Sussex Health Care

Sussex Health Care Employee Reviews

Very poor pay, I thought sussex healthcare may of learnt from past mistakes of losing good workers due to low wages. The company needs to pay better to recruit better.
I knew what I was walking into when I was interviewed and joined SHC. I knew about the poor press and negative feeling toward the company but the people I worked with tried very hard to make it succeed and to me, that is really important. There were clearly systemic problems but these were at least being addressed and the two leaders that I worked under (I reported directly to the Chief Executive) were strong, determined and focused. I think I achieved a great deal while working there and was only swayed by a better opportunity elsewhere. I wish them all (genuinely) all the success for the future - they deserve it.
Pros
Challenges
Cons
Distance to work every day.
I worket at Kingsmead Care center for 3 months and i had never meet in my life so much people with hate and racism problems The manager hated me and her behavior was not for a manager.She did not respect my work and what i have done there.Deputy manager was full of hate for me the moment i got there.Almost evrybody hates her there.And the manager too.I heard soo many horrible stories about theyr behavior with staff.They shout even to the old people!!!! Kingsmead care center is the worst place ever and i am not the only one hwo belive these.It's a place full of hate and racism problems.Sorry for my bad english.Just dont go there....you will regreted for the rest of your life! And you will never be happy at your work.It's a prison of hate and racial problems and RUDE.
Good place to work, has its ups and downs especially with the recent press however is generally a nice place to work in, working alongside people willing to help and the people we support
SHC has failed to move on from the 1980s in its culture, environment and remuneration/benefits. No recognition of hard work, loyalty and ‘going the extra mile.’ Good staff do not stay and the regulators continually grade the organisation poorly. Lessons are not learnt. No canteen, 20 days holiday - a very high turnover of staff.
Pros
Free parking, some nice staff
Cons
Pay, holiday, benefits, culture
Don't judge the company by some of the poor reviews on here! SHC is a great company to work for and is currently going through a number of changes for the better. . When joining I was surprised by the number of training opportunities that are offered. The staff are very friendly and approachable. I would recommend Sussex Health Care.
Owners/management/HQ an unsupportive, exploitative shambles. e.g. When I got a parking fine the company didn't pay it in time & charged me the excess!
Most of the head office newly employed staff is disgusting!!! Never support you and don't care anything, but their own comfort. The wages are below the average, but the expectations from you - SO HIGH!!!
I was happy with the way employees are valued and treated well .the team Spirit is brilliant and work environment is full of fun and yet very productive.The management and administration staff are very organised.
There was a clique in the office. Job training did not exist. Boring work. My predecessor lasted 6 months. Definitely the most unfriendliest office I had ever worked in but I was determined not to be pushed out. My only involvement with the homes themselves was via the paperwork they produced and therefore cannot comment on the staff within the homes or indeed how they were run.
There is no communication between management and carers. HR do not listen to their employees when they express concerns. Staff do their own thing and do not follow the protocol and guidelines. Management do not know how to deal with negative behaviour within their staff. Bullying is rife with staff. Safeguarding? what safeguarding. Employees are trained in safeguarding but do not put it into practise. Only 1 set of uniform for a full time employee.
26 July 2019
We are sorry to learn that your experience at SHC was not great. The organisation is going through a time of change in terms of the way in which we support the people who live in the Homes, and how we work with them.Times of change and improvement can sometimes cause staff to become concerned or unsure about what lies ahead. SHC is determined to succeed and would like to take as many staff as possible on the journey ahead of us so that we are providing outstanding care and support.We are sorry that you are no longer working for SHC and should you feel able please contact Human Resources on 01403 217338 to discuss your concerns in more detail. This will give us the opportunity to investigate and continue on our journey of improvement.Human Resources Team
Support Workers seriously underpaid; they deserve a lot more than the minimum wage for the work they do. Nurses hourly rate also extremely poor so company has difficulty recruiting. They do offer nice, modern and subsidised accommodation for the staff at the homes, so minimum wage is probably fine in that case but not everyone wants or needs the accommodation. Management appear to be paid quite well but office staff below management are also poorly paid with no incentives or company benefits. The people were nice and the support workers very committed to the people they supported, despite being paid a pittance.
Pros
The staff generally very nice, hardworking and committed. The Training Academy, free parking
Cons
Poor pay, no incentives/benefits for office workers, no where to go at lunchtimes so had to sit at desk or in car to eat lunch
28 July 2019
This company is going down the drain, stay well away they don’t give a toss about you as an employee! Pay is terrible you can find better at other companies! The job is mainly just filling out paperwork as that’s all they care about!
Pros
People you work with most of the time
Cons
Bad pay, bad management
28 July 2019
We are sorry to learn that your experiences at SHC are not great. The organisation is going through a time of change in terms of the way in which we support the people who live in the Homes, and how we work with them.Times of change and improvement can sometimes cause staff to become concerned or unsure about what lies ahead. SHC is determined to succeed and would like to take as many staff as possible on the journey ahead of us so that we are providing outstanding care and support.Should you feel able please contact Human Resources on 01403 217338 to discuss your concerns in more detail. This will give us the opportunity to investigate and continue on our journey of improvement.Human Resources Team
Worst place I've ever worked. The pay is awful, treated unfairly, no one listens to you. Service users are at risk all the time! Lots of bullying going on. Do not work here. Avoid all Sussex healthcare homes, all money grabbing!
Pros
The service users
Cons
Hours, staff, management.
28 July 2019
SHC is a brilliant company to work for and the work is extremely rewarding and fulfilling. There are plenty of training opportunities with a variety of courses available. The role is very varied, the staff are always appreciated and It is a pleasure to be around both the staff and the residents. I would highly recommend Sussex Health Care.
26 July 2019
We are pleased that you joined SHC and your experiences are really positive.Human Resources Team
I work on night duty as a Senior Registered Nurse in a nursing home caring for group of service users with learning difficulties. Some of them have complex needs and have challenging behaviour. My duties include giving medication,preparing care plans and providing a safe and comfortable environment. Part of duties include liasigning with the public via telephone and emails. Many of my colleagues are from abroad and I have spent many enjoyable hours learning about their different cultures. Working at the nursing home has taught me that everyone is entitled to be treated with respect and sometimes humour. Whilst ensuring not only their basic needs are met but also their emotional well-being is important.
Pros
Night duty, week ends and cover unsociable hours.
Cons
The twelve hour shifts can be physical and mentally challenging
28 July 2019
I worked here for 3 years. Lots of bullying. Management had favourites. Overworked and under paid. Managers communication with each other and the staff is non existant. HR look out for the company and not the employee. Safeguarding doesn't exist. Lots of things hidden from the families of the service users. Lack of staff. Management have family members working under them so they can leave through a shift and do their own shopping and get paid for it. Racism towards English workers from managers.
Pros
Service users are fantastic
Cons
Everything else
28 July 2019
I have worked here over two years now, find everyone really supportive and have a great work life/balance. Their training is great and you can do loads of courses
Pros
Training, free staff transport
26 July 2019
We are pleased that you joined our team, and that you are enjoying working for the organisation and with the people we support to enable them to live full lives.Human Resources Team
Great if you want a foot in the door of care work with training and qualifications. Expected to work very hard and under a lot of pressure. Basic pay with little hope of a reasonable rise if anything at all. You get a tin of biscuits at Christmas.
Pros
experience, training and qualifications
Cons
Long hours, no work life balance and low pay
28 July 2019
We are sorry to learn that your experience at SHC was not great. The organisation is going through a time of change in terms of the way in which we support the people who live in the Homes, and how we work with them.Times of change and improvement can sometimes cause staff to become concerned or unsure about what lies ahead. SHC is determined to succeed and would like to take as many staff as possible on the journey ahead of us so that we are providing outstanding care and support.We are sorry that you are no longer working for SHC and should you feel able please contact Human Resources on 01403 217338 to discuss your concerns in more detail. This will give us the opportunity to look into your concerns and continue on our journey of improvement.Human Resources Team
I enjoyed taking care of children with disabilities, helping them eat, drink, and while relaxing and entertaining to play and communicate with them, making them a better day. I went to college once a week with them. I have learned to be a warmer and loving person, I have learned to look after people with disabilities. The manager, nurses and carers are all good and I felt like we were a big family. There was nothing hard once I learned how to do it right, and when I realized how important it was for them, it became pleasant and fulfilling.
Pros
Staff Accommodation
Cons
Long Hours
I have worked for Sussex health care for almost 5 years, I have gone from Senior Care assistant to Team Leader to Deputy Manager. Training is great and there is always something else to learn and improve yourself on. I did work for the Company from 1998-2007 then cam back in 2014. Despite what you hear please come and see for yourselves, don't believe all that you hear.
Pros
good learning and training.
Cons
honestly can't think of any.
  1. Employee reviews