Surrey County Council

Surrey County Council Employee Reviews

I enjoyed my time in Surrey County Council; worked in a small, specialist team. Nice, supportive atmosphere; helpful colleagues and fair management. Unfortunately the workload was too big which resulted in stress and health issues.
The company and job is amazing. Something I never thought I would do. I was welcomed with open arms and treated like I was a member of the family from the get go.We work in a small team and although a lot of it is lone working in the prisons, the team are always at the end of the phone if you need to speak to them.Best move I ever made.
Pros
Salary
Very professional, team friendly and a joy to work there. Small office but now moved I believe. Very dedicated people although not always got a can do culture.
Cons
Bureaucracy
Experienced Administrator working with a good team who go the extra mile to ensure the best jobs are done for the Client. Good teamwork and friendliness with colleagues at all times
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Phones busy busy
The job itself is rewarding and day-to-day experience is an opportunity to help others and feel satisfaction in your work. However, the management is very poor and seems to have little regard for the staff lower down the ladder than them. Lack of communication and very little consideration of how quickly changing policies impact staff, with developments often announced publicly before staff are even aware. Morale and job satisfaction are hard to come by.
Pros
Job itself is rewarding and worthwhile, colleagues and line managers are supportive and want to do their jobs well.
Cons
Management is a detriment to staff wellbeing and satisfaction, poor communication and little regard for individuals.
I worked for GBC and it was awful. The management were unprofessional, lazy and manipulative. Success wasn’t about hard work it was about being popular so this played into the manipulation dynamics quite significantly.
Pros
Getting paid
Cons
Everything else
Average day, there are none - the work changes on a day to day basis - people are friendly and very committed to their jobs. If you are a committed individual who isn't worried about money, then the council might be just for you.
Good work place, with an excellent outcome focused and collaborative procurement and commissioning teams; and professional line management. Working with commissioning and procurement teams was really good and we got to collaborate well between the teams and do some good outcomes in my time with the Council. The team was quite ethical and advanced and there is a good centre of excellence in procurement, contracts management and programs in place. I really liked the head of service I worked with. Excellent professional and caring line manager. Probably have not seen one like her in my career. Strong and empowered strategic commissioning teams and health partnership teams; and there is a centre of excellence in place. A bit far from London and train system not that helpful or on time ( south west is not that good ), but people are/were generally nice and management professional, detailed and supportive. The organisation can do with speeding things up and planning well in advance - so in my view; the team I worked was a bit too slow paste and relaxed; but this is probably the case in most procurement organisations; and everything else was a plus. Stronger governance and program and project management disciplines should be introduced to procurement teams across government commercial functions to improve speed, quality and delivery to the time/resource. Longer term contracts probably are best in terms of result orientation. Probably could have done with a bit of bigger pay package considering short term of the contract but...
Pros
As above
Cons
As above - bad train system and slow paste probably are the key cons.
My typical day at work is responding to adult safeguarding concerns and I work with the most amazing team mates and managers who understand the concept of equality and diversity. As a BAME ,I feel supported and encouraged within my team, and I can confirm there are opportunities for career progression in Surrey as they have a fantastic practice development team. I would recommend working for SCC
Pros
Team's get together, (Quiz Friday/free lunch)
Cons
Covid-19
It's fine if you like a variety of jobs, and the hours, I will explain more on a interview, don't know what to rely write about Surrey County Council, been working for them for about 15 years, we have a house in pegwell and are looking for a job near ramsgate
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Surrey County Council?
SCC are on a fast-paced journey of improvement to become the service that residents can rely on for the very best care. I have had a very good work/life balance while working in Surrey and supportive managers.
Mixed back of good and bad work relationships with other staff members looking down upon others. However, I enjoyed my time working with this organisation and look forward to working for them again in future
its a very good place to work as the team consists of people from all over the world and the management is excellent and the same with the support. would recommend anyone to work with surrey.
Working with Surrey is a safe and secure and no one day is the same. Management are helpful, staff ensures that they are doing their best to support the resident and their family and also keeping them safe
SCC is undergoing an extensive period of rapid change and restructures to streamline and redefine a sustainable business. However, in the meantime, funding cuts and reduced revenue are putting staff are under immense pressure to maintain 'business as usual' in often difficult and stressful times. Staff teams are extremely committed and go over and above to achieve outcomes despite these daily challenges. Management can be supportive but are not always fully aware of the challenges faced by staff. The recent restructures have seen a large numbers of redundancies and loss of skills and experience which has impacted on the delivery of some services. If SCC's ambitious plans are realised, SCC will again be an innovative local authority to work for.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Restructuring
Working with great colleagues was the highlight of my experience of working for Surrey Libraries. Staff work extremely hard in their roles and strive to make libraries are welcoming place for visitors and colleagues.
The job was great; the management disgraceful, just out for themselves no support of team. Work / life balance no existent, management interactions were belittling and none supportive. Management only wanted people who would say yes to them and ignore the best interest of the young people ir staff Benefits; additional scheme that started off great but changed and not as good. I wouldn’t recommend surreyc CC
Wonderful setting with fantastic pupils. My interview was relaxed but very professional. If wasn’t for low pay and hours not suitable I would remain in position.
Really good wage, great benefits, great company. Interview progress was easy, warm team. Very thorough with training which I found great. (3 weeks in total)
Busy and target driven Learned to work under pressure and prioritise my work Management culture was okay not outstanding Hardest part of the job was lifting the heaving boxes with the archived files. Enjoyable part was the the flexible working hours
Good company to work with lovely people would recommend to work for them. I worked in a school kitchens and the boss was really nice and understanding in family problems