw how independent and mature I was.The hardest part of the job was to work in the heat as the shop was very warm throughout the Spring season and a lot needed to be done but we all overcame this and did our jobs.The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely gaining a lot of new skills and meeting new people everyday, I now love speaking to new people and assisting them.

Pros

meeting new people and gaining new skills

Cons

the heat

Overworked and underpaid

As a supervisor the pay is £10.15, the rate for a supervisor stays the same regardless of ages. There are no real benefits to working here, you get 30% discount on exclusive and own brand products otherwise it’s a general 10%. You are overworked and managers dump their slack onto us. Lots of shoplifting incidents and no matter how much you log them, the company still doesn’t give you security. Then when you don’t go after the thieves they tell you you’re not doing your job and when you do go after them they tell you not to so you can’t win. Targets for sales are set way too high and there is no gratitude or incentive from the company. If you have a good team then that’s about the only thing going. Wouldn’t recommend working here at all.

Insights into Superdrug

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energising work tasks

Okay

Small contracts but plenty of opportunities for overtime especially during peak season. Unrealistic targets forced upon you from above.Supportive upper management.

Pros

Supportive management, pay, flexible shifts

Cons

Long hours, stressful, small contracts

The staff make the job

Constantly selling extra products to customers that don't want it. The staff are the best part of the job especially management who help in any way they can with changing shifts for you giving you time off.

Pros

The staff.

Cons

Constant upselling.

Fun place to work

It can be stressful (but that’s mostly due to awkward customers) but overall I’m very happily surprised with how lovely the company is to work with! I would recommend it as a great starter job.

Pros

Develops customer service skills

Cons

Can become quite stressful

Stressful and not worth it

This is not a nice place to work.Management think that you can devote your whole life to the job, not caring if education is your top priority. They seem to think that the more stress they place upon you, the better you will do but the truth is, it makes you hate the job. I would never recommend this company to anyone as the few benefits do not make the bad things worth it.

OK for young people

Too much pressure on targets and make you feel its your fault if customers don't want a pack of wipes etc on star buys.....no incentive to actually achieve targets as it goes towards managers bonuses....

Fun place to work

Love working here making more friends and having a good time with new faces you get to fo different courses like llop ppt and work in different earas

An awful place to. Steer clear.

An awful place to work. Stear clear. Management don’t care about staff. When working here I found the management to be very unhelpful and always talking about other members of staff behind their backs. When I brought this to the AMs attention nothing was done. Had to leave as it was effecting my mental health. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND

Pros

Cons

Management disgraceful

Pressured into selling

Terrible place to work, the managers care more about the figures and stats of the store instead of how the staff feel. The whole company is run horribly

Slow paced but welcoming workplace

Extremely pushy on Beauty card targets, not enough recognition for hard work and very slow paced work. Ideal for a first job at a young age; there are opportunities to move up to team leader then onto management but the work load and salary are not equal. As a whole, personally, I would not recommend working here but every Superdrug is a different environment depending where you work. If you are someone who prefers to be busy all the time and always needs something to do then this is not the place for you however, if you prefer or need to take things slower then this would be a nice, suitably place to start. Although, it has its benefits too, such as the teamwork involved, Superdrug is a popular shop and you become friendly with the regulars and also there is a 30% staff discount on own products too and other staff discount benefits.

Love my shop I work in superdrug cowley

I 💯 love working for company alot off job opportunities very flexible with working hours good benefits for working for company staff very kind and supportive

2 Years and left feeling bad

I worked for Superdrug for 2 years. I enjoyed every moment of working there and would recommend for any young adult in education or just about to leave school looking for A Job. Its a perfect first day job. After I was finishing my studies I asked the manger for more hours. She agree but it never happened! as weeks were pasting my shifts turned from 3 days a week to 2 days then to 1 day a week! I sadly had to leave and I hand in my notice. After I hand in my notices my boss kept giving me a cold shoulder and would avoid any interaction with me. I felt like I was being punished for leaving and for finding a new job my last day my colleagues surprised with a leaving gift. Very sweet of them all. I do miss working for Superdrug as I enjoyed working there.

A lot of pressure and stressful

The management expect so much from a sales adviser pressuring them to sell star buys and points cards, making the shove it down customers throats even if they say no. Its not worth the money you get for the job. Area managers treat all staff like dirt and talk down to them all the time saying that they are rubbish at their job. Management get bonuses from the work sales assistants do but sales get nothing. The only good thing about the job is the discount

Fast paced but enjoyable

Really fast paced with lots of targets and high expectations. It is however a really fun place to work, great working with cosmetics and beauty products. The days go so quickly! Annual bonus and pay rise for management and great Christmas good bag.

Tough gig as manager

Not enough hours to run a store. Serious demands from the company and unachievable and unnecessary targets. If they let you get on with the job of running the shop, you would do just fine. Leave the marketing to the marketing department.

Chill job, can become very repetitive

Job was relatively easy can become mundane from how repetitive it is. Manager is lovely, however little job security people are constantly coming and going.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Repetitive

fds

Till work / shop floor workgreat staff discountsGreat work atmosphereStaff range from younger workers to very experienced individuals - great balancedecent paygood work-life balance depending on how flexible your manager is.

Pros

good work life balance

Cons

Pay can be better

It was fun when I first started...

The place is ok and it's on the city center itself. It was a good place to work before when I started but since the Pharmacy Manager left and the other pharmacy staff left as well, it has been a bit hard for me. I've been trying to figure things out myself since I'm the only one left in the pharmacy team. and they've been pushing everyone with targets, you'd get text messages, phone calls and emails saying to put more effort on targets.I think I would like to stay longer here if only I have a Pharmacy Manager to rely on.

Pros

It's not a very busy store

Cons

Needle Exchange Service Not Very Good Management

Portadown Superdrug

Do not get paid enough to deal with passive aggressive team leaders who think they’re managers. Good discount and nice atmosphere on shift before the assistant manager left and store manager went off sick. Not back breaking work but no need at all for silly rules to impress some gimp in a suit.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Most of it

Can either be the best or worst place to work

I loved working for superdrug for 3 years but the last year went to bits, it all depends on what management you have and what your store team in like, I loved everyone I worked with until management changed and then it was the worst , can be a little like school full of gossips but I met some of my best mates there , it honestly depends what store you work at also contract are little most of time you work more than your contract but when January comes your struggle when it has to go back to pure contract hours

Pros

If good management- the best work environment

Cons

Can be toxic, little contracts, bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Superdrug. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement