Surrey County Council
Happiness score is 63 out of 100

Surrey County Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom176 reviews

I have been an Admin assistant for 6 months. Great team & management. They encourage you to progress. Workload is not bad. Very flexible. Work life balance can be well achieved

Awful

Bad management No progressionManagers have been promoted due to how long they worked there not now much they know.Love to micromanage and never stuck up for you when you are being bullied by staff

Insights into Surrey County Council

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Friendly and supportive team.

Look after staff and their well-being. Flexible working from home. Opportunities to progress and also many training courses should you wish to take. Management keep in regular contact and very supportive and good at boosting confidence.

Pros

Flexible working Friendly and supportive team Very supportive manager Good benefits

Cons

Pay not as good as private companies, but it’s more important to me how I’m treated.

Stressful and disorganisation I may as well be self employed

Disorganisation Having to complete timesheets and mileage etc miles Takes time and lacking in training/instructions I have recently started working here and have been extremely disappointed so far with how things are ran I now regret leaving a private company as I was expecting something with the local authorities to be of high standards and 100% organisation

Pros

Na

Cons

Parking issues

Unhealthy environment to work in.

Toxic environment. If you fit you'll survive. System encourages people to report on their colleagues. I did meet some lovely people and unfortunately many very toxic people who would stamp over you to get the time off and Flexi days they wanted. Too many bosses get sucked in by personality and set up the toxic staff to feel superior and create an unhealthy competitiveness in what should be a team approach. It's a horrible feeling having to work in an environment where you have to learn the game and manipulation strategies to survive. Not sustainable for good mental health.Poor work life balance. High expectations to meet targets though I would blame the govt for what is expected and available funding to meet client support needs. Shame as I enjoyed aspects of the job.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

High expectations work loads not manageable.

The worst place I have ever worked at.

Reduced staff morale, extremely poor management, very minimal support form HR department, toxic work culture, high employee turnover, employees aren't adequately rewarded,

Pros

Great colleagues, that make the workplace more tolerable

Cons

long hours, underpaid, undervalued morale

Inclusive, friendly approachable manager. I enjoy working here

Surrey CC adult learning really invest time and resources into their staff. Lots of training offered. Pay is good rate, extra perks such as discounted travel. The hours are fair. Many are working from home.

Pros

Staff friendly, inclusive, career progression

Cons

Stressful environment with constant changing rules

Stress levels high affecting health management only cover their backs not honest will push you out if you are not liked by them. Snitching and gossiping a norm.

Pros

N/a

Cons

Health issues affected /micro management

Good supportive team but is variable across the council. Could be better at development opportunities

It’s a stressful job where ever you work in this sector but Surrey is definitely better than some authorities.Any change takes forever but your individual colleagues and managers in your team will make a huge difference day to day.

Pros

Annual leave, pension, supportive environment

Cons

Understaffed and underfunded

Friendly teams & good energy

I have worked here for 5 years and moved teams/services 3 times as I wanted to branch out, gain new skills and get paid more. There are lots of opportunities to develop your career at SCC if you're determined to get out of your comfort zone and give it a try. Plenty of internal and external training opportunities, such as fully paid apprenticeships up to level 7. Management has always been very supportive and I feel appreciated in my role. Agile working is encouraged and good equipment provided too.

Pros

Pension, car lease scheme

Cons

Depending on your role, it can be busy and hectic especially if your team is short on staff, but in my experience these issues are resolved quickly

Like a second family

The company and job is amazing. Something I never thought I would do. I was welcomed with open arms and treated like I was a member of the family from the get go.We work in a small team and although a lot of it is lone working in the prisons, the team are always at the end of the phone if you need to speak to them.Best move I ever made.

Pros

Salary

Lovely people

Very professional, team friendly and a joy to work there. Small office but now moved I believe. Very dedicated people although not always got a can do culture.

Cons

Bureaucracy

Good work place

Experienced Administrator working with a good team who go the extra mile to ensure the best jobs are done for the Client. Good teamwork and friendliness with colleagues at all times

Pros

Free drinks

Cons

Phones busy busy

Fun and supportive colleagues and supportive and fair management.

I enjoyed my time in Surrey County Council; worked in a small, specialist team. Nice, supportive atmosphere; helpful colleagues and fair management. Unfortunately the workload was too big which resulted in stress and health issues.

Poor management in Library service despite rewarding job

The job itself is rewarding and day-to-day experience is an opportunity to help others and feel satisfaction in your work. However, the management is very poor and seems to have little regard for the staff lower down the ladder than them. Lack of communication and very little consideration of how quickly changing policies impact staff, with developments often announced publicly before staff are even aware. Morale and job satisfaction are hard to come by.

Pros

Job itself is rewarding and worthwhile, colleagues and line managers are supportive and want to do their jobs well.

Cons

Management is a detriment to staff wellbeing and satisfaction, poor communication and little regard for individuals.

Terrible Management

I worked for GBC and it was awful. The management were unprofessional, lazy and manipulative. Success wasn’t about hard work it was about being popular so this played into the manipulation dynamics quite significantly.

Pros

Getting paid

Cons

Everything else

Good company

Average day, there are none - the work changes on a day to day basis - people are friendly and very committed to their jobs. If you are a committed individual who isn't worried about money, then the council might be just for you.

Good work place, with an excellent, knowledgeable, outcome focused and collaborative procurement and commissioning teams and professional management

Good work place, with an excellent outcome focused and collaborative procurement and commissioning teams; and professional line management. Working with commissioning and procurement teams was really good and we got to collaborate well between the teams and do some good outcomes in my time with the Council. The team was quite ethical and advanced and there is a good centre of excellence in procurement, contracts management and programs in place. I really liked the head of service I worked with. Excellent professional and caring line manager. Probably have not seen one like her in my career. Strong and empowered strategic commissioning teams and health partnership teams; and there is a centre of excellence in place. A bit far from London and train system not that helpful or on time ( south west is not that good ), but people are/were generally nice and management professional, detailed and supportive. The organisation can do with speeding things up and planning well in advance - so in my view; the team I worked was a bit too slow paste and relaxed; but this is probably the case in most procurement organisations; and everything else was a plus. Stronger governance and program and project management disciplines should be introduced to procurement teams across government commercial functions to improve speed, quality and delivery to the time/resource. Longer term contracts probably are best in terms of result orientation. Probably could have done with a bit of bigger pay package considering short term of the contract but...

Pros

As above

Cons

As above - bad train system and slow paste probably are the key cons.

Supportive, productive and fun workplace.

My typical day at work is responding to adult safeguarding concerns and I work with the most amazing team mates and managers who understand the concept of equality and diversity. As a BAME ,I feel supported and encouraged within my team, and I can confirm there are opportunities for career progression in Surrey as they have a fantastic practice development team. I would recommend working for SCC

Pros

Team's get together, (Quiz Friday/free lunch)

Cons

Covid-19

Later

It's fine if you like a variety of jobs, and the hours, I will explain more on a interview, don't know what to rely write about Surrey County Council, been working for them for about 15 years, we have a house in pegwell and are looking for a job near ramsgate

Surrey County Council

SCC are on a fast-paced journey of improvement to become the service that residents can rely on for the very best care. I have had a very good work/life balance while working in Surrey and supportive managers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Surrey County Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement