Work wellbeing score is 71 out of 100

SWANSEA COUNCIL Employee Reviews

United Kingdom40 reviews

jobworkstaffenjoyworkingcouncilbadhard

Invaluable Horticultural Experience.

I liked working for Swansea Botanic Gardens mix of old timers and newer colleagues to learn from a great bunch of colourful supportive characters. Apprentice Gardener here is a great start for someone with no horticultural training to get a foot in the door to the craft. Job entails generally mowing, weeding, pruning, preparing and planting flower beds with opportunity to learn other skills. This job helped me in securing a gardener role with another employer as I needed to work less hours, also the role was temporary with no guarantee of permanent employment, the job is underpaid for the work expected of the apprentice but the work experience is extremely valuable. The council has old kit and cheap gear, a bit slow to innovate or try new things which is probably due to financial budgets and a tough economy, you just have to make do and crack on best you can.

Pros

Beautiful place to work / Valuable Job Experience

Cons

Old kit & Job uncertainty

Teaching

Much like the rest of the country. Fun at times, annoying at others. The LEA is, like all others, remote but functional. Each school has it's own problems and solutions.

Great team and managers, good pay and benefits

I don't work here anymore, as was on a fixed term contract, however I would absolutely love to go back to my job there (though I can't as it no longer exists). It was a fully remote role. The team I worked with were so friendly, fun, and lovely. The supervisors and team managers were the same. Full training. Supported. Good pay and benefits. I've no negatives for the role I did within the council.

Pros

Remote, flexible, good pay and benefits, supportive management team.

Cons

worse places to work by a mile

Most jobs are salaried well, more than likely you will get along with your colleagues.Mental health support is very good and accessibleAnnual leave is good, once you hit the 10 year mark you get the full 34 days, time off in general isn't hard to get either.

Pros

salary is good

Cons

management dont have a clue most of the time, people on money they have no business earning, a lot of cascading work loads down, working from home for certain management but not allowing the workers below them to have it

I love the job but not the pay

The job is so fulfilling and a lot of the staff are amazing to work with, it’s just the finance that is put aside for salaries.Everyone seems to be scraping by, just about surviving on the bare minimum.

Insights into SWANSEA COUNCIL

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility

Edtremely productive. Fast paced and stressful

Too stressful to maintain good mental health. Excellent in job training. Regular staff appraisals. A big split between mnagement and front facing staff in relation to working practices... restrictions.

Exceptionally abusive supervisor to nearly all workers

Supervisor's attitude and behaviour is trash to nearly everyone in team.Support is nil.Work is exhausting and extremly difficult to complete within the week.Pay does not meet the danger risks or quantity of work/jobs.Getting holidays is close to impossible to book.Expected to use personal phone for work purposes.Do yourself a favour. You're better than this.

Pros

Ummmm

Cons

Read review

Fantastic team, enjoyable job

Worked for the Council for about 7 years. Supportive environment, good benefits and opportunities to develop your career. Regular in-house and external training.

Great company

Work is hard but you are well paid, Flexi and good holidays. I would recommend them to anyone thinking of a long term career. A lot of jobs are now working from home as well

Pros

Flexi time

Hard copy of work

Was fun at first the managers are great was my first ever roll but I like the people and the age of the kitchen. Made some great friends along the way and married the boss.

good work environment

Enjoyed my time there people are good to work for, management care about employees. free equipment and uniform provided. Good pay rates on the weekends.

Could be so much better

Stressful and bot at all enjoyable. Very cliquey. If you don't mind doing all the rubbish jobs and criticism off managers and senior staff who are woefully uninterested then this is the place.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Work life balance

A fun experience

As it was only a days work, there’s not a lot to talk about. But it was a well organised, well managed day. It was a fun experience, would definitely do again.

Pros

Flexible breaks

Cons

Long day

Enjoyable

Great enjoyable work place.Easy goingHelpfulnessFriendly staffNice work hoursWell managed On site parkingGreat pensionHealth and wellbeing help if needed.

Good to work for

Working as a school crossing patrol officer for the council at a primary school. The job is rewarding and meeting the children every day is delightful.

Pros

Working outdoors

Poor pay

Poor pay for the responsibilityWas third in charge of a large school and was paid the same as the cleaners. Split shifts finally did it for me. Could never fully switch off. Only got worse with covid

Pros

Stable job

Cons

Poor pay and no scope for advancement

Stressful, bullying culture

Salary is reasonable but far too much work and getting worse. Bullying culture throughout department causing staff stress and anxiety, resulting in mental health issues.

Pros

Hours of work

Cons

Bullying and harassment culture

Don't do it

90% of the management are overpaid and would struggle to work in the private sector.Money wastage is crazy, blowing budgets just before the end of the year just to ensure the pot doesn't get small the following.I would not recommend working for the council, as the pay isn't great and the lack of consideration for tax payers money is crazy.Outsourcing to private companies would be more cost effective and the service would be better. Just my personal opinion.

Pros

Good annual leave and sick pay (if your that way inclined)

Cons

Endless

Good relationships with internal and external stakeholders

My work was always supported from within and externally to the department.Workload can vary due to demand from other departments.The workplace culture is varied due to pressures on departments, politically, financially and from demands of the service to the community of Swansea.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Red tape

Not very well led by management

Since joining the council, the department manager has not asked how I am doing and does not seem to care. My line manager ignores my experience, knowledge and qualifications and likes to micro-manage my time at every opportunity.

Really good

I was a temporary worker for 7 years and really enjoyed it, the work was hard but everyone I worked with were really hard working people and very helpful. I was treated very fairly and other members of staff were very respectfully. Was also given all the rite PPE and training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SWANSEA COUNCIL. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement